• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

J Gordon Holt has died

J Gordon Holt - the founder of Stereophile magazine - has died:

It is with immense sadness that I heard of Gordon's passing, in an announcement from his long-time friend, Bob O'Neiil: "A few minutes after 12 noon mtn time, July 20, 2009, J. Gordon Holt passed away in his home in Boulder, Colorado. A memorial service will be held in a week or two. There will be, of course, martinis and the music of Ralph Vaughan Williams." According to his son Charles, Gordon had suffered a long fight with COPD/Emphysema and he died in his home with his family around him.

There's a good 1997 interview with him here:

September 1997 saw the 35th anniversary of Stereophile magazine, founded by J. Gordon Holt back in 1962. If any interview needs no introduction, this is it. My interview with Gordon was conducted around the kitchen table in Gordon's Boulder, Colorado home over a couple of cold beers. It seemed appropriate to start at the very beginning...J. Gordon Holt: I don't remember when that was. Steven Stone: [laughs] You don't remember when you were born?Holt: It was 1930.

Nigel.
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Very sad news. That is a good interview, I hadn't seen that before. I also liked Ed Dell's article written about JGH for Stereophile's 25th anniversary.

Editor's Introduction: 1987 sees Stereophile celebrating its 25th anniversary of continuous—if occasionally sporadic—publication. For an ostensibly "underground" publication to have survived so long is a tribute to the skills and enthusiasm of the magazine's founder and Editor, J. Gordon Holt.

We've bought a good number of components he's reviewed over the years and have NEVER been disappointed. I met him once at the Stereophile show in San Francisco '93, I think. I just told him hello and said I enjoyed his equipment reviews, and enjoyed the equipment he recommended ... he was cordial, and shook my hand. He was a real nice guy.

R.I.P. J. Gordon Holt
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Huh... while I don't know him, and not familiar with his work directly, I do remember that Stereophile was the first magazine I subscribed to as a teenager/early adult. Helped me into the A/V world, and I very much appreciate that.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• krips
        • Sep 2007

I just purchased my first copy of stereophile the other day. I really enjoyed it so far. It's better than sound and vision and home theater magazine I would say, as far as having interesting products, but the prices of the products in that magazine were way up there. Sad that someone so influential has passed.
        Sharp LC-42D64U
        TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"