X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcsun
    • Jan 2012

Centre speaker help

Forgive me if this drags on and on and on but..... I think I have the same problem as alot of people, whenever we watch TV or a film we struggle to listen to the dialogue clearly we then turn the volume up to try and improve the speech only to be deafened when the next crash and bang happens. We have tried turning up the gain of the centre speaker but that does not seem to cure the problem.
    My first question is
    Why does my 9nts have a tweeter and three midrange drivers while the "matching" centre speaker only has a tweeter and midrange?
    Surely if the centre speaker uses 80% of the film soundtrack it should have more drivers?
    Would I have a better centre if I found another 9NT and used that as a centre?
    I keep looking at the HTM2Di - I realise it is on another planet price wise but I am prepared to upgrade as much or as little to get a good sound, as that has more drivers would it be a good option?
    People say that the front soundstage would be out of sync but if the left and right are only taking 20% of the soundtrack would it not matter?
    If I was listening to stereo the centre would not be used anyway
    In the future I would like to change the 9NT's to 803d's would it be better to wait and buy 3 matching 803's or go for a pair of 803's and the HTM

I have an Arcam AVR600 - is that powerful enough for the HTM and 803's?

I would welcome all your views
    kc
    Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
    B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Your problem is very common in home theater. I do fail to understand however why by increasing the volume of the center, that this does not improve your situation.

One thing I ALWAYS tell people is to buy the biggest and best center channel speaker you can afford. It is the absolute MOST important speaker in HT and multichannel music applications. I have no experience with the speakers you list above, but it sounds like the speaker match with a center that only has 2 drivers while your mains contain 3 or more is a problem.'s like having a tercel try and compete with a pair of muscle cars!!. It I can tell you that my center is huge and contains 2 woofers, a mid and a tweeter and weighs 40 pounds!!. My system is properly calibrated using an SPL meter to insure all the drivers are set at the same volume. Speaker distance to listener calibration is also very important as well. I can tell you that I have no such issues with my HT.

So in a nutshell........get a bigger and better Center speaker!!
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• mpauline
      • Dec 2003

I would like to echo the sentiments expressed by "madmac". I have had four center channel speakers since getting into home theater about 15 years ago. I had a better than average Mirage center channel but went with B&W and purchased the HTM1. Absolutely night and day difference i.e. vocal intelligibility. I then sold the HTM1 with the intent of buying the best main speakers that I could afford. In the meantime I bought the old but top of the line Mirage MCsi center and after one month I could not stand it anymore and went out and bought the HTM2Di and 803Di's. You must buy the best center speaker that you can afford especially if your system is primarily for home theater. The HTM1 was an incredible center and can be found on Audiogon for about $1500 but the HTM2Di and it's diamond tweeter gives remarkable clarity and detail.

Comment

• dukester
        • Sep 2010

I have an 803Di/HTM2Di setup. If you opt for 3 803Di's your AVR may not be up to task, requiring pre-outs to something as simple as a beefier 3ch amp. However it should be fine driving the 803Di/HTM2Di combo...but would jump to the next level by adding an external amp to drive the mains. I initially did just that via my NAD T785 (150w) and found it lacking but still pretty good. I upgraded by adding a 300w amp to drive the mains, leaving surround/ctr ch duty to my AVR. Initially I was concerned about timbre matching however I have yet to be disappointed.

If money no matter, and no space issues...I would get 3 803Di's, knowing that an additional external amp might be necessary. Otherwise I'd get the HTM2Di for an exponential HT improvement as soon as connect it (it's an awesome ctr ch), and that I'd have a perfect match for a future upgrade to the 803Di's (or even the 802Di's).
        McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mpauline
          I would like to echo the sentiments expressed by "madmac". I have had four center channel speakers since getting into home theater about 15 years ago. I had a better than average Mirage center channel but went with B&W and purchased the HTM1. Absolutely night and day difference i.e. vocal intelligibility. I then sold the HTM1 with the intent of buying the best main speakers that I could afford. In the meantime I bought the old but top of the line Mirage MCsi center and after one month I could not stand it anymore and went out and bought the HTM2Di and 803Di's. You must buy the best center speaker that you can afford especially if your system is primarily for home theater. The HTM1 was an incredible center and can be found on Audiogon for about $1500 but the HTM2Di and it's diamond tweeter gives remarkable clarity and detail.
          Wow....mpauline.......$1500 bucks for a center channel??!!. Let it be known that YOU CARE !! :E about your HT performance!!!. Mine was a measly 700 bucks, which is way more than what 99.99 percent of the population would pay for one!!!. But....then again.....we all care here right :W
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• kcsun
            • Jan 2012

The HTM2Di is £3950 :E so is awesomely expensive.
            I rang B&W and had a long chat with them, they DO NOT have a dem room and referred me to a local dealer. This is all very well but none of my local dealers can offer me the setup I want to try out aarrgghh! They can get the kit in but then you feel obliged to buy, I would much rather a visit without pressure.
            Will now have to ring round dealers who are further away - good sales technique B&W, if I tried those tactics in my buisness I would go bust instantly and not be able to spend my ill gotten gains on HiFi gear!!

kc
            Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
            B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub

Comment

• mpauline
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by madmac
              Wow....mpauline.......$1500 bucks for a center channel??!!. Let it be known that YOU CARE !! :E about your HT performance!!!. Mine was a measly 700 bucks, which is way more than what 99.99 percent of the population would pay for one!!!. But....then again.....we all care here right :W
              Well like the OP said the HTM2Di is way more expensive that the $1500 option. For me I wanted the best center that I could afford. Now I am broke and cannot afford to ever upgrade again :W

Comment

• mpauline
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by kcsun
                The HTM2Di is £3950 :E so is awesomely expensive.
                I rang B&W and had a long chat with them, they DO NOT have a dem room and referred me to a local dealer. This is all very well but none of my local dealers can offer me the setup I want to try out aarrgghh! They can get the kit in but then you feel obliged to buy, I would much rather a visit without pressure.
                Will now have to ring round dealers who are further away - good sales technique B&W, if I tried those tactics in my buisness I would go bust instantly and not be able to spend my ill gotten gains on HiFi gear!!

kc
                I feel your pain. I finally found a retailer that had almost all the Diamond series on display. I bought the HTM2Di without hearing it because I thought the HTM4Di was pretty decent and I owned a HTM1. It was worth the upgrade. I do not have space to put another 803Di as the center which would have been the best option. If I had it would have been quite intrusive to my projector screen :lol:

Comment

• kcsun
                  • Jan 2012

It does look as if I will go the htm2di route as I can then add a pair of 803 or 804's at a later date when funds (wife) allows.
                  I cannot justify the htm2 though without some extensive listening to prove to myself that spending £4k to listen to tv actors a "bit" more clearly is worth it
                  kc

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"