Stereophile Ultimate A/V magazine bites the dust...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Stereophile Ultimate A/V magazine bites the dust...

They were struggling to define its identity. Under its previous name, "Stereophile Guide to Home Theater", it was becoming almost a clone of its stable mate, "Home Theater" magazine. Apparently they couldn't convince enough people that the two magazines offered enough that was both different and worthwhile to subscribe to both. January 2005 was the last issue of "Ultimate A/V". Subscribers are now getting "Home Theater" magazine in its place, supposedly for the duration of their subscriptions (although it looks like they plan to short me on mine -- I was paid through June 2006 and they are now creditiing me through January 2006).

I was a charter subscriber to "Home Theater" magazine and for years felt it offered a lot of interesting and entertaining features besides the ads. However, if I had wanted to be a current subscriber I would have been one already without this happening. I had dropped my subscription to "Home Theater" because in the past few years, it has pandered to the lowest interest level, more likely to be covering "home theater in a box" (as it does in the current issue) rather than much of the mid to higher end gear.

That may broaden the appeal and get more subscriptions, but it really leaves behind those of us who have been in the hobby a while and are interested in something beyond entry level equipment and just getting started. There are still plenty of choices for that level of interest (that's a good thing, since we all have to start some time and somewhere) so it is disappointing to see another one at a slightly higher level disappear.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well that sucks @$$ :evil:

I've actually already got a subscription to both (2 year subscription I might add!), so who knows what I'll get...

I find HT does have some basic stuff like HTIB's but they do review high end stuff as well giving a nice mix and I enjoy the more casual atmosphere of the mag for "light" reading.

Ultimate A/V was however more technical and in depth with as you said, generally more high end reviews and info which satiated my need for those things.

The two magazines nicely complimented themselves for me. Now what the hell am I going to read in the bathroom!? :lol: :cry:
    Jason

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I always preferred the old SGHT to Home Theater magazine. Sigh...

I haven't bought one in a while, so I guess I won't either. sigh...

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dan Schulze
        • Jun 2003

You know, I've got mixed feelings about this - sometimes I like to sit down, put on a favorite CD/SACD/DVD Audio disc and read the latest from my magazines. Now I have to take the laptop, and connect through my wireless network (I was not about to crawl through the attic to run cable) and read it that way.

I like having a stack of magazines waiting for me to read - how can I take one of my favorites on an airplane now?

I too have a subscription to both - Ultimate AV expires 02/07 and Home Theater expires 10/06. What will I get? How knows? :roll:

Dan
        I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'd recently let my SGHT subscription expire. It just wasn't as interesting a read as it used to be. No loss to me as far missing out on HT mag as a filler. Like Burke, I felt it had gone too far over into HTIB territory a couple of years ago, and decided not to renew my subscription then.
          Last edited by David Meek; 06 February 2005, 12:31 Sunday. Reason: corrected text

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

I had stopped buying the magazine ffor some time now. They have changed over the years and I have found oother magazines to be more interesting.

I understand their decision.
            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• IntegrateMe
              • May 2004

I would imagine that most participants in this forum would be more inclined to read Widescreen Review and The Perfect Vision anyway.

SGHT, R.I.P.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by IntegrateMe
                I would imagine that most participants in this forum would be more inclined to read Widescreen Review and The Perfect Vision anyway.

SGHT, R.I.P.
                I think you called that one correctly.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

WSR and Perfect Vision are right up there, but I do miss the old AUDIO VIDEO INTERIORS. I loved to look at pictures of those gorgeous home theaters. Now there is a pretty darn good magazine out there ( published 6 times a year) that has become a favorite with me. It's called HOME ENTERTAINMENT and is edited by Brent Butterworth who did an excellent job during the good old days at HOME THEATER MAGAZINE.

As for SGTHT, well when Primedia bought up all the home theater magazines ( Home Theater, Stereophile Guide To Home Theater and Audio Video Interiors) you just knew that a lack of competition was going to make the mags rather blase.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                    I had dropped my subscription to "Home Theater" because in the past few years, it has pandered to the lowest interest level, more likely to be covering "home theater in a box" (as it does in the current issue) rather than much of the mid to higher end gear.

That may broaden the appeal and get more subscriptions, but it really leaves behind those of us who have been in the hobby a while and are interested in something beyond entry level equipment and just getting started. There are still plenty of choices for that level of interest (that's a good thing, since we all have to start some time and somewhere) so it is disappointing to see another one at a slightly higher level disappear.

Burke
                    While they do cover HTIB systems as well I have to add that they do review some nice higher end gear as well. Just in the last three issues they've reviewed for January a high-end Linn speaker system and mid-range Toshiba HD TV, Nad receiver and Polk speakers. For February a high-end Canton speaker system, Bohlender-Graebener speaker system and Lexicon receiver. For March a high-end Anthem pre/pro and amp, Kef speaker system and Yamaha $13,000 DLP projector (which looks very nice BTW! :yesnod: ) plus mid-range Denon receiver and 2910 DVD player. Not to mention a face-off of Mitsubishi, Panasonic and Sony $3000 projectors. Not too bad if you ask me.

They don't tend to have quite the techical detail of some of the other mags but they also tend to keep things more concise and humorous while still getting the point across along with the info.

Just my thoughts
                    Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Actually, Jason, I feel Home Theater Mag has improved considerably under the editorship of Maureen Jenson. It seemed like she was on a tether during her first year or so but lately the magazine seemes to have a lot more life with many interesting articles. Audio Video Interiors was at its best when Maureen was editor there, so it's nice to see what she is doing now at Home Theater Mag.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Strangely enough, I received the current issue of HT recently. I'd thought my subscription to Ultimate A/V had lapsed, but maybe not. Haven't worked up the nerve to read it yet, although your comments are causing me to weaken. :

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"