X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kaeo
    • Feb 2004

New to HT and problem with cable types

I just picked up a Yamaha htp-5630 and the output to my sub is in rca format. I mean it's a single plug output similar to the video cable from my dvd player. My problem is that my sub has a different style of input. I don't know what it's called but it's two cables sleeved together; one a positive and one a negative, just like my satellites. Is there any way to make my current sub work with this type of rca output? Some type of converter maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to buy another sub, eventhough my current one is terrible. Thanks

kaeo
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Ian, welcome to The Guide! :later:

Some models of sub-woofers have two inputs for signal. My Velodyne FSR-15 does. If I want to run one input to it, I use the right channel connection and if I want to run two inputs (corresponding to the L/R channels) the I use both connections (and 2 cables).

What brand/model is your sub? The owner's manual is probably available on-line and we could check compatibility that way. If you don't want to wait, well. . . . Are the RCA jacks on your sub the standard size? Or are they the smaller pin-type like you'd find on PC systems? If they are the standard size and if you are feeling lucky, you could try connecting a cable from the Yamaha to the sub and see if you get any output. Be sure the volume is turned off when you connect them, and then very slowly increase the gain. If you get no response, try the other connection. We ARE talking about a low-current signal here, not 110V. Having said all this, I recommend waiting until we can look at the specs on the sub.

/// Enter basic disclaimer here: ///
    We aren't responsible for damage to your system's components if you try this.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

It "sounds like", you've got a passive subwoofer. (not powered), and all you see is the speaker inputs. You will need an amplifier if that's the case from the pre-amp RCA to the amp, then left and right speaker outputs from the amp channel to the sub.

Again, if we know what gear you have, we can better tell what's going on here... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've got a Bose Acoustimass subwoofer. Maybe....

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• kaeo
        • Feb 2004

well I wen't out and bought a sub with an rca input, so no worries anymore...But thanks for the info about having a amp for the sub with speaker wire.

kaeo
        thanks for your help

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

That's Great! Not only a new sub to play with, it's definitely got the proper connects. Congrats on the new toy, Ian. What'dja get?
          :banana:

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I agree, I would conclude that's a passive subwoofer. Not inherently any better or worse than a powered subwoofer, but I have noticed that comparnies tend to make subwoofers passive if they're building them on the cheap side.

Well, congrats on the new sub! Always an easy way to solve HT problems, just buy new stuff! Another banana for you: :banana:

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"