X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nirvana_1911
    • Mar 2011

HTM61 Sound

I own this speaker, and want to know how and why it sounds like it does, and if there is anything that can be done to improve the sound, such as constricting the flowport or adjusting the angle of this center.
    At the moment, considering slowly upgrading to the CM series.
    The 800 series diamond is far to expensive for my budget.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

As a former owner of the HTM61, I can only say that it is just a poor design. It is the only B&W speaker that I have had that I did not enjoy. I found the best way to improve the sound was to get rid of it and get something else. The HTM4s I replaced it with blew it out of the water.
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• nirvana_1911
      • Mar 2011

How would the CM Centre and CM Centre 2 compare to the HTM61?
      In Australia, the recommended retail price (MSRP equivalent) is:
      HTM62 - $599
      HTM61 - $899
      CM Centre - $999
      CM Centre 2 - $1,799

Comment

• dukester
        • Sep 2010

Been there done that. Tried adjusting tone ctrls to timbre match my then 683's...moving it fore and aft...standing it vertical (on its side) w/no success. Like you i was very frustrated. Not sure if the CMC/2 will timbre match to your mains any better but as a stand-alone ctr ch, both definitely sounded better to me. I upgraded after just a few months and got full value fm my dealer...hope it works out for you.
        McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• nirvana_1911
          • Mar 2011

Thanks, I may buy the CM5 bookshelves and the CM Centre 2 in the next couple of months.

Comment

• dukester
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by nirvana_1911
            Thanks, I may buy the CM5 bookshelves and the CM Centre 2 in the next couple of months.
            The CM's look pretty damn good in Piano Black...
            McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• nirvana_1911
              • Mar 2011

Yes, the gloss black looks absolutely gorgeous, especially with the yellow kevlar cone and the metallic finish around the cones.
              However, I'm afraid of scratches and the fact that any tiny spec of dust will show up easily.
              The CM series of speakers will really be pushing my budget.
              Do you think the CM Centre 2 is worth the extra money in comparison to the CM Centre?

Comment

• dukester
                • Sep 2010

Yes, the gloss black looks absolutely gorgeous, especially with the yellow kevlar cone and the metallic finish around the cones.
                However, I'm afraid of scratches and the fact that any tiny spec of dust will show up easily.
                The CM series of speakers will really be pushing my budget.
                Do you think the CM Centre 2 is worth the extra money in comparison to the CM Centre?
                I have the Rosenut finish...very low maintenance.

Highly recommend you audition both to decide w/c, however the CMC2 will future-proof your system if you ever decide to go w/CM towers.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

I had CMC for a while.. It was better then the HTM61.. I have not heard the CMC2 to compare..
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• mb225
                    • Jan 2009

What's wrong with the sound from the HTM61? Can someone explain? One of my friends had an HTM61 and 683s and I thought it sounded really good. Are you using it for HT or music?

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                      • Mar 2011

I'm using it for both, a lot of people don't like the sound of the HTM61, from my understanding, it has issues with timbre, tonality and dispersion.

Comment

• dukester
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by mb225
                        What's wrong with the sound from the HTM61? Can someone explain? One of my friends had an HTM61 and 683s and I thought it sounded really good. Are you using it for HT or music?
                        That's exactly the set-up I had, and I did enjoy them initially. However, for me, in 2 ch listening I wanted a more 'open' sound w/a deeper/wider soundstage and better imaging...less boxy. And for HT, when scenes pan from one side to the other, as it crosses the center ch, I want the timbre/tone to remain consistent; seamless transitions. The disparity was too great for me (especially on SACDs) on the HTM61 to overcome. Word of advice for your friend; if he/she is happy w/them, tell him/her not to audition the CMs and especially not the 800 series...since once you hear the difference, it'll be hard to get it out of your head/ears. Not that the 600 series is bad, just that the CMs and 800s are that good (understatement).

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                          • Mar 2011

I agree with what dukestar just said.
                          Something that rings true to me is auditioning higher end gear, heck, it may even be that the speaker placement or the room that will give a nice sound, and the differences picked up will be stuck in my mind, and then get the itch to upgrade.

Comment

• Alfonso
                            • Aug 2007

I'm in the same boat here, didn't like the 61. Do you think the 62 would match the 683's in a livingroom home theater ? My dealer didn't have it in stock....I'm not looking to jump in the CM class, just want to keep it simple, but good.

Comment

• emig5m
                              • Aug 2008

I own this speaker, and want to know how and why it sounds like it does, and if there is anything that can be done to improve the sound, such as constricting the flowport or adjusting the angle of this center.
                              At the moment, considering slowly upgrading to the CM series.
                              The 800 series diamond is far to expensive for my budget.
                              I plugged the port and boosted the treble and then it matched more closely to the 683 and sounded clearer. The CMC2 at Best Buy seemed really congested and in the box sounding compared to my HTM3S... But Best Buy is well... Best Buy. I'd have to have the CMC2 in my own system to make a real comparison. But might want to try some free tweaks before potentially wasting money as I found the HTM61 good enough after some tweaking... Obviously the HTM3S easily trounced the 61 in the same room/setup. Much more detailed and airy! The HTM3S center speaker is currently the main thing I like about my 800 series over the lower models!

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                                • Mar 2011

Thanks for the input. A major annoyance for me is the fact that it can potentially sound very different when the listener is seated off axis.
                                From what I've heard about the CMC2, it is said to sound more refined, detailed, open and airy in comparison to HTM61, and again another significant improvement with the 800 series.
                                Perhaps it was the source, material or room acoustics that made the CMC2 disappointing.
                                I'm glad to hear how awesome the HTM3s is, but as I mentioned, I can not afford the 800 of anything in Australia, 800 series prices in USA are much more reasonable.
                                I think I can afford to make the jump from 600 to CM series and be happy, so I'll be looking into that.

Originally posted by emig5m
                                I plugged the port and boosted the treble and then it matched more closely to the 683 and sounded clearer. The CMC2 at Best Buy seemed really congested and in the box sounding compared to my HTM3S... But Best Buy is well... Best Buy. I'd have to have the CMC2 in my own system to make a real comparison. But might want to try some free tweaks before potentially wasting money as I found the HTM61 good enough after some tweaking... Obviously the HTM3S easily trounced the 61 in the same room/setup. Much more detailed and airy! The HTM3S center speaker is currently the main thing I like about my 800 series over the lower models!

Comment

• emig5m
                                  • Aug 2008

Perhaps it was the source, material or room acoustics that made the CMC2 disappointing.
                                  Source: Yamaha A2000. Material: Transformers 2 Bluray. Room acoustics actually didn't seem to bad at all. Maybe speaker positioning/AVR settings. But vocals really sounded congested and in the box or maybe the HTM3S just has me spoiled. Normally B&W is known for sounding in your face then the other way around. A customer could of had the settings all jacked around. I tried quickly messing around with menu settings but the interface was nothing like my last Yamaha and I was having a hard time finding the settings I was looking for... I couldn't even find the manual EQ. But I was shopping for a Denon AVR at the time and wasn't really worried about the Yamaha/CMC2 - just wasting time waiting for them to check stock for the Denon AVR I was buying. I really liked the gloss black on the CM series!

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                                    • Mar 2011

It's got me thinking about the CMC2, I'll definitely audition it at the home theater store before jumping into a CM upgrade, but I still remain optimistic about the CMC2.
                                    I remember demo'ing the 685's and CM5's, and clearly remember what I've heard, and do like the sound of the CM5's.

Comment

• Miketr75
                                      • Jun 2011

I owned a black cmc2 for a few months, I like them. it worked well with my Marantz 8003
                                      Mike's 3D HT

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"