X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Sunfire Jr vs. Sunfire True Mark IV

Okay, my Sunfire True Mark IV has some damage, so I had to send it back to Sunfire. But wait, Sunfire says you can take it back to your dealer and have them send it in. Cool, maybe I can get my dealer to loan me another sub while mine is in the shop. Sure enough my dealer says I loan you the Sunfire Jr. you might be surprised. Hey that's cool, at least I have a sub until my returns. I get it home hook everything up, recalibrate the sub, and wow, it sounds better than my Mark IV (faster in music). So now I'm thinking get two of these puppies and I'll be set right. Wrong, Sunfire now has a subwoofer that has an auto calibrator built in with a Mic, and it's very pretty.

I can't spend any more money (promised the wife), I'm trying to upgrade to this beautiful sub, but I believe my one year upgrade policy has expired.

That's my story, any comments/advice is welcome.

Regards,

Azeke
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Azeke!

I hear you!

One of my buddies had a brand new Sunfire Jr sub......tiny little buggar.....but the dynamics and the overall thunder is :E

Placing 2 subs in a room is always really really hard........but always doable with the right buddies :W :lol:

:T
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Yeah Bam, I know it's difficult to place two subs and obtain acoustical balance, but hey I can dream can't I . I guess I better save up for some spectrum analyzer software :lol:

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• rich0372
        • Jul 2004

Hey guys I have the true sunfire signiture you should try that one on for size trust me your dreams of 2 subs will come true with one I autioned them both before I purchased it the mark 1V and signiture sound basiclly the same just alot more spl out of the signiture

Rich

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Rich,

Yes, but now Sunfire has two new subs, that have replaced the previous sunfires that you have mentioned, which include a new beautiful look, as well as auto-calibration (mic included). Take a look at those puppies, that's what caught my eye. It's no longer a ugly beast in the corner, if you catch my drift.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• rich0372
            • Jul 2004

Why new ones I might be catching the upgrade bug :wink: Well I was thinking of getting another sub even though one is enough I will definely check them out. your right the new ones do look nicer

Rich

Comment

• boe
              • Jul 2004

Strange

I don't like my Sunfire. It makes noise even when there is no audio. I've adjusted everything I can. Do they all or is it just mine?
              Last edited by boe; 01 August 2004, 19:03 Sunday.

Comment

• rich0372
                • Jul 2004

Hey when I got mine it did the same thing My dealer said it was my tv cable line {the amp in the sub was picking up noise from it} I purchased a video interface that eliminates ground loops and the hum went away If you want anymore info you can pm me Rich

Comment

• Prozakk
                  • Jul 2004

2 subs, with no problems: stack them.

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

Alright with some regret, my Subfire Mark IV has returned, repaired under warranty, including upgrades.

What upgrades you may ask?

1) Replaced the passive cone (orginal issue) including a amp upgrade.

2) Upgraded a module to eliminate hum, (even though I didn't have that issue).

3) One other thing that I don't recall.

4) No cost.

Way to go Sunfire :T .

I have to tweak it now, to see how it compares to the Sunfire Jr. I started to tell my dealer to keep it and take the loss, but my curiosity has the best of me. We will see said the blind man, as he grabbed his hammer and saw 8) .

Just a side note, my wife ask me is that the original or an upgrade. She knows me well . Not this time dear.

I'll keep you posted,

Azeke
                    Last edited by Azeke; 06 September 2004, 20:09 Monday.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Are you sure Azeke or should you be posting this under the HT Addiction thread too! LOL!!

Jim
                      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

Probably so Jim. but for now I am content, where I am 8), if you know what I mean.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Okay,

After further tweaking, the Sunfire Mark IV is definitely the one for Movies/HT, (due to it's large cone size). The Sunfire Jr. was much quicker for music, but I'd rather have the Mark IV, due to it's chest thumping capabilities.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• dwilson28
                            • Jan 2005

Video interface

Where can you buy the viedo inferface the address ground loops

Originally posted by rich0372
                            Hey when I got mine it did the same thing My dealer said it was my tv cable line {the amp in the sub was picking up noise from it} I purchased a video interface that eliminates ground loops and the hum went away If you want anymore info you can pm me Rich

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

There's a couple of options here...the best is to buy a grounding block at a store like Radio Shack that goes inline with your coax cable. You then ground the metal block to your house ground (or water pipes etc). These are about $5 so they're cheap and very effective when installed properly. There's also other inline filters that can help that range in cost from very expensive to slightly less expensive. I'd try the grounding block first.

Comment

• Spookyslow
                                • Oct 2004

Sunfire Sig

I had the hum/buzz problem with my Sunfire Signature.....then it mysteriously went away. But of couse, because I'm writing about it now, it'll return.

I love my Sunfire for movies/Ht but I'm a little dissappointed with it's performance with music. Don't get me wrong, it's a not horrendous and unforgivable but just a little dissappointing.

Any advise for 'tuning' it up a bit?

BTW, when I first plugged my Sunfire in, the wife was thinking the Balrog was actually in our basement :lol:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

If its not getting the job done for movies move its position until you find something more even in freq response.

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Spookyslow
                                    I had the hum/buzz problem with my Sunfire Signature.....then it mysteriously went away. But of couse, because I'm writing about it now, it'll return.

I love my Sunfire for movies/Ht but I'm a little dissappointed with it's performance with music. Don't get me wrong, it's a not horrendous and unforgivable but just a little dissappointing.

Any advise for 'tuning' it up a bit?

BTW, when I first plugged my Sunfire in, the wife was thinking the Balrog was actually in our basement :lol:
                                    I believe due to the larger cone size as compared to the Sunfire Jr., music does give a slight problem.

I have tried a couple of things:

a) Turned the sub with the cone facing outward not towards the corner.
                                    b) Adjust the phase control, (trying doing it in stereo mode initially)

Also be aware of your source material, this can yield varying results.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• junior77blue
                                      • Nov 2004

I had a similar buzz issue on my true subwoofer. I had the amp replaced with a mark IV plate and no problems ever since!

Comment

• Spookyslow
                                        • Oct 2004

Right now, I have the active driver facing the wall with the passive facing the room. Odd as this may be, I think it sounded a better when I had it facing at 45deg angle toward the corner. I don't think I got so much of the 'boominess' I get with it sitting perpendicular to the wall.

Is this possible? Could it be an oddity of my room?

One other thing...when I flip the toggle to video contour from flat, it sounds better in 2 ch listening. But I don't really want to flip the damn switch when I change sources!

Thanks for the advice...

Comment

• Azeke
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2003

Quick thoughts:

1) Have you calibrated your speakers, including the sub?

I also made a bass trap out of an old bathroom rug and that seemed to control things a little better.

Moving the sub around, even inches can make a difference, but don't forget to re-calibrate.

The video contour switch just cuts the low frequencies out, I believe @ 40.

Check you menu settings to see if you can do any bass management for music.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• Spookyslow
                                            • Oct 2004

Azeke,
                                            Yeah, I've calibrated the sub and set the LFE level on my processor to 0dB. Maybe I'm just being overly critical or I can keep moving it around my room until I'm happy.

The video contour/flat toggle is a pretty slick thing. I believe with the Sig, the flat setting takes it down to 16hz and the VC setting cuts it at 35. Is it different with Sunfire's over models?

Thanks for the help...

Comment

• Stoney
                                              • Dec 2004

I had a problem with a 60~ hum/buzz in a pair of B&W 605 S2. First noticed it with system off and subs in standby. Turned out to be an AC motor in a vaporizer used in another room of the house inducing some noise back into the house wiring. Good argument for a dedicated power circuit for the HT. BTW; the vaporizer lost, it's gone, replaced by a new one that doesn't cause any problems.
                                              Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                                              Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                                              B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                                              DM602 S2 Surrounds
                                              DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                                              CC6 S2 Center.
                                              ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Azeke
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2003

The video contour/flat toggle is a pretty slick thing. I believe with the Sig, the flat setting takes it down to 16hz and the VC setting cuts it at 35. Is it different with Sunfire's over models?

Thanks for the help...
                                                Yes, at least for the Mark IV.

You're welcome,

Azeke

BTW, have you tried the Bass trap concept yet?

Comment

• Spookyslow
                                                  • Oct 2004

No i haven't fooled with a bass trap yet.
                                                  How did you make your's work? Where did you place it in relation to your sub?

Comment

• Azeke
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2003

No i haven't fooled with a bass trap yet.
                                                    How did you make your's work? Where did you place it in relation to your sub?
                                                    It was a homemade basstrap, as previously stated. I just rolled and old bathroom rug and placed it in the corner, voila, psuedo-bass trap.

I actually live in Centreville, VA. if you wish to further discuss this issue you can PM.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Crowman
                                                      • Jan 2005

Same issue

Originally posted by rich0372
                                                      Rich,

could you please tell me how I go about getting rid of this noise for an MKII... I think my sunfire is doing the same thing. I also get a short popping sound as if a signal is going through the sub when it isnt. Any suggestions? thanks. I saw the above post, what if I cannot get to pipes?

crowman
                                                      Last edited by Crowman; 24 January 2005, 17:48 Monday. Reason: change question

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"