X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blazar
    • Feb 2004

Rotel Equipment and PS Audio Power Plant Regenerators

I am curious how many of you guys are using PS audio power regenerator products www.psaudio.com. These are no ordinary power "conditioners".

I would be interested to know if anyone is using rotel amplifiers and preams in particular and how much improvement have you noticed. Is the improvement GLARINGLY obvious?

This gear got great reviews by stereophile magazine and as far as I know it is the best ac power conditioning gear on the market. Many of the stereophile and hifi secrets reviews use this product in the background.

I also noticed many of you use the Monster Power conditioning equipment and for the price, this gear might be a more effective alternative. Relatively speaking I would more likely spend money on these devices than on cables... the likelihood of noticing real improvement seems to be MUCH less disputed on various forums.

Having said all this I believe the current generation of ps audio power plants have fans ... which would seem to defeat the purpose of the device considering the noise they add. Other drawbacks are they get VERY hot and do consume considerable power.
    Blazar!
    (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)
  • pbarata
    • Feb 2003

If are looking for a passive solution, that doesn't get hot neither consum any power you can try something like Olson's Sound Fantastic power distribution units are fitted with a mains RFI filter, earthline choke, transient suppressor. ( http://www.soundfantastic.co.uk/ ). I'm using one for Rotel RMB-1075/RSP-1066/RCD-1070 and the differences are perfectly audible, with clean sound and tight bass.
    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• zedlep
      • Jun 2004

Blazar,

I would also give consideration to the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, it is "passive", in that it consumes no energy, and it is not a regenerator. It does an excellent job of filtering not just the incoming current but also the entire house current of stray noise and pollution. It also is non-current limiting, meaning it can support pretty much the full line current draw from your equipment. I have the high current version myself, and have tried a few regenerators but found no real further benefits that support the added cost. Now I know there are many other audiophiles out there who will disagree with that last statement, regenerators can have a profound effect on sound, just not on my system. I have found that each system is different in the way they react to changes of any kind. So please no flames on that one. Try the Ultimate Outlet for around $250.00 or less and see what happens, sell it if your not happy, plenty on A-gon or the like will snap it right up from you. HTH

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

I am using a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet as well, directly in front of TrippLite Ultra 12, which in turn feeds my gear. (Yes, this might be overkill, but I needed the added outlets.) I think the PS Audio power regenerators are overkill for this level of gear. I don't doubt they will not make a difference, but they cost plenty, and the money can be used towards gear upgrades that will make more of an impact in improvements.

Comment

• maddog
          • Oct 2003

I disagree with the positive reviews on the PS Audio High-Current Ultimate Outlet. I used one for 4 months. Although it does result in a very detailed sound, it does so at the expense of robbing some of the natural tonal color, and more generally, creating a dry sound. It also creates a hall or closed-in effect. At least that’s what I heard.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"