X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geckoutca
    • May 2009

which speakers to use for home theatre system

I currently own DM602 s3 and use DM301's in the rear. i have the LCR60 as a center channel and power these all through a RSP 1098 processor and rmp 1075 amp. i recently purchased a set of three VM6 B&W speakers that i was considering using as my fronts/center and switching the DM602 's to the rear. however i was reading a round a bit some say these speakers (the VM6) may not be good for loud movie playing as the 602's. so now i am considering switching to having the 602's in front with the LCR60 center and moving two VM6 to the rear (b/c i can mount them on the wall) and then returning one of the VM6's. i am also running the velodyne impact 12 as the sub. the room is hardwood flooring and 15' wide and very open (runs into the kitchen area etc.). i currently run a samsung 52" lcd but plan on upgrading to the LG 60" plama when it comes out in june/july (only have a 3K limit for budget on tv)

curious what peoplse opinions are about my current dilema and what they think the best way to set this up would be.

John
  • sunshdw
    • Sep 2008

If it were me I'd stay with what you have. Although the VM6's are a great lifestyle speaker I don't feel like you'd gain anything but a cosmetic advantage.
    Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

geckoutca,

First of all, welcome to the forum. Lot's of good information in here.

As to you question, I would put the three VM6's up front. This would create a unified soundfield. Completely matched. System synergy is a very good place to get to. The 602's in the rear would be a nice upgrade over the 301's. Overall, you would have a nice upgrade to you system. Your Rotel electronics will drive them quite nicely. I wouldn't be too concerned about volume.

Also, don't forget to do an ISF calibration when you get your new TV later. about $350. Well worth the cost.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• geckoutca
        • May 2009

602's in rear vs vm6

my biggest problem is how to mount the speakers in the rear. the vm6's have the advantage of being very easy to place on the wall etc out of harms way of my dog who loves to investigate speakers on stands.

the room opens out in the back to the kitch etc so there is no corner to build a easy mount for the heavier dm602's i could put a coupel braces against the studs on the rear side walls i guess but i have a feeling my wife wouldn't like that one bit.

personally i am more interested in getting the best sound quality and being able to play the movies a fairly loud volume .....i will do what i have to do to be able to use the speakers i have the most efficiently....

thanks,

john

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

John,

You wrote that you already purchased them, right? Why not just try both combinations and see how you like it if you have all speakers with you? You don't have to mount them. Just go grab some shelves, chairs, whatever you can find in your house to temporarily elevate all the speakers to the position you want them... just for testing.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• peepaj
            • Jan 2009

John
            I had about the same problem also and used tv mounts like the ones below rated for up to 60 lbs. I cut the sides down to fit my speakers. If doing this take the same amount off each side, so to remain centered. Layout and drill holes to mount your speakers. Some sanding and a little black touch up paint your ready to go. I have studio 20’s mounted like this and have had no problems in the 3 to 4 years they have been up.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"