X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Should I keep 600s/exchange for 602s?

Hi, everyone I just got my 600s almost 2 weeks ago, and am thinking about exchanging the 600s for 602s. I can then put the 602s in front to match the LCR600 better and keep my 601s that I have as fronts right now and then use them for surrounds. The price difference would only be about $300. The 601s IMO are ok as fronts, but I think the 602s are better for the $300 more that I have to pay to get them. What's your guys' take?

If I use my 601s as surrounds right now, that'll mean I have to pay more for another pair of them as rear surrounds when I upgrade to 7.1. But wouldn't having 4 601s as side and rear surrounds be better for multi-channel music anyways? I think the 601s are much more capable of being dynamic than the 600s. Thanks for any opinion and suggestions.
  • kudeta
    • Sep 2004

If you can exchange your 600s for the 602s then I would recommend doing that they will be much better for music and will create a solid soundstage accross the front for HT
    Leigh

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Blazemaster,

Great idea - make that 2 votes!

Geoff

Comment

• Spookyslow
        • Oct 2004

Make that 3 votes. I decided on 602's for the rear after auditioning 601's. There was no debate once I heard them. If you have $$$ for 602's go for it, you won't regret it.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

thanks guys, I know you won't talk me out of it...hehe
          another reason why I'm deciding to use 601s instead of 600s as surrounds is that I have to wall mount them. With the 601s being front-ported, that makes it a better wall-mounted speaker than the 600s right? The 600s are rear-ported, kinda weird why they designed everything else to be front-ported. Do you guys know of any wall mount brackets that can support the 601s? I ordered these already and they should arrive today... http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...OD&ProdID=3205 do you guys know of anything else better that doesn't require the speaker to be screwed to the platform?

Comment

• Spookyslow
            • Oct 2004

Personally, I would look to something a less introsive. I don't like the idea of screwing my speakers to anything. Did you explore ready made shelving? There is some decent stuff out there....or if you're real handy you can hit Home Depot or Lowes and make your own. Either option could prevent you from putting holes in your speakers.

Or the simpleist answer is to purchase one of the taller speaker stands that are out there. That is if you have the room....

Hope this helps.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

I just got the mounts that I ordered now and I gotta work later so can't open the box until later. By the look of the design I don't think I have to screw the speaker itself into the mount. The mount has adjustable width and depth, with some museum wax, I think I can get the speaker pretty secure in the mount. The mount would then have to screw into the wall obviously. And no, I don't have room on the sides for stands maybe for the rears, when I get them.

Comment

• DrBoom
                • Dec 2003

This is how I would do it if I was in the market for some 600 series speakers.
                If you listen to 2 ch music a lot, have some budget, and enjoy a good movie or multichannel SACD/DVDA regularly I feel the best setup is 603 - LCR600 - 601.
                Unless you can spring for 603's as rears as well.
                If you don't listen to 2-ch a lot, and focus mainly on HT and multichannel or you're on a smaller budget, I'd get 4 601's with the LCR600.
                The reason is simple, the 601/603/LCR600 are the only speakers in the 600 range with identical 6 1/2" mid/bass drivers.
                You could also get 4 DM600's with the LCR60, same deal but with 5" midrange all around.
                The 604 matches great with the 602, but there is no center based on 7" midrange drivers which is a shame.
                If you run a test tone the difference between 604 and 602 is very small, but the LCR600 center sounds very different.
                Nevertheless a system with 602's and the LCR600 will still be very good, but the integration is just a tadd less than with 601/603's.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

I just picked up my 602s and gave them back the 600s. I have them downstairs playing music right now to break them in. While I was there I also had them play the PV1 for a quick moment since I'm in the market for a sub as well. I didn't think much of it just by judging its size, but when he put in some rap music with it and wow!! That demo room was easily 3000 cubic feet and more and leading to 3 more demo rooms and that baby could fill up the whole room with clean and responsive bass. I guess this is what musical subs can do with the right tunes. The cool thing about this thing is that when it's on full blast and you touch it, there's no vibration at all!! I guess that's one of the reason why it sounds so clean. Should I get the PV1 too? My main concern is for HT which is why I went w/ SVS in the first place, but now judging this thing, I have no doubt it can be just as stunning for HT as well with its fast and accurate bass.
                  And they're much lighter and better looking. I can have 2 of these in the living room and my girlfriend won't mind vs. if I have 2 SVSs she'll probably move out...

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"