X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Microtic
    • Oct 2007

600 Series Advice

Firstly, I have purchased a few items already for my home theater setup.

I have purchased the HTM62 center channel: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/displa...rid=2331&sc=ht
    I have purchased an SVS PB10-NSD Subwoofer: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm
    My receiver is the Onkyo TX-SR674: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=s

I am looking for some advice into what would be my best bet to purchase for speakers for a small - mid sized room.

Keep in mind, the dealership that I purchased my HTM62 from has a great deal where they will buy back the centre channel at the price I purchased it for if I want to upgrade to a better one.

My main thoughts were to purchase these:

HTM61 Centre: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/displa...fid=2321&sc=ht
    683 Fronts: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/displa...fid=2281&sc=ht

I am planning to get surrounds when I can. 8)

Does anyone have any different recommendations as to what I should be getting?

Also, I noticed that my receiver only outputs 95W/ch for each output. Am I going to notice an issue getting a speaker that shows the following?:

HTM61: Recommended amplifier power 30W - 150W into 8Ω on unclipped programme
    683: Recommended amplifier power 25W - 200W into 8Ω on unclipped
    programme

Thanks for any help, it is very appreciated. ;x(
  • angelface
    • Oct 2007

Sounds rather like the system I was thinking of getting myself!

95W should be enough but for music in stereo you will do better with a dedicated stereo amp powering the fronts run from the pre-outs of the Onkyo.

If you set up the amp so all the low bass goes to the sub even for music then
    it will help as most of the power is used for the bass.

Hope that helps
    Cyrus CD8x --> Cyrus AVMaster 8.0 --> Cyrus Smart Power Plus --> B&W 602S3 / B&W LCR600 / Eltax bipoles

Comment

• george_k
      • Jan 2004

Your Onkyo should be okay for the short term but eventually you'll want to add an amp.

My original setup what not a whole lot different than yours. I had 603 fronts and an LC60 center all being powered off a 50watt x5 NAD receiver. Keep in mind that NAD rates their stuff conservatively and that a lot of other mass market manufacturers don't.

For music/movies I found that 50watts was enough to get my system to the "loudness" that I wanted but the receiver being taxed in doing so. The result was the the sound at higher volumes wasn't as clear as that at lower volumes. During loud movie passages I found that I had to turn down the volume because the amp would clip.

I then upgraded my speakers from 603's to 703's and got rid my center (strictly a 2ch setup now). The one constant has been the NAD and as okay as it was with the 603's when it came time to driving the 703's it had a harder time.

I then purchased a used NAD 150x2 poweramp and moved the NAD receiver to act as a processor/preamp. The improvement was staggering, bass had more grunt, sound became clearer and more resolved (especially at louder volumes) and most importantly the amp doesn't run out of steam be it movies or music.

So my suggestion to you would be to add a amp down the road. If your relationship with your dealer is good I'm sure he'd loan you an amp over the weekend to see for yourself.

Comment

• Microtic
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the replys. Do you think it would be a big jump up in quality / clarity of sound if I get the 683 instead of the 684's?

Also, the same for the HTM61 from the HTM62?

Comment

• Ken49r
          • Dec 2007

The new 600 and the 800 series are the only ones to offer the FST midrange in a center channel. If it was offered when I had made my speaker purchase I don't think I would have moved up to the 700 series so soon. Thats some serious bang for the buck.
          When you make the move to upgrade your hardware you will really see what those speakers can do.

I originally had the 600 s3 series (DM604s3/DM602s3/LCR600) and my Onkyo TX-SR804 /105W. After a couple weeks of letting them burn in I talked to my dealer about the sound quality not being what I had heard in the store. The sound was dull in comparison. He thought my problem was in my Onkyo. He gave me a Rotel RB1070 to home demo and from the moment I hit the power button the sound was INCREDIBLE.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Microtic
            Thanks for the replys. Do you think it would be a big jump up in quality / clarity of sound if I get the 683 instead of the 684's?

Also, the same for the HTM61 from the HTM62?

HTM61 is the same as HTM62, it just has a 6" midrange instead of a 5" midrange.

HTM61 matches the 684/683
            HTM62 matches the 685/686
            SoundEngine355

-------------------
            [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
              HTM61 is the same as HTM62, it just has a 6" midrange instead of a 5" midrange.

HTM61 matches the 684/683
              HTM62 matches the 685/686
              The HTM61 is a three way speaker with an FST midrange. The HTM62 is a two way speaker. They are very different from one another. The HTM61 really is best matched to the 683 and the HTM62 is best matched to the 684, 685, 686.

Eric

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"