X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJKuzma
    • Jan 2005

JC2 Review in March Stereophile

Stereophile Magazine has a very positive review of the JC2 preamp in their March 2008 edition. John Akinson wrote the review, with much more commentary on the sound quality than Sam Tellig's earlier mini-review. Overall the JC2 gets an "Awsome!" :T
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

I read it last night and was very please to see it had a stamp on the back stating "Designed by the CTC team of J. Curl, J. Thompson and B. Crump". Enough said.

Comment

• REOFan
      • Jan 2006

Nice To See

At last, a full-fledged review in a mainstream audio magazine. I've been waiting for someone with experience with other preamps to provide commentary. I've owned only Parasound since I went to separates in '97.

I've owned a JC 2 since last July, and I am very satisfied. It's performed flawlessly so far, providing better clarity, weightier images, tighter bass, wider and deeper soundstage, and richer highs. In fact, a friend was over recently (he uses a highly-regarded tube preamp), and commented on the quality of symbal reproduction as I played an assortment of rock, jazz, and blues music. Plus I got rid of a low-level hum as soon as I installed the JC 2.

A minor quibble, as I've mentioned before on this forum, is the remote. Mine has never fallen off a stack of CDs, chair arm, or table. But I've too-often pressed the Mute button when I meant to raise or lower the volume.

Awesome amps (JC 1s) and preamp. What's next?

Comment

• blownrx7
        • Dec 2004

JC2 upgraded from???

Hello REOfan,
        Thanks for the mini-review!
        What did the JC-2 replace? Were you able to perform an A-B comparison before the other gear was taken out of the system?

As far your friends tube gear, stop teasing us - what was it? Will he become a Parasound convert???

It would be helpful to know your source and speakers.

TIA

Comment

• REOFan
          • Jan 2006

One Parasound Replaces Another

Hello, blownrx7,

The JC 2 replaced a Parasound P/LD 2000, which I used for ten years. The JC 2 is only my second preamp. It's better than the P/LD 2000 in every way.

My friend, who I've known since grade school, and who introduced me to high-end audio, recently purchased a Modwright LS 36.5 with Dual Mono Power Supply (preamp with separate power supply, in other words). He visited for the Super Bowl party my wife and I hosted, but I haven't been to his place to see and hear his new preamp (he lives an hour from me, near our hometown). I did see and hear the LS 36.5 at HE 2007 in NYC. I met and talked to Dan Wright before, and was considering his latest preamp, but opted for the Parasound JC 2 for three reasons: (1) it's a John Curl design (or CTC Builders project), (2) it matches the JC 1s (there's something to be said for symmetry), and (3) the price is right. If not for the JC 2, I'd likely own the LS 36.5.

Funny thing about my friend and me: we share the same hif-fi goals, but opt for different paths in pusuit of them. He's a Modwright man. I'm a Parasound guy. I value his enduring friendship and audio sensibilities.

My source is an Esoteric X-03 SE, to the JC 2, to an Xilica XP-4080 DSP Processor, to the JC 1s, ending at Legacy Whisper loudspeakers. The JC 2 preceded the Xilica unit by five months. The Xilica unit replaced the stock Whisper processor. Balanced interconnects and loudspeaker cabling are Tara Labs Air 1. Power conditioning and cables are Shunyata.

I'm playing some live REO right now (no surprise, given my chosen moniker), and it flat-out rocks. My system is set for the time being, so I can turn to upgrading other things around the house (painting and simple remodeling planned).

Hope all is well with you. I am ready to put the snow-cold-snow-cold-snow-cold-snow winter pattern behind me.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"