X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmed
    • Dec 2006

round over bit for 10 degree angled front baffle

Anyone have any ideas to round over the top anterior edge of a speaker that has a 10 degree angled speaker without spending a fortune on a specialized bit

• knowledgebass
    • May 2013

Have you considered using a standard bit? I feel like it would be convincing enough.

Comment

• gmed
      • Dec 2006

the speaker has a 10degree angle, you can't use a standard bit. You can, but then I would have to use something else to even it out. I have found them a little cheaper on eBay.

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

If the speaker hasn't already been assembled, round over the top, bevel its bottom surface and leave the baffle square.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Go old school and shape it with a rasp. :rofl:

I haven't done this, but I have a picture in my head and a crappy post-it note sketch. If you had a router table, you could maybe take off the bearing bit, flip it upside down, put a wedge on your fence to let the face ride along, have the fence a couple inches over from the center of the bit and then rout away. It wouldn't be a perfect transition like the fancy froud bit. But a 1/2" roundover on 3/4" material might work well and be essentially free.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• knowledgebass
            • May 2013

Originally posted by gmed
            the speaker has a 10degree angle, you can't use a standard bit. You can, but then I would have to use something else to even it out. I have found them a little cheaper on eBay.
            I get that, I built the Ansonica and so have a clear mental image of what that angle looks like on a box. A bearing at 90 degrees is still going to make contract on that sloped surface. It will just contact the corner of the bearing, but that might be good enough. The bit won't use the full length of the curve but you would probably get enough of the curve to get the idea/impression. If I follow K he's suggesting you build a jig so the bearing follows the face of the baffle, but it would still result in only using part of the bit's curve across the top. I think we both believe the result would look alright. I think CJD used a chamfer bit in the way I am suggesting on his original Ansonica build. Different bit, same idea with the bearing.

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

$50 on Amazon.
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Steve Manning
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by gmed
                Anyone have any ideas to round over the top anterior edge of a speaker that has a 10 degree angled speaker without spending a fortune on a specialized bit

If you happen to have a Bosch trim router with a tilt base I have a couple of options you could use.
                Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

I was suggesting taking the bearing off completely. Use the fence w/ a jig to guide it.

I'm going to have to look at a Bosch trim router with tilting base. I doubt I'd use it enough to justify, but it sounds like a nice toy.
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Steve Manning
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                    I'm going to have to look at a Bosch trim router with tilting base. I doubt I'd use it enough to justify, but it sounds like a nice toy.
                    Ryan, I've found mine to come in very handy ...... Not only can you flush trim edges that are not perpendicular to each other (part of gmed's issue), but I've made a few jigs for mine that allow flush trimming of surfaces at different levels vertically (protruding dowels, etc.) a lot easier and with more precision than a big router. Well worth the investment.
                    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Finleyville
                      • Sep 2006

You can always build a thin wedge with a 10 degree slope to place on top of the speaker. That way the trim router will be perpendicular to the sloped baffle. Do not ask me how to build the wedge though. It is my day off and I do not do math on my day off...
                      BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"