X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frog2frog
    • Jun 2008

Please Help: HTM61 or 62 with 685?

Hi All

I am a newbie with speakers. I am planing to get the B&W685 for my L&R ASW610 for sub, but not sure which centre (HTM61 or 62) to match it with.

I know B&W suggest using HTM62 with the 685. In terms of spec, the HTM61 has the FST midrange and it goes as low as 38Hz. Also the 685 has 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass / midrange while HTM61 also has 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass. So I was thinking they should match better than HTM62 since the 62 only have 2x ø130mm (5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass / midrange. with the same cone size, would it match better? and with the additional 1x ø150mm (6 in) woven Kevlar® cone midrange for the HTM61 would it improve the sound?

Therefore, I am thinking to get the HTM61 for my centre.

Just want to know if this will be a good setup? anyone has this setup? will the HTM61 or 62 give me better sound when I match it with 685? any suggestion will help.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by frog2frog; 02 June 2008, 20:28 Monday.
  • Ken49r
    • Dec 2007

Is this system going to be used for Multichannel music along with HT? If so, you probably won't be pleased with a mismatched front end. Most likely HT will not benefit from it either. If your dealer has the HTM61 for you to demo when you get your 685's, then you could hear and decide if your willing to put up with the sound difference.

I have seen some systems on here with mismatched front speakers, usually because they are in the middle of upgrading to a fully matched front end.

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

I'd go with the HTM62. The HTM61 is enough different with the FST midrange that I'd not do that one.

Eric

Comment

• Iron Man
        • Jun 2008

HTM61 is primarily made to match 683. I'd go for HTM62.
        B&W 800 system: 803D, HTM2D, SCMS + ASW855 ;x(
        NAD Master Series: M15 + M25
        Projector: Optoma HD80 1080p
        Screen: Lissau 106" ISF True-color TAB-tension
        Blu-ray disc: Sony PS3
        Shaker: Buttkicker LFE kit

Comment

• frog2frog
          • Jun 2008

Thank you for all of your suggestions. Since I am new to speakers, I am not too sure how I should pick.

From looking at the spec. the 685 has 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass / midrange while HTM61 also has 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass so I was thinking they should match better than HTM62 since the 62 only have 2x ø130mm (5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass / midrange. with the same cone size, would it match better? and with the additional 1x ø150mm (6 in) woven Kevlar® cone midrange for the HTM61 would it improve the sound?

Thanks

Comment

• dknightd
            • Mar 2006

B&W suggests using the htm62 with the 685 bookshelves

I assume they have a good reason for this (probably because the
            fst driver in the 61 really only matches the 683).

Another alternative would be to use three 685 across the front - they'll match perfectly

Comment

• Ken49r
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by frog2frog
              Thank you for all of your suggestions. Since I am new to speakers, I am not too sure how I should pick.

From looking at the spec. the 685 has 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass / midrange while HTM61 also has 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass so I was thinking they should match better than HTM62 since the 62 only have 2x ø130mm (5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass / midrange. with the same cone size, would it match better? and with the additional 1x ø150mm (6 in) woven Kevlar® cone midrange for the HTM61 would it improve the sound?

Thanks
              If you want a system with the FST midrange why not go with three HTM61 up front? (L/C/R) It's a full 3 way and should sound well balanced across the front. The HTM61 can be used in a vertical or horizontal position. I'm new at this myself but I'm sure the more knowledgeable here could give an opinion or two if this would be a good setup.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"