X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spykids777
    • Dec 2010

Problem with a Sub

Hi, I know this is not a JL Audio Sub section but I know that a lot of the people on this forum like me have B&W 803Di speakers with JL audio Fathom 113 Sub. I have a serious problem where the pin of my RCA cable broke off in the Lt/Mono socket on the back of my sub :M . Any suggestions on what to do? Has anyone taken off the back of the Sub before? How easy is it? I received an e-mail from the company NOT to remove the central Hex Nut - no explanation why. Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks.
  • jeepers
    • Mar 2010

Is it possible to bring the F113 to your dealer for him to take care of it ? That would be safer.

Comment

• spykids777
      • Dec 2010

As you know it is a BEAST to carry. By myself I can barely drag it across the floor! If nothing I might have to get them to come to my house.

As per the tech support reply I can use the RT input if I am using only a mono sub or use a RCA to XLR adapter and use the lt/Mono input. is anyone doing that? I just wanted to take care of this problem and not just ignore it - just trying to keep the Sub perfect with no defects

Thanks

Comment

• leej
        • Feb 2009

Is there any way to screw a very small screw into the pin, to pull it out? I can't immagine that the pin is lodged in very tight. If there is no opening in the pin to screw into, and you are good with tools, you could drill a small hole into the pin and then use the screw to extract the pin. If you aren't skilled at drilling such a hole, I would just use the Rt input, as it would be easy to damage the connector.
        After posting this I thought about the possibility of the dirll bit binding in the pin, causing the pin to spin and damage the connector. You might be better off having a qualified tech do the repair. (or just use the Rt input connector)
        Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
        B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• mb225
          • Jan 2009

I'm not sure if RCA pins are magnetic or not, but maybe you could try to use a very strong magnet to pull the pin out?

Comment

• spykids777
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mb225
            I'm not sure if RCA pins are magnetic or not, but maybe you could try to use a very strong magnet to pull the pin out?
            Thanks for all your feedback. I am not sure a magnet will work. I talked to tech support at JL Audio - I have to say WONDERFUL support even on a weekend night. :T . Apparently the Fathom subs are Vaccum sealed and require at least 2 people with prongs on one end to break the seal and pull the sub apart. Even after that the whole thing has to be disasembled to get to the RCA jack from inside. Also the central allen wrench screw apparently turns the Torroidal transformer and it will snap if the central screw is turned. Glad I did not do it.

Apparently even the other RCA jack can be used as a mono input also. Another thing is that the XLR inputs are also separate, so currently I am using the LT XLR input and it works great.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"