Custom RCA to 1/4 mono subwoofer cable ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerm357
    • Apr 2006

Custom RCA to 1/4 mono subwoofer cable ?

I want to make a subwoofer cable with a RCA connector and a 1/4 mono plug. I am planning to use a old MonsterBass™ 300 Subwoofer cable and use the one of the RCA on it and cut an end off and solider a 1/4 mono plug on the other end. Now the question is what a good 1/4 mono plug that will fit on this cable and should I even use the monster cable or get a different cable? I all ready have two of these cables one is in great condition that I dont want to chop up but the other is not even being use and has 1 damaged rca connector anyways. Any Ideas what do you guys think. Here's a pic of the damaged RCA if you want to see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0585.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	868075
    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:33 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
  • engr_dave
    • Dec 2005

'Should work fine. You could also solder on a new RCA and use an adapter from Rat Shack to convert to 1/4". Connectors vary in the size of their sleeve/strain relief, so make sure you get one with a big enough "hole" to accommodate your cable. This Cardas beauty

Name:	cardas_grqsm.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	944158

from Welborne Labs should be good. For something less pricey, check Parts Express or Markertek.
    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:35 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jerm357
      • Apr 2006

Do you think this will fit the monstercable thats realy what I need to know. I found the one you posted for about $13 shipped which is not bad compaired to paying partsexpress's $7 shipping I hate paying that much for just 1 small part

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Jerm357
        Do you think this will fit the monstercable thats realy what I need to know. I found the one you posted for about $13 shipped which is not bad compaired to paying partsexpress's $7 shipping I hate paying that much for just 1 small part
        RadioShack has one that works pretty well in a pinch if you have a local store. I built the same configuration cable and their 1/4" plug worked well. It has a good size opening that should accommodate most any cable.

Image not available
        Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:33 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link
        Danish

Comment

• Jerm357
          • Apr 2006

Yea you were the one who got me thinking of doing this wire. You did not have very good luck with a rca to 1/4 adapters did you. I think I might be having the same issue. This is for my Ep1500 amp powering a RL-p15 and It just seems like I need to turn up my sub out to get a good single no matter where the amp is set. It does sound pretty good right now but I figured its worth it to try and see if it helps. What made you make your own cable, what was your system doing that made you think of doing it?

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Jerm357
            Yea you were the one who got me thinking of doing this wire. You did not have very good luck with a rca to 1/4 adapters did you. I think I might be having the same issue. This is for my Ep1500 amp powering a RL-p15 and It just seems like I need to turn up my sub out to get a good single no matter where the amp is set. It does sound pretty good right now but I figured its worth it to try and see if it helps. What made you make your own cable, what was your system doing that made you think of doing it?
            You are right, I didn't have good luck with the adapter - many people use them, so I'm assuming I just got a dud.

This wasn't my first DIY cable project, but I chose to build one in this case because I wanted a specific configuration and the cheapest option was to build. I bought the cable from PE (it's 2 conductor, shielded) and the terminations at RS (I already had them lying around, otherwise, I would have got them from PE also). I have the shield floating on one end, grounded on the other.

I use the cable (or will when my RL-p15 gets here on Monday) for connecting my FBQ2496 to the EP2500 amp.
            Danish

Comment

• Owen Bartley
              • Sep 2005

Jerm, I made a custom RCA - XLR cable for my Feedback Destroyer, and although some of it was pretty fiddly work I was happy with the result. I think going 1/4" to RCA should be a little easier because you're not going from balanced to unbalanced (I could be wrong), but just test your connections before you solder and you should be in good shape.

Here's a link to my cables if it's any help: http://ca.geocities.com/ojbartley@ro...les/cables.htm
              - OJ -

My HT and DIY Tempest page
              My DVDs

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Markertek has about every kind of cable you can imagine at reasonable prices.

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Owen Bartley
                  Jerm, I made a custom RCA - XLR cable for my Feedback Destroyer, and although some of it was pretty fiddly work I was happy with the result. I think going 1/4" to RCA should be a little easier because you're not going from balanced to unbalanced (I could be wrong), but just test your connections before you solder and you should be in good shape.
                  Yes, the physical connection points are straightforward in his case - a little more so than for a XLR to RCA cable (still no big deal, just have to pay attention).

He is technically still making an unbalanced connection as you did...
                  Danish

Comment

• Jerm357
                    • Apr 2006

What do you guys think of using 60%tin 40% lead solder to do this with? Will this be fine I ask because I have 2 1lb. rolls sitting here and would reather not buy a new roll of 4% silver content solder for just like 2 dots. Or I have some 50%tin / 50% lead but it seems that most of the good silver stuff is closer to the 60/40 what do you think

Comment

• dyazdani
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

I think the 60/40 should be fine...
                      Danish

Comment

• Jerm357
                        • Apr 2006

So here it is My finished RCA to 1/4 mono subwoofer cable. I got to say it did just what I thought, I now get a better single from my receiver. I no longer have to set my sub out to +5 or more to get good bass it is now strong and thick at -1 or 0 on the receivers sub output setting :B There is a nice improvement from what I had before using a rca monster cable subwoofer cable and one of these

Maybe I got a bum adapter or something but regardless the case I'm never going to look back. And a Thanks to Owen Bartley for the Techflex idea. I had some left overs from my PC project that I would have never thought of using for this.

Name:	DSCN0587.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	845697
                        Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:34 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"