How big is that difference 802d vs 802di????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofiel10
    • Nov 2009

How big is that difference 802d vs 802di????

I am sure it's been discussed already, but I can't seem to find that conversation back and maybe there's some people on the forum now that have actually traded in their 802d's for 802di's, or have a dealer demonstrated them side by side....

1. Is the 802di a better speaker than the 802d??
    2. What kind of difference should one expect, marginal improvement only to be recognised by people that want to hear the difference bc they just paid several thousands of $$ more for their upgrade (let's say the improvement one would get or assume with changing the power socket. cables or whatsoever) or major improvement in the range of 803d to 802d???
    3. Is this price increase justified?

So can someone give us a well argumented opinion...preferably from someone who has actually heard them, not just the "I don't think 802d's are the best value for money or Wilson Audio's Sasha is really a better speaker" discussions...

Thanks guys!
  • rolski
    • Feb 2005

I can give you yet another perspective - I've paid for the upgrade (and they're finally waiting for me at my dealer) but I'm sending them back !
    I'm not going to repeat the details (covered in another thread) again, but I've lost all faith in B&W and believe they're no longer reliable. Are they going to be there for me in the future if I've a problem / need a spare part ? No, clearly not, and there are alternatives, so it's time to say goodbye....

Comment

• Canuck525
      • Sep 2010

I have had B&W for about 20 years now and have always been a huge fan until the last D series which I purchased blind. I currently have the 802D. It simply does not live up to the price tag or the B&W name of old . With just a little change the 802D could be a great speaker. Is the current one great? I was waiting to hear more about the 802 and 800 diamond but with so little feedback something serious must be going on. I am about to bail ship and go to Wilson Sasha's.

Comment

• Skyblue
        • Jun 2009

Wilson sashas are supposed to be something else. Probably not a bad alternative.

Personally I think Intel made a mistake and have production problems in their new factory. They should have emulated intel: Either move factory or change product. Do NOT change product AND move factory at the same time... Tic toc...
        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Canuck525
          I have had B&W for about 20 years now and have always been a huge fan until the last D series which I purchased blind. I currently have the 802D. It simply does not live up to the price tag or the B&W name of old . With just a little change the 802D could be a great speaker. Is the current one great? I was waiting to hear more about the 802 and 800 diamond but with so little feedback something serious must be going on. I am about to bail ship and go to Wilson Sasha's.
          I heard the new Wilson Sashas a couple of weeks ago and the spectacular sound is still alive in my memory.

I think the problem with the 800 Diamond Series speakers is that you need to get all of the electronics in the system matched to near perfection in order to get the quality of sound that you were expecting. And, this is a big challenge, without even tackling the room acoustics which are equally important.

I am starting the process of building a new system in the family room of our PA home, and I will take the time to really listen to a variety of speakers before I consider approaching the possibility of going with B&W again.

Comment

• Mark_NZ
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by beden1
            I heard the new Wilson Sashas a couple of weeks ago and the spectacular sound is still alive in my memory.
            I also heard the Sasha a couple of months ago which did sound very good and musical. In a separate smaller demo room with relatively more expensive electronics, the new 802Di did not sound as impressive. I don't know whether this was down to the room, lack of speaker run-in and/or lack of synergy (unlikely given they were using Classe gear on 802Di). I left confused, and will have to re-audition 802Di before making any conclusions.

I think the problem with the 800 Diamond Series speakers is that you need to get all of the electronics in the system matched to near perfection in order to get the quality of sound that you were expecting. And, this is a big challenge, without even tackling the room acoustics which are equally important.
            I found this to be true to an extent with the 804S, but interestingly I haven't found this to be a significant problem with the 803D. The overall voicing and diamond tweeter to my ears is much more forgiving, despite being fairly transparent, than other loudspeakers I have owned.

With just a little change the 802D could be a great speaker.
            I am genuinely curious what changes you believe the 802D requires to be a great speaker?
            The one change I think is required is tighter and more damped bass. I suspect this is the one area that the 802Di is suppose improve - but further auditioning is required to confirm. In fact I prefer the 803D in this respect because the 803D strikes a nice balance between bass depth and weight without being too boomy.

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Mark_NZ
              I also heard the Sasha a couple of months ago which did sound very good and musical. In a separate smaller demo room with relatively more expensive electronics, the new 802Di did not sound as impressive. I don't know whether this was down to the room, lack of speaker run-in and/or lack of synergy (unlikely given they were using Classe gear on 802Di). I left confused, and will have to re-audition 802Di before making any conclusions.

I found this to be true to an extent with the 804S, but interestingly I haven't found this to be a significant problem with the 803D. The overall voicing and diamond tweeter to my ears is much more forgiving, despite being fairly transparent, than other loudspeakers I have owned.

In fact I prefer the 803D in this respect because the 803D strikes a nice balance between bass depth and weight without being too boomy.
              I also have the 803Ds and found them to be a better overall balance in our large expansive room with 26' ceilings. But, I also actively experimented with the electronincs until I found a great overall balance anchored by Classe mono amps and the SSP-800. As my quest for the right sound started to pay off in the end, I have to say that the diamond tweeter may initially present itself as being more forgiving than say the tweeters in my 703s, but, they were in fact the most demanding of a quality front end in order to fulfill their optimum levels of performance. And, until you get your system to that point of experiencing what they are capable of, you may get lulled into thinking that you have already arrived.

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by audiofiel10
                1. Is the 802di a better speaker than the 802d??
                2. What kind of difference should one expect, marginal improvement only to be recognised by people that want to hear the difference bc they just paid several thousands of $$ more for their upgrade (let's say the improvement one would get or assume with changing the power socket. cables or whatsoever) or major improvement in the range of 803d to 802d???
                3. Is this price increase justified?
                1. Yes, without question.
                2. A modest improvement. The most notable of these being overall tonal balance followed by transparency and sound-staging.
                3. If I were to compare the 802Di to the 800D then yes the price is more than justifiable. Why the 800D? Because the new 802Di does nearly what the 800D can do but for less money.
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I am starting the process of building a new system in the family room of our PA home, and I will take the time to really listen to a variety of speakers before I consider approaching the possibility of going with B&W again.
                  Have not heard the Sasha's yet but did the previous Watt/Puppy's and yes they were quite good and for me the sweet spot of the series. Still I think you owe it to yourself to seriously consider the new Diamond Series before making a final decision. I heard the 802Di with an all Classe' system (CDP-202, CP-700 and CT-2300) and for the first time (albeit the only time so far) I was left with an indelible impression that I have NEVER observed before (and still haven't gotten over for 6 months) with the previous models which I find admirable to begin with. As someone with Classe' gear some quality time with the new series should be an absolute must.

Comment

• Pio
                    • Nov 2005

audiofiel10 - go and listen before you buy!! You can pick up a pair of 802Ds for around $8K on-line or around 9K, if you negotiate, with a dealer. That's pretty much half the price of the new 802Di. I have yet to hear the new 802Di, but I would be surprised if the difference was huge. Sorry, I'm skeptical about the advertising hype.

FWIW - I listened to the Wilson Sashas a few weeks ago, they sound pretty good but are priced closer to the 800's. Haven't heard the 800D's. Over 25K!!

I run my 802D's with a Parasound JC2 and JC1 amps and the sound is fantastic! Had issues with my new room being smaller than the old one, but with a few bass traps and panels all issues have all but disappeared.

Personally, if I had the money, I would buy a pair of Watt/ Puppy 8's. I don't hear a huge difference with the new Sasha's.
                    Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                      Have not heard the Sasha's yet but did the previous Watt/Puppy's and yes they were quite good and for me the sweet spot of the series. Still I think you owe it to yourself to seriously consider the new Diamond Series before making a final decision. I heard the 802Di with an all Classe' system (CDP-202, CP-700 and CT-2300) and for the first time (albeit the only time so far) I was left with an indelible impression that I have NEVER observed before (and still haven't gotten over for 6 months) with the previous models which I find admirable to begin with. As someone with Classe' gear some quality time with the new series should be an absolute must.
                      I did hear the 805Di and 802Di briefly last week connected to CA-M400s through a CP-700 and they sounded very good indeed. But, I did not have the time to then go down the street to the other dealer with the Wilsons for any timely comparison. I will want to spend some ample time to compare the two, and others, before I get close to any decisions.

I wish the dealers would have set up an actual comparison between the 802Ds and the 802Dis, for example. That way we could legitimately compare the two. Now, I'll probably have to wait to read Kal Rubinson's impressions since he has lived with the 802Ds for several years.

I also have to admit that I am no longer excited about spending months researching and traveling, trying to put a another system together, as it is just getting too complicated these days. Just last week, I went into a dealer that I had visited two weeks before, and the dealer received notice that a processor we were discussing was being replaced with an upgraded model that would be available in 2011. Then after you buy a piece of electronics of any flavor, you are faced with constant updates and etc.

It used to be relatively easy and enjoyable in the old days to select the system by listening, and then time to set up the system...and then just settle in for many years of enjoyment. ("set it and forget it")

Thanks for your input.

Comment

• Pio
                        • Nov 2005

I wish the dealers would have set up an actual comparison between the 802Ds and the 802Dis, for example. That way we could legitimately compare the two.
                        I agree! I wish they did this but of course they won't, imagine if the consumer likes the previous model better? That would be a sales disaster.
                        I have an excellent relationship with my dealer, but they are sales guys above all else. It's their business to make money.

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

I wish the dealers would have set up an actual comparison between the 802Ds and the 802Dis, for example. That way we could legitimately compare the two.
                          It will never happen Dealers have to make money it's always the better bigger deal... New products = more $$$$$$

Now, I'll probably have to wait to read Kal Rubinson's impressions since he has lived with the 802Ds for several years.
                          Unless one can make a comparison like the set-up at Harman that Dr. Toole created it will always be subjective :cry:

I also have to admit that I am no longer excited about spending months researching and traveling, trying to put a another system together, as it is just getting too complicated these days. Just last week, I went into a dealer that I had visited two weeks before, and the dealer received notice that a processor we were discussing was being replaced with an upgraded model that would be available in 2011. Then after you buy a piece of electronics of any flavor, you are faced with constant updates and etc.

It used to be relatively easy and enjoyable in the old days to select the system by listening, and then time to set up the system...and then just settle in for many years of enjoyment. ("set it and forget it")

I agree 100% we are always inundated about new stuff coming and all the manufacturer have to do this or they die...

The Audio industry is mimicking itself on the computer industry and if you don't release new products every 6 months or so you are Passé..

Of course the difference is that in the computer industry you get more for your $$$ in Audio you get less every time just look at the 800 series.

Same design since 2000 yes the parts inside have changed but the price have more that tripled!!!!

B&W and Classé are very smart they use the same envelop for the DELTA serie and the 800 series to maximize cost of manufacturing make a few modifications inside, planned over ten years so that way the profit margins continue to go up and the cost is kept the same. The customer wanting the new shine every year pulls out the cards...

I have decided that except for my ipods that I replace every three years, I am going to stay put with my system for at least 10 years.

It will be tough as I am a technology geek but, I can't imagine spending $50K every two years because something better by 5% comes out. Of course I drive a twelve year old car so I am not much in "the Jones"

Sorry for the long response :B

PS: My next buy will be a 60 Inch OLED screen when they cost $2000 or less
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

Brooks,
                            Personally I'm a B&W fans,I have a new 803DI and sound very good.
                            I prefer the new 803 vs. the "old"...and with the 802 is the same.
                            I have listen the 802DI with Classe electronics...and is very good.

But the Wilson, with te Sophia (or Sasha)i is a very great speaker.
                            Differnt vs. the 802. with the Wilson you can listen at 50Db and at 70Db.... and is amazing.
                            The 802 is similar but a "low volum" the Wilson give you a pleasure that the B&W dont give you :roll: : are 2 great speakers but before go with a new 802DI I will consider the Wilson product.

Have a 802D and 802DI to listen with the same pre&ampli is the Top.
                            I have the 803D and 803DI and I listen music with one and the other ....: the new DI is more opwn, all the details come out from the tweeter/Mid & woofer.... well the improvement is significant for me (eg no more boomy effect as before ... the price is justified.

in Europe with a 802di & htm2di cost like a couple of Sashia 3 (or very similar) then the choice is not easy

style

Comment

• beden1
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006

That's what I have a problem with in new products being launched by manufacturers, particularly when it comes to electronics and speakers. Like in this case with B&W's new 800Di Series speakers. If the improvements are audibly better than the 800D Series, then B&W should want to proudly audition the new series right next to the series they are replacing.

What I suspect however, is that the improvements may just look better on a spec sheet and as some talking point in a sales brochure, as opposed to readily being differentiated by the human ear.

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by style
                                Brooks,
                                Personally I'm a B&W fans,I have a new 803DI and sound very good.
                                I prefer the new 803 vs. the "old"...and with the 802 is the same.
                                I have listen the 802DI with Classe electronics...and is very good.

But the Wilson, with te Sophia (or Sasha)i is a very great speaker.
                                Differnt vs. the 802. with the Wilson you can listen at 50Db and at 70Db.... and is amazing.
                                The 802 is similar but a "low volum" the Wilson give you a pleasure that the B&W dont give you :roll: : are 2 great speakers but before go with a new 802DI I will consider the Wilson product.

Have a 802D and 802DI to listen with the same pre&ampli is the Top.
                                I have the 803D and 803DI and I listen music with one and the other ....: the new DI is more opwn, all the details come out from the tweeter/Mid & woofer.... well the improvement is significant for me (eg no more boomy effect as before ... the price is justified.

in Europe with a 802di & htm2di cost like a couple of Sashia 3 (or very similar) then the choice is not easy

style
                                I spent considerable time discussing my B&W/Classe system with the dealer, and the reasons I stayed with the 803Ds in the large expansive room with 26' ceilings they are in. He agreed that the 803Ds were probably the best B&W solution for my lively room, as the 802/800Ds may have been too boomy. He also felt that the character of the new Di Series would be too lively in my room, and actually recommended that I stay with the 803Ds. But, he felt there may have been better options for me with other manufacturers, and said that one very good one they didn't sell (Wilson). That's why I went down the street that week to audition the Wilson speakers.

I'm now playing with the idea of moving my B&W speakers set from my FL house to my PA house, and getting different speakers there (possibly Wilsons), but, I have not determined if I want to continue with an HT setup or just build a great stereo system?

I actually went there to look at replacing my 58" Pioneer Elite rear projection hi-def TV that I've had for 15+ years, and is starting to have some issues. Our family room is all windows and has many reflections, and I need a TV with an anti glare screen. Unfortunately, I found out that the new LED screens have glare similar to the plasma screens, so I'm not sure what to do? I'm looking for a 65" screen as we sit no closer than 20' away, and I agree with Wettou that I think I'll wait for the prices to keep falling at this point.

Comment

• ninja12
                                  • Mar 2007

[QUOTE=wettou]It will never happen Dealers have to make money it's always the better bigger deal... New products = more $$$$$$

I could not agree more. I doubt very seriously if any dealer will have the current 802Ds let alone have them set up because if they did, they would have an extremely hard time selling the 802Dis. I can guarantee that no one will hear much of a difference to justify the price increase for the 802Dis. I did have the opportunity to hear the 802Dis, and to be honest, I would prefer my 802Ds. Maybe because my room is treated and the dealer room didn't appear to have any treatments; but, who knows what they could've had behind the drywall. Anyway, I'm sure that the 802Dis will sound just as good as the current 802Ds if setup properly and the room is properly treated. Anyway, I did get a chance to hear the Wilson Sasha, and my eyes did almost pop out my head. They are some extremely very nice sounding speakers. If I had to do it all over again, I believe I would have to give them my business. I'm just being honest. Then, I looked at the price tag and came back to my senses real quick and left the store even quicker. No, I don't want to hear the Sashas again.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ninja12
                                    I did have the opportunity to hear the 802Dis, and to be honest, I would prefer my 802Ds. Maybe because my room is treated and the dealer room didn't appear to have any treatments; but, who knows what they could've had behind the drywall.
                                    Well, you heard them but hardly under conditions that would permit a valid comparison.
                                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Pio
                                      • Nov 2005

[QUOTE=wettou]It will never happen Dealers have to make money it's always the better bigger deal... New products = more $$$$$$

:agree:

Comment

• ninja12
                                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                        Well, you heard them but hardly under conditions that would permit a valid comparison.
                                        That's very true, and I realize that. However, the Wilson's were in a dedicated room, and the room was treated which made a big difference. So, it was very obvious to me which speakers the dealer was really trying to sell. I would've loved to have heard the 802DIs in a dedicated room. I'm sure they would've sounded a lot better than what they did. Based on the room that they were in, they were a real turn off. They definitely didn't get the true justice that they deserved. I guess B&W doesn't have much say in how the dealer does the setup for their speakers.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2006

That's very true, and I realize that. However, the Wilson's were in a dedicated room, and the room was treated which made a big difference. So, it was very obvious to me which speakers the dealer was really trying to sell. I would've loved to have heard the 802DIs in a dedicated room. I'm sure they would've sounded a lot better than what they did. Based on the room that they were in, they were a real turn off. They definitely didn't get the true justice that they deserved. I guess B&W doesn't have much say in how the dealer does the setup for their speakers.
                                          Everything is negotiable, I guess.

I have not yet received the new B&Ws (in shipment, they say) but I would be surprised if they were a huge improvement on the Ds simply because, IMHO, huge increments are rare among modern quality designs and within design families. Hence, I would suspect that room setup and acoustics would easily swamp any differences between the D and Di (to say nothing about the transitory nature of audio memory).

Kal
                                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• ninja12
                                            • Mar 2007

Everything is negotiable, I guess.

I have not yet received the new B&Ws (in shipment, they say) but I would be surprised if they were a huge improvement on the Ds simply because, IMHO, huge increments are rare among modern quality designs and within design families. Hence, I would suspect that room setup and acoustics would easily swamp any differences between the D and Di (to say nothing about the transitory nature of audio memory).

Kal
                                            I couldn't agree with you more. I would love to have the 802DIs setup in my room in the exact same spot that my 802Ds are in. I am willing to bet that I probably would not hear too much of a difference between the two.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2006

I couldn't agree with you more. I would love to have the 802DIs setup in my room in the exact same spot that my 802Ds are in. I am willing to bet that I probably would not hear too much of a difference between the two.
                                              Mebbe. Mebbe not. But that's the only way to find out (and what I intend to do).
                                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Mebbe. Mebbe not. But that's the only way to find out (and what I intend to do).
                                                There is and in important ways for those already very familiar with the 802D. Hope you kept the old boxes because I am fairly certain you're not gonna let those 802Di leave. :B

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2006

I always keep the boxes. That's why I bought the house. :W
                                                  Kal Rubinson
                                                  _______________________________
                                                  "Music in the Round"
                                                  Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                  http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                    • Mar 2005

I have 800Ds and recently added a 2CH room with Wislon Sasha's... They sound great. very dynamic and integrated top to bottom. I use them with LAMM 1.2s amps, Audio Research REF5 and EMM Labs DAC2/TDS1 source.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2003

I spent considerable time discussing my B&W/Classe system with the dealer, and the reasons I stayed with the 803Ds in the large expansive room with 26' ceilings they are in. He agreed that the 803Ds were probably the best B&W solution for my lively room, as the 802/800Ds may have been too boomy. He also felt that the character of the new Di Series would be too lively in my room, and actually recommended that I stay with the 803Ds. But, he felt there may have been better options for me with other manufacturers, and said that one very good one they didn't sell (Wilson). That's why I went down the street that week to audition the Wilson speakers.

I'm now playing with the idea of moving my B&W speakers set from my FL house to my PA house, and getting different speakers there (possibly Wilsons), but, I have not determined if I want to continue with an HT setup or just build a great stereo system?

I actually went there to look at replacing my 58" Pioneer Elite rear projection hi-def TV that I've had for 15+ years, and is starting to have some issues. Our family room is all windows and has many reflections, and I need a TV with an anti glare screen. Unfortunately, I found out that the new LED screens have glare similar to the plasma screens, so I'm not sure what to do? I'm looking for a 65" screen as we sit no closer than 20' away, and I agree with Wettou that I think I'll wait for the prices to keep falling at this point.
                                                      Wilsons are over-rated.
                                                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• beden1
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                        Wilsons are over-rated.
                                                        I can't make any firm judgement without spending more time with them, but from what I heard initially, overrated or not...they sounded excellent.

The thing I have to figure out now, is if I heard the Sasha threes or the Sophia's. I placed a call to the salesman who auditioned them for me, but he's out this week.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

The Sasha's are first generation, the Sophia's are third generation.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                            Wilsons are over-rated.

Not sure if they are over-rated. These are the first speakers I've owned where after people listen to them they ask to bring some of their friends over to hear them too. They sound that good.
                                                            Last edited by SRT-10 Viper; 30 September 2010, 11:07 Thursday.

Comment

• Canuck525
                                                              • Sep 2010

So, if you had to own just one pair which would it be and why? One thing I noticed immediately about the D series is that they sounded quite compressed compared to my old B&W matrix 801 series III.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                                                                Not sure if they are over-rated. These are the first speakers I've owned where after people listen to them they ask to bring some of their friends over to hear them too. They sound that good.
                                                                I've never heard the bookshelf or the alexandria's, but of the ones I have heard, the Sophia is the only one that I cared for. People talk about how you can get better speakers for the same price as B&W's. I say that you can get better speakers for the same price as the Wilsons. Of course this is my opinion.

I'm curious, if you like the Wilsons that much over your 800D's, why aren't you swapping the 800D's out? What is it about the 800D's, other then the cost you have paid for them, that is making you keep them?

Would you offer pro's and cons on B&W vs Wilson? IMO, B&W have a MUCH greater sound stage, while the Wilsons may be very acurate (though I think sterile) have zero sound stage in my opinion. I like to feel enveloped when I listen to music and Wilson's fail to do that for me. so I will trade off on some accuracy (though b&w's don't compromise much) for soundstage. perhaps you are the opposite?
                                                                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• beden1
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Oct 2006

So, if you had to own just one pair which would it be and why? One thing I noticed immediately about the D series is that they sounded quite compressed compared to my old B&W matrix 801 series III.
                                                                  I have been tied up trying to settle an insurance claim after a lightning storm wrecked havoc on my HT system in our PA house. I need to replace my receiver and an outboard amp, as well as my TV that is starting to have some issues. I really did not want to spend the money to replace speakers too, but, you know how it is when you go into an audio store and start talking about rebuilding a system. :W

I'm currently using a receiver that is the same as the one that I lost, and that my daughter is going to be using in her apartment when she moves out. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go with a receiver again or not, or step it up, but, whatever it is needs to be idiot proof so my family can use it easily.

You mentioned the B&W Matrix Series speakers which I loved when they came out. They are the reason why I later decided to go the B&W route in my FL system to begin with, rightfully so or not. But, I still love the A/D/S 910 speakers that I've had in my PA house since the 1970's. They are just so smooth and pleasant to listen to, and have a very full body and depth of sound. I'm thinking that maybe today's speakers have become too techno with the speaker materials they are using, and they should have stayed with the paper cones?

I took notice when listening to the Wilsons, that their sound was also very natural and pleasant to listen to but more refined. I also loved the full depth of sound with the very defined yet loose bass tones. It was like there was no constraints on the bass whatsoever. I never get this initial impression when listening to the newer B&W speakers, nor did I get it listening briefly to the 802Di.

I definitely want to go back and listen to the Wilsons some more.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

I generally have found the Wilsons' too aggressive and forward to fully appreciate them with my sensitive ears. But they have improved somewhat in this area over the last few years. One notable feature that I do agree with beden1 on is the fullness sans muddiness you get in the lower registers. If it weren't for long term listening fatigue and shallow ROI they would probably make the short list. Of course choice of electronic accompaniment plays a big role here too, so using what one is familiar with (if they can) is advisable.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

I am keeping both for 2 different rooms... I have 800Ds, HTM1D, 802Ns and 2 JLF113s with Classe 800 and CT5300 AMP. It's a great HT system and excellent for music. I use the Wilson Sahsa's in a 2Ch room... Sound stage is wide (yet smaller room then theatre room so hard to compare). The sound is much more dynamic with the Wilson Sasha's and I actually get less fatigue then with B&W (but that's just me)... I talked to the dealer about his perspective of the 2 since he sells both lines (this was after my purchase) and he said B&W has become more dynamic with the new series and Wilson is becoming more musical with the new Sasha and the Sophia 3 vs prior model.

Comment

• Pio
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2005

Kal
                                                                        I couldn't agree more. IMO - unless you can get both the D and the Di in the same room, same conditions I'm skeptical that the new model is going to sound that much better.

I remember when the 802D replaced the 802N - some made it sound as if the 802N was a POS compared to the D and that was not the case. At least not to my ears.

Recently I listened to the new 805D and the dealer made it sound like the 805S was light years behind the new model and was just plain out referring to the S as a "drastically inferior" speaker - I'm sorry again not to my ears.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                          • 1676

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                                                                          I am keeping both for 2 different rooms... I have 800Ds, HTM1D, 802Ns and 2 JLF113s with Classe 800 and CT5300 AMP. It's a great HT system and excellent for music. I use the Wilson Sahsa's in a 2Ch room... Sound stage is wide (yet smaller room then theatre room so hard to compare). The sound is much more dynamic with the Wilson Sasha's and I actually get less fatigue then with B&W (but that's just me)... I talked to the dealer about his perspective of the 2 since he sells both lines (this was after my purchase) and he said B&W has become more dynamic with the new series and Wilson is becoming more musical with the new Sasha and the Sophia 3 vs prior model.
                                                                          Sophia 3
                                                                          Woofer: One – 10 inch (25.40 cm) Aluminum Cone
                                                                          Midrange: One – 7 inch (17.78 cm) Cellulose/Paper Pulp
                                                                          Tweeter: One – 1 inch (2.54 cm) Inverted Titanium Dome
                                                                          Sensitivity: 87 dB @ 1 watt @ one meter @ 1 kHz
                                                                          Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms, 3.1 ohms minimum @ 98 Hz
                                                                          Frequency Response: +/-3 dB 20 Hz - 22.5 kHz Room Average Response
                                                                          Minimum Amplifier Power: 25 watts per channel
                                                                          Overall Dimensions: Height - 41 5/32 inches (104.45 cm) w/o spikes
                                                                          Width - 13 5/8 inches (34.61 cm)
                                                                          Depth - 18 15/16 inches (48.12 cm)
                                                                          System Product Weight: 165 lbs (74.84 kg)
                                                                          Total System Shipping Weight (approx.): 485 lbs (219.99 kg)

Sasha
                                                                          Woofers: Two – 8 inch (20.32 cm)
                                                                          Midrange: One – 7 inch (17.78 cm)
                                                                          Tweeter: One – 1 inch inverted dome (2.54 cm)
                                                                          Sensitivity: 91 dB @ 1 watt @ one meter @ 1 kHz
                                                                          Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms, 1.8 ohms minimum @ 92 Hz
                                                                          Frequency Response: +/- 3 dB 20 Hz - 22 kHz Room Average Response
                                                                          Minimum Amplifier Power: 20 watts per channel
                                                                          Overall Dimensions: Height – 44 inches (111.76 cm) w/o spikes
                                                                          Width – 14 inches (35.56 cm)
                                                                          Depth – 21.25 inches (53.91 cm)
                                                                          System Product Weight: 197 lbs (89.36 kg)
                                                                          Total System Shipping Weight (approx.): 605 lbs (274.42 kg)

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

Originally posted by Pio
                                                                            I couldn't agree more. IMO - unless you can get both the D and the Di in the same room, same conditions I'm skeptical that the new model is going to sound that much better.

I remember when the 802D replaced the 802N - some made it sound as if the 802N was a POS compared to the D and that was not the case. At least not to my ears.
                                                                            Let's see what Kal says? I wonder if he will replace his 802Di maybe they give him a deal he can't refuse :B
                                                                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Cruxis
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Feb 2007
                                                                              • 30

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by wettou
                                                                              Let's see what Kal says? I wonder if he will replace his 802Di maybe they give him a deal he can't refuse :B
                                                                              Huh?

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Cruxis
                                                                                Huh?
                                                                                Dealer price - 40% off invoice

Comment

• Heckler08
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2010
                                                                                  • 5

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by wettou
                                                                                  Dealer price - 40% off invoice

what dealer is offering massive discounts... :clap:

most dealers, sticking at full retail prices in chicagoland area.

was looking to upgrade to 802DI series in gloss black.

Comment

• Canuck525
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2010
                                                                                    • 31

#42
                                                                                    Well, it was an expensive call but I just went ahead and ordered the 800 diamonds which were in stock. They will be here in approx 2-3 weeks. I will let you know what I HONESTLY think of them after I have had them a few weeks.A large factor in this decision was the fact I was getting full value for my 802D to trade up....

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2009
                                                                                      • 504

#43
                                                                                      Well, it was an expensive call but I just went ahead and ordered the 800 diamonds which were in stock. They will be here in approx 2-3 weeks. I will let you know what I HONESTLY think of them after I have had them a few weeks.A large factor in this decision was the fact I was getting full value for my 802D to trade up....
                                                                                      Now that is a nice dealer there. He cant possibly get that price for them as used...

Hmm but now I think perhaps I should have ordered the 800's too? Bahh..
                                                                                      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                      Search Result for "|||"