X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frankster72
    • Feb 2008

XT4 / PV1 setup advice needed

Hi there,

lately I got my fixed surround rotel rsp-1069 preamp back. big improvement to sound!

but right now I'm trying to find the best setup for the XT4 speakers in combintion with the PV1 sub. the sub is placed right at one of the front speakers. my amp is a rotel rmb-1077 (7x100 watt)

first I tried to connect the pv1 using the high current amp outputs and set the frequenz to 60hz.

pv1 was fitting perfectly to the sound of the xt4. but the I tried something complete different. just using a chinch cable to connect the pv1. and controlling the pv1 cutoff by the preamp!

when I set the cutoff between xt4 and pv1 to 150hz, the xt4 sound improved alot. mids are way more clear then before and it sounds more dynamic. but then you can clearly hear out the subwoofer. the frequ. response for the lows doesn't seem so linear any more....

what would you suggest to try? or is the point that the 100 watt of the amp per channel are not sufficient as for the xt4 as many claim here in the forum?

any suggestions how to setup xt4 and pv1 for optimum stereo?

br,
    frank
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

Hi Frank. As you have pointed out if you set the crossover too high you'll localize the sub. I have mine set at 60 but that doesn't mean that your room acoustics will work with that setting, I'd try 80Hz which the setting I have my XT2's. IMO your troubles are still best explained by too little power for the XT4. Of course, dimminishing the amount of work your XT4's place on the amp by diverting to the sub will improve sound, but I still think that your system would benefit even more from a dedicated amp for your XT4's. A good dedicated stereo amp (around 1k US) will transform your XT4's (and your whole system). In my expirience, aside from the most powerful multichannel amps, none can drive the Xt4 and surrounds satisfactorily. The XT4 is simply a very, very tough drive, however when backed up with what they require they are very revealing indeed. :T

One more thing! Have you tried the bungs? Since my xt4's are right up against the wall they have been very effective in "cleaning up" the less than satisfactory lower midrange "muddiness", try different combinations of bungs and frequency cutoff. In my setup I use only one pair.

Comment

• Frankster72
      • Feb 2008

hmm, it really seems the xt4 requires more power....
      i might ask my dealer to borrow me one of his 1092 on display. or I gonna try my old but good luxman m03 (2x500watt) power amp.
      anyway, so you just use the chinch cable for the pv1?
      have you set your mains to large or small?

no, haven't used bungs. when I set at my couch base is a bit week. when I lean back my head 30 cm, it is much fuller by room acustics. but i can't change the couch.

but anyway, sound improved so much till I can use my rsp-1069. I just read some adionet map 2 review. ppl said that the sound improved dramatically by using the map 2 over a rotel 1098....

maybe this is also something to invest - what do you think?

Comment

• WI Rotel
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Frankster72
        hmm, it really seems the xt4 requires more power....
        i might ask my dealer to borrow me one of his 1092 on display. or I gonna try my old but good luxman m03 (2x500watt) power amp.
        anyway, so you just use the chinch cable for the pv1?
        have you set your mains to large or small?

no, haven't used bungs. when I set at my couch base is a bit week. when I lean back my head 30 cm, it is much fuller by room acustics. but i can't change the couch.

but anyway, sound improved so much till I can use my rsp-1069. I just read some adionet map 2 review. ppl said that the sound improved dramatically by using the map 2 over a rotel 1098....

maybe this is also something to invest - what do you think?
        I'm sorry but I dont know what you mean by the cinch cable. Im guessing you mean the RCA input connection, if that is so, that is what I do. As you, I simply connect my subs to the sub 1 & sub 2 connections of my preamp and set the crossovers in the preamp. I don't think you have to go power crazy to drive them, a good 125-200 watt stereo amp just for them should do. Remember its not a question of watts but rather of impedance, the more speakers you have connected to a single amp the more difficult the impedance demands on the power supply, given that the XT4 is tough by itself in a multi speaker system its enough to tax all but the most powerful power supplies. A good moderately powered amp should drive them just fine on their own I know you're not a fan of the 1080 so why not try a 1072?. It should match your 1077 dandily :T
        I can't comment on the map2 pre since I know nothing about it. Although Pre's are important, speaker/amp setup is by far the most important aspect of your setup. Once you get that fine tuned, then I would explore other "goods".

Comment

• Frankster72
          • Feb 2008

yes - I mean rca :-)
          yesterday found a setup working well with the crossover set to 150hz. but i'm still not satisfied completely. by theory the 1077 has 2 power supplies build in. in stereo one power supply is used for a stereo channel serving around 125 watt / 8 ohm.
          but I still have the impression that the 1092 sounds better with the xt4.

I really would like to try out some options. one would be the 1092. another one would be the audionet map 1 (map 2 is far to expensive to me). also I read that atoll got cheap and very good sounding stereo amps. unfortunately just 2x125 watts....

I also tried out different cables. some improve where changing to inakustik 1302 rca cables (chinch). the bass control improved alot using the inakustik 1202 black and white cable.

anyway, now the setup sounds ok - but still far away from excellent. but it seems that you are very pleased with your setup. what kind of music do you use to listen too in general?

br,
          frank

Comment

• WI Rotel
            • Jul 2006

yes - I mean rca :-)
            yesterday found a setup working well with the crossover set to 150hz. but i'm still not satisfied completely. by theory the 1077 has 2 power supplies build in. in stereo one power supply is used for a stereo channel serving around 125 watt / 8 ohm.
            but I still have the impression that the 1092 sounds better with the xt4.

I really would like to try out some options. one would be the 1092. another one would be the audionet map 1 (map 2 is far to expensive to me). also I read that atoll got cheap and very good sounding stereo amps. unfortunately just 2x125 watts....

I also tried out different cables. some improve where changing to inakustik 1302 rca cables (chinch). the bass control improved alot using the inakustik 1202 black and white cable.

anyway, now the setup sounds ok - but still far away from excellent. but it seems that you are very pleased with your setup. what kind of music do you use to listen too in general?

br,
            frank
            I listen to a variety of music from classical to pop, but my setup is mostly used for movies and games. One problem with revealing hardware is that crappy recordings simply grate your ears right away. Another is that all but the best stereo recordings sound lame when compared to most DVD encoded music, the difference in resolution and the fantastic addition of surround channels makes most stereo sound pretty piss poor in comparison. High resolution multichannel audio is a revelation but still only a fraction of what is available in the market.

Comment

• Frankster72
              • Feb 2008

depends - my other high end stereo let everything sound. also worse recordings will recreate the athmosphere of the poor recording room with the low ceiling :-)
              on most other stereo systems these recordings sound crappy.

anyway, I found now a good stereo setup for the xt4, setting the cossovers to 150hz. this seems for my usage supperior to 60hz.

but I wanna do some tests with high current pv1 connection, full range xt4 and bungs

Comment

• WI Rotel
                • Jul 2006

depends - my other high end stereo let everything sound. also worse recordings will recreate the athmosphere of the poor recording room with the low ceiling :-)
                on most other stereo systems these recordings sound crappy.

anyway, I found now a good stereo setup for the xt4, setting the cossovers to 150hz. this seems for my usage supperior to 60hz.

but I wanna do some tests with high current pv1 connection, full range xt4 and bungs
                Enjoy!

Comment

• lvhung
                  • Jun 2005

Sorry Frankster 72
                  What the reason your 1069 need a repair ?

Comment

• Frankster72
                    • Feb 2008

hi ivhung,

when I connected my htpc to the 1069, the picture got a green color shift. also problems playing 24p and somtimes hdcp does not work through the 1069. they made a softw. update. some things went better. but the color shift is still there...
                    also tried with different grafic cards for the htpc - same problem. it seems that the bypass board is just offert for us customers.

right now the service guy tries to get me a bypass board installed...

br,
                    frank

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"