This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

Thanks MD. I hope I didn't jinx myself--want to make sure to get the HTM1D in one piece before celebrating!
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by Gremal
      Thanks MD. I hope I didn't jinx myself--want to make sure to get the HTM1D in one piece before celebrating!
      Warning.... Have some friends handy to help you. It took 4 of us to make it easy to move it from the driveway to the house and place it ;x( ;x(

Comment

• Relentless
        • Jul 2007

This thread has got me wanting to trade my HTM2D in on the 1D. 4 grand to upgrade the speaker is not the problem it's the tall cash it will cost to get another EVO amp that is weighing on my decision. I love HT and watching movies but say I can get the dealer down to the $11500 range for what I want........I have to wonder, would it be worth it?
        I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
        Lou

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Relentless
          This thread has got me wanting to trade my HTM2D in on the 1D. 4 grand to upgrade the speaker is not the problem it's the tall cash it will cost to get another EVO amp that is weighing on my decision. I love HT and watching movies but say I can get the dealer down to the $11500 range for what I want........I have to wonder, would it be worth it?
          Im pushing my 1d with a mcintosh 501 and its plenty

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Upgrades it never ends, I think I am done especially with the status of the financial markets.

I just returned from a vacation and realized that I would rather travel more frequently and enjoy myself rather than continue to upgrade.

After I am done with my Pre/Pro Classé SSP-800 or something else, I will take an other look in maybe ten years I might go for something new. By then hopefully technology will have made more progress but who knows.

That of course after I am done paying the college for the kids 8O
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Relentless
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by misterdoggy
              Im pushing my 1d with a mcintosh 501 and its plenty
              Sure I can get a less expensive amp. I can just use the TAS that I have to run the speaker. If I am going to take the plunge and upgrade to the 800's matching center I might as well get the matching amp also so the amps sound signature and the gain match.

does the upgrade bug ever die? :B
              Lou

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

does the upgrade bug ever die? :B
                It depends on you finances, if you have unlimited supply of cash then every year you can upgrade, now if you are like the common mortal then upgrading once every ten years is not bad just like cars, that's my philosophy
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Relentless
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                  It depends on you finances, if you have unlimited supply of cash then every year you can upgrade, now if you are like the common mortal then upgrading once every ten years is not bad just like cars, that's my philosophy
                  I think the trick is to stay off of these boards....seeing a picture of a piece you want and reading how much the happy owner loves it can drive you harder towards your goal. It can also make you miserable and make you not enjoy what you have. In the back of your head you think it can be better even know it is already a system that many would dream to have......that may be a bit of an extreme example.
                  Lou

Comment

• misterdoggy
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

I think the trick is to stay off of these boards....
                    We all need to stay away

Its like the sirenes calling Ulysses, he needed to put wax in his ears, we need to not go to the sites :W

Comment

• Gremal
                      • Apr 2007

Yes, although to tell you the truth, after I bought my N802s in 1999, I sent an email to B&W asking whether there were any plans to develop a center with the marlin head midrange/treble unit that would better match the 801 or 802 speaker for home theater. I've been waiting for something like the HTM1D ever since.

I just didn't anticipate the diamond part of it--but that was worth upgrading my N802s, too. If I wanted to go really nuts, I'd start thinking about upgrading the surrounds, but I can't see ever going down that path.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Gremal
                        Yes, although to tell you the truth, after I bought my N802s in 1999, I sent an email to B&W asking whether there were any plans to develop a center with the marlin head midrange/treble unit that would better match the 801 or 802 speaker for home theater. I've been waiting for something like the HTM1D ever since.

I just didn't anticipate the diamond part of it--but that was worth upgrading my N802s, too. If I wanted to go really nuts, I'd start thinking about upgrading the surrounds, but I can't see ever going down that path.
                        Gremal you will be very happy with the htm1d. Since the most important speaker in the ht is the center speaker. It is where the most amount of information is directed. And when you realize how good the center is, its light years better than anything else I have heard for a center. Its important to angle it up to the sitting position. I even have mine on a shelf raising it higher.

Comment

• Gremal
                          • Apr 2007

I even have mine on a shelf raising it higher.
                          I'm glad you mentioned this because I would like a shelf or stand to raise the speaker about 12 inches. What are you using for a shelf? Does B&W offer a platform or stand for the HTM1D? Ideally I could use the same platform that kallagtunet showed in his stunning photos (see "pictures" thread, post #1898 ) .

Comment

• misterdoggy
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

I am using apollo tempered glass shelf

It needs to be able to support the weight caus that sucker is heavy.

The imaging is pretty accurate when you angle it up to your sitting height.

I actually have my 802's angled down and htm1d angled up to my ear height

If you look below the speaker is resting on a shelf slightly off the ground. The other aspect to consider is the distance between the center speaker and the center of the screen. The further away the center speaker is the larger the 'soundstage". Ideally just under or over the screen is the best. However, angled up where I have it gives a smaller soundstage and the imaging is well centered both in height and center due to excellent room correction gear.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by misterdoggy; 28 June 2008, 08:04 Saturday.

Comment

• rompower
                              • May 2008

Misterdoggy,

Could you please let me know the dimension of the box of the htm1d ?
                              I'm going to transport mine so... I'd like to know if it will fit my car =)

Thanks

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by rompower
                                Misterdoggy,

Could you please let me know the dimension of the box of the htm1d ?
                                I'm going to transport mine so... I'd like to know if it will fit my car =)

Thanks
                                out of the box it should fint most cars easily its about 1m long by approx 60 x 60cm

I dont have the box handy as I put it in storage, but drove it over in my X5 BMW with the seats down. Just made it in height

Comment

• rompower
                                  • May 2008

OK, thanks
                                  It's a looonnnnggggg way to pick it up so I do not want to remove it from its box, never know what can happen on the road! =)

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Well seats down in the back it "just fit" in a BMW X5 lying on a side. the X5 is a pretty big car, but remember you need 4 people to move it around its 125 kilos just the speaker without the box

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                      • Apr 2005

I am using apollo tempered glass shelf

It needs to be able to support the weight caus that sucker is heavy.

The imaging is pretty accurate when you angle it up to your sitting height.

I actually have my 802's angled down and htm1d angled up to my ear height

If you look below the speaker is resting on a shelf slightly off the ground. The other aspect to consider is the distance between the center speaker and the center of the screen. The further away the center speaker is the larger the 'soundstage". Ideally just under or over the screen is the best. However, angled up where I have it gives a smaller soundstage and the imaging is well centered both in height and center due to excellent room correction gear.

That TV - is it the KDL-46X3500?

Comment

• rompower
                                        • May 2008

125kg? I read on B&W's website it's 202 lbs... ~90kg
                                        I have a RDX so I guess with seats down there will be room enough to carry it packaged
                                        And well... No needs to be 4 on it, I moved my 802d with just one friend. They barely weight the same.

Comment

• rompower
                                          • May 2008

Did you compare the htm1d to htm2d before purchasing?? If yes, any comments? I allready own a htm2d but well.. had a good price for the htm1 I don't have the chance to do a comparison

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

I had both and the htm1d is awesome, no comparison

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Mark-n-b
                                              That TV - is it the KDL-46X3500?
                                              Its the Sony European model 52 inch Bravia

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • May 2005

If anyone in Europe is searching for a htm1d cherrywood I know someone selling theirs.

PM me if you want to know more

Comment

• rompower
                                                  • May 2008

thanks Misterdoggy for the info on Audiogon... I just drove 12 hours to get one ;D He didn't want to ship in canada so... Had to do the trip =)

Anxious to get home to unpack and listen to it DDD

For folks, NO I am not crazy to drive 24 hours... In canada, htm1d is 12K, so.. I saved like 6K for 24 hours =) eheh

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2005

thanks Misterdoggy for the info on Audiogon... I just drove 12 hours to get one ;D He didn't want to ship in canada so... Had to do the trip =)

Anxious to get home to unpack and listen to it DDD

For folks, NO I am not crazy to drive 24 hours... In canada, htm1d is 12K, so.. I saved like 6K for 24 hours =) eheh
                                                    Glad you got it. That means there is still another as he had 2 or 3 to sell.

There is also a friend of mine selling one in Europe for an interesting price for Europeans in perfect condition

PM me if you want more info

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                      • Mar 2005

Misterdoggy, my wife is mad at you and my local B&W dealer (known on this site)... I just ordered a HTM1D to replace my HTM2D : )... I have 800Ds in the front and 802Ns in the rear. After reading this forum, and talking to my B&W dealer. I am trading in my HTM2D for the big one... Can't wait! Pictures will be added once I get the new HTM1D. Here's a before shot.
                                                      Attached Files
                                                      Last edited by SRT-10 Viper; 03 July 2008, 10:54 Thursday. Reason: add photo

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • May 2005

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
                                                        Misterdoggy, my wife is mad at you and my local B&W dealer (known on this site)... I just ordered a HTM1D to replace my HTM2D : )... I have 800Ds in the front and 802Ns in the rear. After reading this forum, and talking to my B&W dealer. I am trading in my HTM2D for the big one... Can't wait! Pictures will be added once I get the new HTM1D. Here's a before shot.
                                                        Did you see the one for sale on Audiogon for $5400 in perfect condition black. You might save some $$

Sorry your wife can call my wife and form a wife forum against Hifi spending

Then we can read what they really have to say :rofl: :rofl:

Are you going to put it on the cabinet just under your screen. Where will all the components go then. Its one huge mother. It is the mother of all center speakers.

Comment

• rompower
                                                          • May 2008

Mister, I just bring it home...3rd floor... hol.... IT'S HUGE! My arms are still shaking! lol Break time! :P
                                                          Still in the box... open though, can't resist to take a look at it.. OKOK i'm starring at it
                                                          But before unpacking, I have to build a step to put it on and.. amp/pro under it...
                                                          SRT-viper, take the one on audiogon, I took mine there... Perfect condition! with spikes!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • May 2005

Mister, I just bring it home...3rd floor... hol.... IT'S HUGE! My arms are still shaking! lol Break time! :P
                                                            Still in the box... open though, can't resist to take a look at it.. OKOK i'm starring at it
                                                            But before unpacking, I have to build a step to put it on and.. amp/pro under it...
                                                            SRT-viper, take the one on audiogon, I took mine there... Perfect condition! with spikes!
                                                            Rom,

I am happy that I hooked you up with that sale. It sounded like the right deal. Unfortunately I paid full price for mine in the states, or I probably would have jumped on the bandwagon.

Putting on the feet of the htm1d is the biggest challenge. Its a good time to have a few big friends. Real big friends :T :T

Comment

• rompower
                                                              • May 2008

Done unpacking and spiking it (all alone!)

I attached two pics to show a little comparison between a pepsi 355ml and a shoe...
                                                              and.. well.. the Spike itself... which is.. huge! eheh
                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• rompower
                                                                • May 2008

File was too big
                                                                Attached Files

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Very cool rompower, this thing is huge. How big is your room? It is going to shake the walls and the neighbors :rofl:. Be ready to see the cops at your door!

Personally I prefer three speakers all the same in front, better sound. I had tried putting the HTMD1 beast with my two 802D but preferred the sound of the three 802Ds.

Now my next upgrade is three 800D but I will wait until the next release

ENJOY you will see sudently movies become so more transparent. If high is an issue, the other idea would be three HTMD1 in front then you could rock!

Comment

• rompower
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2008

room is... really small at the moment :P
                                                                    My house is in construction right now so...
                                                                    but room size will be big enough
                                                                    17' front, 19' back, 23' deep, (22.5 x 23) and 10' high (9,5 (front)x10' (back))
                                                                    2x802d, htm1d, 803D back ...

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

room is... really small at the moment :P
                                                                      My house is in construction right now so... but room size will be big enough 17' front, 19' back, 23' deep, (22.5 x 23) and 10' high (9,5 (front)x10' (back)) 2x802d, htm1d, 803D back ...
                                                                      Non parallel walls I love it the acoustics will be fantastic!! I am envious ;x(

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2005

Rompower,

Congrats, It looks beautiful in Black. Mine is natural cherry. Actually I prefer the htm1d to the sound of the 802D's as it has more bass umph. It has 3 bass speakers while the 802D has 2. Also I think the marlan head is larger and mid is slightly larger.

At the right height it rocks. Also angling is very important that the aim of the tweeter goes to your sitting height.

The guy you bought it from had 3 htm1d's and is now changing as that did not work for him therefore why he is selling.

Next step is the 800D's for L & R and all the marlan heads will be the same. You would have to have a screen very high to have 3 x 802D's and that would never be my choice Wettou.

But that's what makes the world go round, different choices for different people. There is no 1 solution that works, there is the choice of your solution that works for you.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005

Misterdoggy, I am trading the HTM2D for a new one and wanted to go Cherry to match my 800Ds. I plan to go with a Synergy 12 inch high 3 door wide cabinet which will lower the HTM1D to about where my current setup is with the HTM2D (actually will be about 2 inches higher). I am also adding a 30 inch high Synergy for some of my additional components that will go in the left corner of the room. Look forward to the new addition and will add pictures when I get it in the next couple weeks.
                                                                          Last edited by SRT-10 Viper; 04 July 2008, 08:42 Friday.

Comment

• rompower
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2008
                                                                            • 241

Marlan head's dimension is the same on all 800's speaker.
                                                                            (just measured the 802d vs htm1d)

Now.. I'm thinking about keeping my htm2d to put is as center back... But.. don't have anymore amp to put on ;P I'm stud! eheheh

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2005
                                                                              • 1418

#83
                                                                              Marlan head's dimension is the same on all 800's speaker.
                                                                              they seem to have the same size mid range speaker, but for some reason the marlan head looks bigger on the htm1d

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2005
                                                                                • 1418

#84
                                                                                Misterdoggy, I am trading the HTM2D for a new one and wanted to go Cherry to match my 800Ds. I plan to go with a Synergy 12 inch high 3 door wide cabinet which will lower the HTM1D to about where my current setup is with the HTM2D (actually will be about 2 inches higher). I am also adding a 30 inch high Synergy for some of my additional components that will go in the left corner of the room. Look forward to the new addition and will add pictures when I get it in the next couple weeks.
                                                                                Sounds like a good plan...

I also have the natural cherry wood. Otherwise I like the piano lacquer black which is stunning. Natural Cherry for a Natural man.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 3139

#85
                                                                                  ... I just ordered a HTM1D to replace my HTM2D : )...
                                                                                  Viper,

I recall reading not long ago that you were contemplating a move away from the B&W family. With the addition of the HTM1D I take it you have reconsidered. What changed your mind? Why the doubts in the first place?

I'm curious because you mentioned a few years ago that the 800D were it, no more upgrades. Hence, maybe, you can understand my surprise to have seen you rethinking that decision so soon. It's nice to see that you'll be sticking around a while longer and I look forward to the pics. :T
                                                                                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3139

#86
                                                                                    I also have the natural cherry wood. Otherwise I like the piano lacquer black which is stunning. Natural Cherry for a Natural man.
                                                                                    Ditto! :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

#87
                                                                                      they seem to have the same size mid range speaker, but for some reason the marlan head looks bigger on the htm1d
                                                                                      I think the illusion comes from to the size and appearance of the leather wrap that the head rests on.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2005
                                                                                        • 1418

#88
                                                                                        Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                        I think the illusion comes from to the size and appearance of the leather wrap that the head rests on.
                                                                                        An optical illusion, it really does look bigger

Good to know they are all the same

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 253

#89
                                                                                          Rebelman, I have really gotten into HT more...In the above picture, you can see I have added 110 inch pull down screen. The HTM2D didn't sound up to the level of the 800Ds (left me wanting better dialouge in movies) so I decided to change that based on all the discussion here and because of my increased desire for HT... With this new investment, I'm staying : ). I've also spent enough time listening to other systems (Meridian 7000s, Wilson MAX IIs) and while each has a unique and great sound, I never walked away saying I need to change.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 3139

#90
                                                                                            Rebelman, I have really gotten into HT more...In the above picture, you can see I have added 110 inch pull down screen. The HTM2D didn't sound up to the level of the 800Ds (left me wanting better dialouge in movies) so I decided to change that based on all the discussion here and because of my increased desire for HT... With this new investment, I'm staying : ). I've also spent enough time listening to other systems (Meridian 7000s, Wilson MAX IIs) and while each has a unique and great sound, I never walked away saying I need to change.
                                                                                            Thanks for the explanation. I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade your center. My HTM3S which is not too far removed from the HTM2D was a terrible match with the 800D. As you may know I have been running a phantom center instead. I am making plans for a new room to move the system into. Until then I have been holding off getting the HTM1D, I don't want to move that thing twice. It is literally the perfect match to the 800Ds', right down the crossover network. BTW, I did notice the new screen and I also noticed that you have been busy dressing up the room with new colors too. Nice.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"