X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

803D arrived and installed...

Well, after the wife calmed down to a mild panic with the invasion of the fairly large 803D's she soon calmed down realising they are quite "pretty" pieces of furniture (went rosenut).

I was wanting to go 803D's and HTM2D's but the centre would have resulted in divorce.. so, it was close, but I decided to hold back ... for now.

I guess you all wondering how they sound? I am no doubt biased for a few reasons. Firstly they replace some pretty hopeless Boston Micros - which are fine in their own right in the purpose they serve but one cannot compare their sound to a speaker of the 803D's standard. Secondly I just love them aesthetically and have been presold on thier new technologies .... and finally I have not really heard the old 800 series.

So this is a somewhat biased review. Well I have no regrets ... well maybe one ... I should have got the HTM2D ... the Boston Micro centre just sounds so out of place its astonishing. So its on my shopping list ... and I am negotiating with my lawyer reagrding the potential divorce :W

Anyhow back to the nitty gritty. They sound ... well ... fabulous. What strikes me is the completeness of the entire sound spectrum. The highs are so detailed without any hint of harshness. The bass so extended and refined I often wonder if my sub is working or not. The mids appear between the two seemingly perfect extremes of highs and lows with superb accuracy without standing out too much or being drowned by either.

I'll attach some pics next time round when I have crancked them up a little more ... but for now its only 20 hrs or so into their run-in.

Dire Straits (HDCD) is just superb as well as Bryan Adams. Of course there was a little ABBA too ops: ...

Thrilled all round ... how they compare to the previous range I don't know - or care ... to me they are the nuts.

Rgds Steve.

Oh yes the front end is as follows...

Arcam DV88+
    Rotel RSP-1068
    Rotel RB-1080 (on the 803D's)
    Rotel RMB-1075 on the remaining Boston Micros
    REL Quake Sub

HTM2D has to be next followed by ASW865 mmmmm cannot wait! Upgraditis strikes again.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Congrats!
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• ti33er
      • Apr 2004

LOL, a REL Quake? - does this little guy even get a 'peep' in with your new warrior-class 803S's? hehe ...I had a Strata+Storm III at one stage with my N805's, REL's are top-class with B&W!

PS. I would try connecting your Quake's Hi-Level to your centre speaker if you haven't already - this may balance out the contrast in speaker size a little better?
      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• weijst
        • Jun 2004

LOL, a REL Quake? - does this little guy even get a 'peep' in with your new warrior-class 803S's?...
        Stevebez even more lucky then you think ti33er. He's now the proud owner of some 803D's!

Congrats Steve and enjoy your new toys!
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• ti33er
          • Apr 2004

sorry I obviously didn't take enough care writing the "D" part (don't know why I wrote that it was "S" - confusion during my quick lunch-time forum skimming responses, appologies)

Comment

• sprakash
            • Jan 2005

Congrats stevebez. Quick question. Did the midrange metallic thingy at the back of the speaker have the plastic 'transportation protector' screwed in that you had to remove before using? Just wondering since they were not in my 804S (but were there in the old series).
            Enjoy,
            SP

Comment

• gostan
              • May 2003

Steve:

When can we fly over and have a listen. Herein Massachusetts in the US of A, we are still waiting to have a listen to the 803D's.

Good luck with your new 803D's.

Stan
              Stan

Comment

• Twincam
                • Feb 2004

Enjoy! And don't forget the pics...

Comment

• Stevebez
                  • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,

No plastic cap I needed to remove at back of unit.

The hook up of the REL Quake with the centre channel sounds very interesting ... tell me more ??

Also here are a couple of pics ...

Rgds Steve.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• ti33er
                    • Apr 2004

Hi Steve

Simply chain the REL to (either the amp terminals or speaker side terminals) of the centre speaker via the Hi-Level input (Speakon Gas Neutrik cable - you should have one of these on the REL?)...this will make that centre channel sound much fuller.

I would suggest placing the REL inline with an 803 (like to the side) or even on that table if you can live with the aesthetics, so that the timing is the same?

When I had bought my N'HTM2 I didn't buy it with the HTM stand initially. I owned a REL Storm III and a Strata III sub...I positioned the Strata III sub in the centre position of my room and placed the N'HTM2 on top of it, and linked the Strata III to the centre speaker via the high level connection - this will blow you away! ...you gotta try connecting your sub into your centre channel! (of course your centre speaker must be set to LARGE on your amp as well, or else no deep bass information will be passed through to the centre channel!)

There is so much bass info that goes to that centre channel that is seldom harnessed - I sound like a REL rep (I am not, just love 'em!)

Comment

• rolski
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Stevebez
                      Hi Guys,
                      Also here are a couple of pics ...
                      Rgds Steve.
                      Steve,
                      That's a SERIOUS amount of toe-in you're using - do you really need that much ?

Comment

• Stevebez
                        • Oct 2003

Well the excessive toe in is just for convenience in terms of space ... as people will be walking past that unit often and don't want them wacking into the casings - let alone the tweeters.

You quite right it does affect the soundstage significantly, and when set almost dead ahead (only slightly toed in) I get the best soundstage.

And thanks for advice re REL and centre channel will definitely try it out.

Rgds Steve

Comment

• ti33er
                          • Apr 2004

Steve, you got PM

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"