X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
    Rebelman, I have really gotten into HT more...In the above picture, you can see I have added 110 inch pull down screen. The HTM2D didn't sound up to the level of the 800Ds (left me wanting better dialouge in movies) so I decided to change that based on all the discussion here and because of my increased desire for HT... With this new investment, I'm staying : ). I've also spent enough time listening to other systems (Meridian 7000s, Wilson MAX IIs) and while each has a unique and great sound, I never walked away saying I need to change.
    I can now say I've heard both the Wilson's and the meridians. The B&W's are better.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I have a question for you crazy guys

You have these amazing audio and often also HT systems (not everyone has projection -have to go the projection route guys). Do the movies you play on them actually come up to scratch. Do you get frustrated if the movie has lame audio? Also have you all gone down the HD path? Just curious. I ask because often the most engaging movies are the low budget ones. Even my "humble" system is overkill for most of the good movies out there.

Not knocking your amazing audio systems. Would go there myself if funds allowed.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• rompower
        • May 2008

I just hooked it up!

Only thing I have to say... It's a breakjaw! sound is unbelievable!
        Bass is deep, mid are superb, I just watched Live free or die hard.. Amazing!

Thanks HTM1D!
        I am finally done thinking it's missing a little something in the center channel ))

Comment

• Gremal
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Briz vegas
          You have these amazing audio and often also HT systems (not everyone has projection -have to go the projection route guys).
          I have a much smaller room than most guys here, and use a 50" Kuro plasma rather than projection. But I decided to go the 802D/HTM1D route anyway because the audio is that important to me.

Do the movies you play on them actually come up to scratch.
          Since adopting Blu-ray, YEAH, most of the films in my burgeoning BD library sound incredible and many have dynamic surround tracks. Even the ones that don't have dialog and score anchored in the front three channels--especially the center. That's what made me want the center to be my best speaker. There are lemons, especially on DVD, that do sound dreadful. But it's the same deal with most music recordings.

Do you get frustrated if the movie has lame audio?
          No, I want to hear what's on the disc, whether it's good, bad or ugly.

Also have you all gone down the HD path? Just curious. I ask because often the most engaging movies are the low budget ones. Even my "humble" system is overkill for most of the good movies out there.
          It is a question of diminishing returns and what you're trying to accomplish. I want to hear everything in the soundtrack, warts and all. When it's been recorded, mixed and mastered properly, it's incredible.

Not knocking your amazing audio systems. Would go there myself if funds allowed.
          Funds don't allow. It's what home equity line of credit is for. 8)
          Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
          Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
          B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
          VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
          Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by rompower
            I just hooked it up!

Only thing I have to say... It's a breakjaw! sound is unbelievable!
            Bass is deep, mid are superb, I just watched Live free or die hard.. Amazing!

Thanks HTM1D!
            I am finally done thinking it's missing a little something in the center channel ))
            Welcome to the htm1d Club !!! ;x( ;x( ;x(

Truly an amazing speaker

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

I have a question for you crazy guys, You have these amazing audio and often also HT systems (not everyone has projection -have to go the projection route guys). Do the movies you play on them actually come up to scratch. Do you get frustrated if the movie has lame audio? Also have you all gone down the HD path? Just curious. I ask because often the most engaging movies are the low budget ones. Even my "humble" system is overkill for most of the good movies out there. Not knocking your amazing audio systems. Would go there myself if funds allowed.
              New movies in Blu Ray are amaizing, Fantastic 4 Silver surfer, the new Die Hard, War, 10,000BC, Spiderwick.... all those special effect blow them up and action movies are stunning. Especially Fox with DTS-Master Audio that is when you appreciate the sound tracks and image. Really cool
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Relentless
                • Jul 2007

Where are you guys crossing over the HTM1D? I always wanted a full range center but even with the HTM1D I think I would still cross it a 80hz.
                I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                Lou

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

You have these amazing audio and often also HT systems (not everyone has projection -have to go the projection route guys). Do the movies you play on them actually come up to scratch. Do you get frustrated if the movie has lame audio? Also have you all gone down the HD path? Just curious. I ask because often the most engaging movies are the low budget ones. Even my "humble" system is overkill for most of the good movies out there.

Briz,

I'm Full HD both in Satellite conversion to 1080p and BluRay with True HD. I use ONLY analog out of the Bluray player not hdmi nor digital anything and the sound is superior by far.

I don't do projection because the room doesn't have the back up space, but I can tell you that large LCD or Plasma can be amazing too. I have a 52 inch Sony Bravia LCD and everything goes to it via a DVDOVP50 PRO upscaler to 1080p.

I get 2 channels out of the satellite with Arts and ArtsHD and when you switch from one to the other the difference is not minor but incredible. Watch the raiin forest in HD or a Crocodiles eye you see everything. Sometimes you see too much like bad skin on one of your favorite actors.

I only buy BluRay now, as the old dvd system is outdated. However, be sure one day bluray DVD will be outdated and is on the horizon. BLURAY palyers will be a thing of the pas and everyone will download their films in full HD and store them on a harddrive.

But for the moment bluray is king

Comment

• misterdoggy
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Relentless
                    Where are you guys crossing over the HTM1D? I always wanted a full range center but even with the HTM1D I think I would still cross it a 80hz.
                    Its been recommended to me by my friend who is in tech at B&W UK to crossover at 50-60hz and set all the speakers to small with a Sub in play. I did not have the heart to even try and have the 802's htm1d and 804's all set to large with a crossover at 80hz as is recommended as the standard for THX.

One day I might try to see what difference it makes, but for the moment I am enjoying the full spectrum of bass out of the htm1d and others :T :T

Comment

• Allegiance
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                      Briz,

I'm Full HD both in Satellite conversion to 1080p and BluRay with True HD. I use ONLY analog out of the Bluray player not hdmi nor digital anything and the sound is superior by far.
                      What testing did you do to compare HDMI to analog audio? Also what HDMI equipment did you use?

I don't do projection because the room doesn't have the back up space, but I can tell you that large LCD or Plasma can be amazing too. I have a 52 inch Sony Bravia LCD and everything goes to it via a DVDOVP50 PRO upscaler to 1080p.
                      Does the Bravia have an internal scaler? How much better is the DVDOVP50?

I only buy BluRay now, as the old dvd system is outdated. However, be sure one day bluray DVD will be outdated and is on the horizon. BLURAY palyers will be a thing of the pas and everyone will download their films in full HD and store them on a harddrive.

But for the moment bluray is king
                      I don't think downloading movies will ever by king, consumers like to have something tangible. Also, most average consumers don't have a very fast internet or big download limit. And I don't know about you, but if I tried to download a 1080P Movie, I would be waiting a while. :P

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Allegiance
                        What testing did you do to compare HDMI to analog audio? Also what HDMI equipment did you use?
                        I tested it using an Anthem D2 going both hdmi audio/digital Rca and optical against analog and analog was superior clearly

Does the Bravia have an internal scaler? How much better is the DVDOVP50?
                        I think all HD lcd and plasma have internal scalers in order to be able to show 1080p, but the DVDO is supposedly superior, from what I have read. It is what is in many DVD players as the default upscaler.

I don't think downloading movies will ever by king, consumers like to have something tangible. Also, most average consumers don't have a very fast internet or big download limit. And I don't know about you, but if I tried to download a 1080P Movie, I would be waiting a while. :P
                        This technology is ever changing and the bandwith will change rapidly. Imagine an entire nation downloading at the same time as every household is internet connected. The demand is there and the bandwidth to do will happen quicker than we think.

Comment

• Gremal
                          • Apr 2007

This technology is ever changing and the bandwith will change rapidly. Imagine an entire nation downloading at the same time as every household is internet connected. The demand is there and the bandwidth to do will happen quicker than we think.
                          Yes, but if you think the downloads will feature quality better than blu-ray you are in for a tremendous disappointment.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Gremal
                            Yes, but if you think the downloads will feature quality better than blu-ray you are in for a tremendous disappointment.
                            its all evolving quickly

who would have thought what we have today

Comment

• Gremal
                              • Apr 2007

its all evolving quickly

who would have thought what we have today
                              Hmmm...not sure I can agree with you. NTSC is a 60 year old technology and we are still trying to get rid of it.

Comment

• watchthewaves
                                • Jul 2004

misterdoggy,

You mentioned early in the thread that your 802Ds are angled inwards. From the pictures, it seems like it is angled in very slightly only, and that if you draw a straight line out from both tweeters, they would meet at quite a distance behind the listener.

I am mainly into 2ch listening, and am wondering whether you didn't angle the speakers further inwards because for HT use, so much info comes out of your centre that you don't have to angle the L & R more to get a more focused image.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by watchthewaves
                                  misterdoggy,

You mentioned early in the thread that your 802Ds are angled inwards. From the pictures, it seems like it is angled in very slightly only, and that if you draw a straight line out from both tweeters, they would meet at quite a distance behind the listener.

I am mainly into 2ch listening, and am wondering whether you didn't angle the speakers further inwards because for HT use, so much info comes out of your centre that you don't have to angle the L & R more to get a more focused image.
                                  Depends on how far apart with the angling. I think the general opinion is toed in not drastically.

The distance between the speakers should be the same at the distance to the listener like a perfect triangle if you can.

It would make an interesting thread. How much do you angle your speakers in ?

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                    • Mar 2005

Misterdoggy; Still waiting for my HTM1D to come in... Why is it when you want something, time crawls ?? - lol. Has your HTM1D changed as it's begun to break-in? Give us you latest assessment.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Consider it prolonging your desire and enjoy the anticipation

I would say its like an 802D but better.... More Umph, Bass but its got more bass speakers (3) as opposed to the 802D which has 2.

I wonder what the guys system was like when he had 3 of them acting as fronts LCR

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

I would say its like an 802D but better.... More Umph, Bass but its got more bass speakers (3) as opposed to the 802D which has 2.
                                        Well that is why they made subwoofers, I like the 802D better as the tweeter is right at my ear level, of course I am able to have three 802D in the front otherwise I might have gone three HDM1
                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

Well this is the big question

Level of the tweeters and direction or angle of the tweeters

My 802D's are higher than my ear listening level as I am usually on the couch. In fact everyones couch should be lower than the tweeter.

In fact the height above my ear level of the 802D is EXACTLY the same distance of height the htm1d is below my ear level.

Now if its better higher or lower i am not sure but both are about 1 foot either higher or lower. Both are also angled slight up to ear level or down to ear level.

The fact that the htm1d is aimed and angled up at my ear has perfect direction in sound. I have mine off the floor and the marlan is also on top of the speaker higher than the placement on the speaker than the 802D's.

I conclude from this that there is no difference in distance for either speaker to my ear height therefore not difference in sound

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"