X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.devry
    • Apr 2008

Sub upgrade?

I currently have one B&W asw608 subwoofer with a pair of B&W 685s. I recently moved to get closer to my work, and my listening room has doubled. Room size is 20ft long 16ft wide. I need a little more bass, mainly for movies. On music it still performs well. I just want more grunt in the action movies with out pushing my subwoofer to its limits. I have the crossover set around 80, and the gain just below half.

The opions I am considering:
    1) Get a second asw608
    2) sell asw608 and get a asw610
    3) sell asw608 and get a asw610xp

I can listen to all of them no problem, just wondering everyones opinions!

I attached a pic of the setup from a distance.
    Attached Files
    Ryan
    -------------------------
  • leej
    • Feb 2009

If you're looking for more "Grunt," I believe you need a different sub. I found that adding a second sub didn't increase my SPL as much as it balanced my large, square room. If that one doesn't have enough bass, adding another like sub might not do what you want and I think it's a good idea to match multiples, closely. Replacing with one larger, more powerful sub might do the trick. There are some bad-ass subs out there that would sound great with your speakers.
    Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
    B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

If you want to stay cheap and go used, I don't think you can beat the bang for the buck of a used Sunfire Signature EQ. Looking at your pic it looks like you're using 685s up front. I've used my Sunfire with my 685s playing around with using them as mains (I use them normally for surround speakers) and I was ready to throw away my 683's at the time and go with smaller more compact 685s for mains they where THAT good when paired with a competent sub. I had a Velodyne MiniVee before, and that little sub just ran out of steam too quick, even for the 685's. The Sunfire gets physical! :T :B

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
        • Oct 2009

This is a lot of subwoofer for the dollar. My buddy bought on paired with DLR's Chameleon's(a 6 1/2" midwoofer with 1" tweeter) and loves it. It should dig deeper and go louder than your current sub. Pretty small too. Don't know if they are still on sale for $429 or not.

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

Good luck,
        "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
        -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by ClosetSciFiGeek
          This is a lot of subwoofer for the dollar. My buddy bought on paired with DLR's Chameleon's(a 6 1/2" midwoofer with 1" tweeter) and loves it. It should dig deeper and go louder than your current sub. Pretty small too. Don't know if they are still on sale for $429 or not.

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

Good luck,
          I have two of these Ultra-12's matched with my 804s. They are quite good for the price, and they are indeed quite small for a 12". I find them quite musical. I have not used them too much for HT though.
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• ryan.devry
            • Apr 2008

Thanks for the comments guys. Price wise I'm looking around 500 to 1000. I was going to upgrade everything as far as mains and electronics. However, I think just adding some more depth to my setup will hold me over for a while. I love the 685s, great bang for the buck!
            Ryan
            -------------------------

Comment

• leej
              • Feb 2009

Unless you want to stay with B&W, I'd recommend the Rythmik F15 Servo. It's very accurate for music and would add a Lot of punch for HT. Size might be an issue, as these are quite a bit larger than your ASW608. The F12 would be smaller and still give a lot more punch than what you have now. Also, I'd look at the SB12-NSD from SVS - its even smaller.
              Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
              B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• Aiden
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by leej
                Unless you want to stay with B&W, I'd recommend the Rythmik F15 Servo. It's very accurate for music and would add a Lot of punch for HT. Size might be an issue, as these are quite a bit larger than your ASW608. The F12 would be smaller and still give a lot more punch than what you have now. Also, I'd look at the SB12-NSD from SVS - its even smaller.

Finally, some sound advice. Subs like the Sunfire will not have enough displacement to do anything in that room. Most confuse the gobbs of distortion the Sunfires put out with spl. The Emo subs won't do much either (although a much better sub than the Sunfire if SPL is your main goal). The Emos have a huge peak in the midbass which some like but it sacrifices linearity.

Personally, the Rythmik, HSU VTF15, or HSU ULS15 would be my choices.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Aiden
                  Finally, some sound advice. Subs like the Sunfire will not have enough displacement to do anything in that room. Most confuse the gobbs of distortion the Sunfires put out with spl. The Emo subs won't do much either (although a much better sub than the Sunfire if SPL is your main goal). The Emos have a huge peak in the midbass which some like but it sacrifices linearity.

Personally, the Rythmik, HSU VTF15, or HSU ULS15 would be my choices.
                  What frequency range do you consider to be midbass?
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Aiden
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                    What frequency range do you consider to be midbass?
                    Midbass in subs is generally considered between 40-100. With speakers it is between 100-250.

The Emo subs have a huge peak between 50-60hz.

Have you eq'd your subs flat? Many like a rising curve or "house curve" which is typically fine as the response in our ears is similar but peaks are generally not a good thing.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Aiden
                      Midbass in subs is generally considered between 40-100. With speakers it is between 100-250.

The Emo subs have a huge peak between 50-60hz.

Have you eq'd your subs flat? Many like a rising curve or "house curve" which is typically fine as the response in our ears is similar but peaks are generally not a good thing.
                      I haven't EQ'ed them.. I am running of an analog preamp. I do have them crossed over at 50Hz with my mains and run them at extremely low volume just to provide some extra bottom end.
                      Main System:
                      B&W 801D
                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                      Oppo BDP-105
                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                      B&W CM7
                      Emotiva UMC-1
                      Emotiva UPA-2
                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"