X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

LCR60 or LCR600 with 603s3???

Was wondering if any you 603s3 users are using the lcr60 as a center instead of the 600.The reason i ask this is that i will using my existing center for now and i may only be able to afford the lcr60.I would like to get the 600 but i wont be able to right now.If any of you are using the lcr60 how compatible is it w/603s3,is it a major difference is it.If it is then would i be better off just using my existing center(def.tech. c2) until i can get a lcr600.What do you think?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

LCR60 will do "okay." It will sound pretty identical to the 603s, but you will really notice it's difference when there is a lot of action going on up front. You will feel like it just can't quite hack it compared to the 603s. It's not bad by any means, but the 600 does much better in my opinion. I think the Def. Tech. is going to stand out like a sore thumb (but you will be the best judge of that). I went from a Def. Tech. to a B&W setup and haven't looked back, I know there's some decent differences between the two.

You existing center will do fine, but once you get the 60/600 you will know how big of a difference having all the speakers timbre matched is.

Try to squeeze out the 600 if you can, you'll be much happier, but if you can't, the 60 will still make you happy.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• weijst
      • Jun 2004

I used to have the LCR60 S3 coupled with a pair of DM602 S3. I allways found the LCR60 S3 to be the weaker link in the frond soundstage. I believe the LCR60 is supposed to be paired with the DM600 S3 or the DM601 S3. Anything higher than that in the 600 series should be paired with the LCR600 S3...

My advice, keep your money in your pocket untill you can affort the LCR600 S3.
      Last edited by weijst; 29 November 2004, 03:56 Monday.
      Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

yes I strongly agree with weijst also on not using LCR60 for anything other than the 600s and 601s.

A little bit off the subject, I currently have the 602s as mains, LCR600 as center, 601s as surrounds and SVS PB12plus/2 as sub. I was thinking about exchanging the 602s for 603s, so I can have the 6.5 driver all around. I also see alot of people setting the 600s floorstanders as "small". If setting 603s as small, what's the advantage of even getting floorstanders then?
        Is it because it makes the bass harder to locate? Then that means, I'd have to set the 603s at a lower crossover than the other speakers to get more bass out of them to make the bass harder to locate then, right?
        Or should I just run the 603s as the only "large" speaker, once I get them?

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Stick with the 602s... You'll thank me later.

The 603s do not voice and image as well as the 602s. If you aren't happy with the 602s in terms of bass (which I don't know how you couldn't be with the PB12-Plus/2!), you'd have to get the 604s.

I A/Bed the 603/604/602s over my friend's house (I got the 604/602s while he has the 603s), and the 603s just could not keep up with the 602s and 604s. I was really surprised by this, I thought the 603s would do a lot better. Not saying they aren't good, but I thought the difference would be a lot closer. The 602s performed almost identical to the 604s, infact we couldn't tell the difference with the crossover at 80hz (ever so slight difference, but you really have to listen for it). However, the 603s were definitely a different sounding speaker. The imaging on the 603s was not as good as the 602s and 604s.

If you really want a floor standing one and can't pull off the 604s, then I'd say go for the 603s...but to me the 602s on stands beat the 603s hands down (when coupled with a sub mind you).

Stick with your 602s and go for something else you might need.
          -Dan

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

man, that's 1/1 people telling me not to get the 603s. PewterTA, did you demo them with multi-channel music? I was told that with multi-channel stereo or multi-channel music, I should match up the drivers sizes so they'd blend in better. Getting 604s with 602s would be nice, but within my current setup, I can only exchange the 602s right now, since the other speakers are over a month old.

I guess another option that I have is to upgrade the 601s that I have as surrounds right now to 604s later, and put my current 602s as surrounds. That'll leave the LCR600 as the only speaker w/ the 6.5 inch drivers.
            Last edited by BlazeMaster; 29 November 2004, 04:49 Monday.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Since they are all timbre matched I had no problem with DVD-A and SACD listening. If anything the 602s and LCR600 will show off the weekness of the 601s and 603s.

By all means though you can try out the 603s, if you can get a pair home to demo, go for it and see what you think. I just think that after you've had the 602s, you'll feel there is a little something missing, maybe a slight gain in bass response (maybe)...but only your ears can tell you if that's true or not.

To me, the 602s are some tough bookshelves to beat for their price.
              -Dan

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"