X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pio
    • Nov 2005

800D New Stereophile Magazine

Just picked it up today in the Houston Hobby airport of all places. Kal gave the 800 a great review. If you're (like me) a geek about stuff like this - go get your copy. I know I had been waiting for it for a while.

Needless to say he liked the 800 more than his resident 802Ds and he felt the new 800Ds trumped the Canton speakers he reviewed recently as well as the Revel Ultimas.

Sorry if its a repost....
    Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

Here is the review.
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• DeepEndX
      • Feb 2005

Too bad no comparison to the 800D. That would be very interesting....

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DeepEndX
        Too bad no comparison to the 800D. That would be very interesting....
        Not enough room in the room. (See picture below.)

I did review the earlier Nautilis 800 Signatures in the same room but, considering the time interval, it is not possible to give opinions on the differences. The link to the earlier review is: http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/600
        Attached Files
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Rod#S
          • Oct 2010

Cool picture.

So Kal, would purchasing the 800 Diamonds be something you would consider at this point having had them for a while or are you still more than pleased with your 802D's? I see you are running 3 802Ds so I guess moving up to the 800 Diamonds would likely mean getting 3 rather than 2 in your case or would getting the HTM2 Diamond be a possiblity? Curious, why 3 802Ds, I don't see a tv, do you have a screen that comes down or are the 3 802Ds not for home theater but for multi channel music?

Do you have any plans on trying out the 802 Diamonds? Based on your extremely positive review of the 800's it would be interesting to see if the new 802 Diamonds narrow the gap between your 802D's and the 800 Diamonds or if perhaps you would end up preferring the 802D's over the 802 Diamonds.

Thanks,

Rod
          B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Kal

Do you have a "thing" for cats? Or are they there as sound improving devices - defusers? :-)

Comment

• Pedro
              • Jan 2006

Great Review

BTW i was looking for the frequency response of the old 800D and B&W seems changed in the new one the response, less flat than the previous S800, N800 and 800D. Does it means the old could be better?

Comment

• Cruxis
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aarsoe
                Kal

Do you have a "thing" for cats? Or are they there as sound improving devices - defusers? :-)

At least they're not lime green :B

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Kal

It is my wife's "thing."
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Pedro
                    Great Review

BTW i was looking for the frequency response of the old 800D and B&W seems changed in the new one the response, less flat than the previous S800, N800 and 800D. Does it means the old could be better?
                    Thanks but I think the comparison should be made between measurements made under the same conditions by the same person, especially when they are available and the differences are subtle.
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• DeepEndX
                      • Feb 2005

Nice room & nice setup. The design seems a little South East Asia.... Great review. How do you like the Mac amps compare to your Classe?

Comment

• aarsoe
                        • May 2004

Pedro

I would actually argue that they are very similar if you take into account the different scale on the measurements. I would think you could overlay them and only see a difference in the lower end with the new woofers.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Excellent review! I'll continue to enjoy my 3 front end 802D's ... that is ... until my daughter wants them.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006

Pedro

I would actually argue that they are very similar if you take into account the different scale on the measurements. I would think you could overlay them and only see a difference in the lower end with the new woofers.
                            Yes but it suggests that, if there is a difference, the variables between the measurement conditions might mask them.
                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Rod#S
                              Curious, why 3 802Ds, I don't see a tv, do you have a screen that comes down or are the 3 802Ds not for home theater but for multi channel music?
                              Exactly. I do have a 5" LCD for menu use.
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Pedro
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                Yes but it suggests that, if there is a difference, the variables between the measurement conditions might mask them.
                                For the measurements of S800 did you use the same room with same conditions? If you did, the curve is different and suggest less coloration in the bass and treble. Do you think it could be so much listened especially at high levels? I ask because i own the 801D (which is very flat according to other review) and i was thinking to try 800Di.

S800 (Stereophile/Kal Runbison)

801D (Hifi world review)

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Pedro
                                  For the measurements of S800 did you use the same room with same conditions? If you did, the curve is different and suggest less coloration in the bass and treble.
                                  ???? I did not measure them. (Actually, I did but JA only published a single graph which he assembled from some of my data.) JA measured a single 800Diamond and not the pair I used. He, also, measured all the B&W predecessors and those that he has done since his move to NYC were done under the same conditions. So,what are you saying the curve is different from?

Do you think it could be so much listened especially at high levels?
                                  I do not understand.

I ask because i own the 801D (which is very flat according to other review) and i was thinking to try 800Di.
                                  Well, it was measured under different conditions and it seems to be somewhat smoothed, most apparent from 250Hz down.
                                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                    Muchas Gracias :T
                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Rod#S
                                      • Oct 2010

Exactly. I do have a 5" LCD for menu use.
                                      Was that "Exactly" to indicate you have a screen or you are just running an audio setup? I think you are saying just music due to the 5" LCD but I just wanted to confirm What are you running for rear speakers, if anything?

Thanks
                                      B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Rod#S
                                        Was that "Exactly" to indicate you have a screen or you are just running an audio setup? I think you are saying just music due to the 5" LCD but I just wanted to confirm What are you running for rear speakers, if anything?

Thanks
                                        Yeah. I was too terse and responded to your last point. No TV and just music. TV in another room. The rears are 804S.

Kal
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• azazel
                                          • Dec 2010

Nice review, thanks! I own 802 nautilus. Is there significant improvements with the 802 diamond or is the difference only slight? Also, I have a large room and listen at a distance of about 5m. Would 800D sound louder even though the mid/ tweeter is the same as the 802D?

Comment

• scanido
                                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by azazel
                                            Nice review, thanks! I own 802 nautilus. Is there significant improvements with the 802 diamond or is the difference only slight? Also, I have a large room and listen at a distance of about 5m. Would 800D sound louder even though the mid/ tweeter is the same as the 802D?
                                            Sounds to me you got enough room for 800Di's!

Comment

• scanido
                                              • Apr 2006

Kal,

In your review you used the Mac MC303. Were the 800 Diamonds an easier load for this amp over the 802D's with the 300w?

The 800 Diamonds can handle up to 1000w. Do you think you would have experienced better results if you coupled the speakers with more powerful amps or do you find the 300w sufficient as you stated the speakers seemed louder?

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                • Oct 2010

Yeah. I was too terse and responded to your last point. No TV and just music. TV in another room. The rears are 804S.

Kal
                                                Thanks Kal. Another coule of questions if you don't mind. How far behind your sofa or chair are your 804s and are they placed directly on the floor or raised a bit? I have Paradigm Studio 60s for my rears placed about 7 feet behind and when I placed them I was concerned that the tweeters were not high enough to clear the back of my sofa so I placed them on concrete blocks. They are 37.25" on their own so a bit shorter than say the 804s. Was doing this necessary do you think or would they have been fine directly on the floor? I did a similar thing for my surrounds but they are up higher, since I live in an apartemnt I couldn't attach my ADP's on the wall so the best I could do was boost the height of the stand via concrete blocks to get the tweeter about a foot above ear level. Certainly not ideal I know.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                                                  In your review you used the Mac MC303. Were the 800 Diamonds an easier load for this amp over the 802D's with the 300w?
                                                  Cannot say. The Mac seems more than adequate for me.

The 800 Diamonds can handle up to 1000w. Do you think you would have experienced better results if you coupled the speakers with more powerful amps or do you find the 300w sufficient as you stated the speakers seemed louder?
                                                  Vide supra.
                                                  Kal Rubinson
                                                  _______________________________
                                                  "Music in the Round"
                                                  Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                  http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2006

Actually, I should have said that the surrounds were 804S as they are directly lateral to the couch. It is the only place for surrounds and they have no trouble 'clearing' the arms of the couch. Also, since this is a music-only system, I see no need for rears or for elevating surrounds. I prefer all speakers at ear-level.

Your case is different and, considering the constraints, you probably made the right choice.
                                                    Kal Rubinson
                                                    _______________________________
                                                    "Music in the Round"
                                                    Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"