X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashbury415
    • Jun 2007

AV receiver suggestion for B&W XT4s?

I just bought a new pair of B&W XT4 and PV1 subwoofer (oringally was thinking of getting only the CM1/CM7). I have been enjoying listening to the exceptional wide soundstage and tight base even with my old Sony STR-G3 receiver. The glossy black design of the speakers also look fantastic with Sony's XBR LCD. Very happy with the B&W!

Per my local dealer's recommendation, I'm waiting to replace my current receiver with Rotel's upcoming RSX-1058 75wx5, 7.1 surround receiver. Since Rotel has not released the receiver for order (sometime in mid June) and there seems to be mixed reviews, I am wondering if I should look at other receivers or separates? I would like to keep under $3000. Much thanks for helping a newbie out!
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ashbury415
    I just bought a new pair of B&W XT4 and PV1 subwoofer (oringally was thinking of getting only the CM1/CM7). I have been enjoying listening to the exceptional wide soundstage and tight base even with my old Sony STR-G3 receiver. The glossy black design of the speakers also look fantastic with Sony's XBR LCD. Very happy with the B&W!

Per my local dealer's recommendation, I'm waiting to replace my current receiver with Rotel's upcoming RSX-1058 75wx5, 7.1 surround receiver. Since Rotel has not released the receiver for order (sometime in mid June) and there seems to be mixed reviews, I am wondering if I should look at other receivers or separates? I would like to keep under $3000. Much thanks for helping a newbie out!
    You may not want to here this, but the RSX 1058 will not be enough to properly power your speakers. This is not about listening to laud levels or not, its about making your speakers sound well at any sound level, and the 1058 wont do it.

I would say 3k would get you a 1075/1068 combo...no? Maybe someone can give us a hint as to when the ICE power RSX 1067 replacement will come. That may be a reciever that will work if you dont want to go with seperates.

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

I think the RSX-1058 will run those speakers very well. Something like the RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 will do a better job of controlling the bass & mid-bass of the XT4's if you want to go to seperates. It would depend on your system reqirements of HDMI switching to decide between the two. The RSX-1058 would work as a preamp for upgrading to better amps later as well. You could even get the RSX-1058 and an RB-1080 for $3000.00 US and have plenty of power for XT4's and have a 7.1 system or use a pair of amps in the RSX-1058 for a second zone.

Eric

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

he RSX-1058 will run them, almost any amp will, but you'll be missing out on what these speakers can really do. If you really want to hear those speakers
        perform, I think you'll need at least 200W to get the dynamics they are capable of.

I lived with the XT4 for a year, drove them with a RB980 (120W) then had a chance to put a Classe CA-201 on them..BIG DIFFERENCE.
        Greg

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

Do not run the XT's with a 75watt receiver!!! I tried to run a full XT system with a 1067 (100RMS) and it was totally inadequate to drive them. The XT's are a very difficult drive, the receiver would simply shut down after driving them loudly for any amount of time . An RMB 1075 125 watt amp is the bare minimum, note that the RMB is a very high current power amp. I don't think that any 125 watt reciever can drive them satisfactorily either since the issue with the XT is not wattage but current. When driven loud (where they perform their best) resistance drops easily below 3 Ohms. There are no receivers (except some very, very expensive ones) that have such current capacity. An RMB 1075 with a 1068 processor would be a very good match. I drive them with an RMB 1095 and they sound stunning.

Comment

• WI Rotel
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by GregLett
            he RSX-1058 will run them, almost any amp will, but you'll be missing out on what these speakers can really do. If you really want to hear those speakers
            perform, I think you'll need at least 200W to get the dynamics they are capable of.

I lived with the XT4 for a year, drove them with a RB980 (120W) then had a chance to put a Classe CA-201 on them..BIG DIFFERENCE.
            Probably HUGE difference :T

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

I always try to shoot for the higher range of the recommended wattage. So I would say 125 Watts Minimum...

It is always better to have extra power and lots of over head than to drive the amp hard....
              -Joe

Comment

• ashbury415
                • Jun 2007

Much thanks for your thoughts! This is truly an awesome site. Now I'm more familiar navigating through the forum, I have been reading up on similar post, particularly "XT Series Setup Questions" from Dankz. Xt4 reviews also pointed out that they need extra power; I thought the recommend RSX 1058 may seem not to have enough power. I'm glad to read the similar opinions from the experts.

So I'm looking more at having separates. However, ideally, i would love to keep the components as few as possible. I'm thinking of replacing my current system with:

Source: Rotel RCD 1072 and choosing between RDV 1092/Denon 3930ci
                Multi channel amps: Rotel RMB 1077 (would it work? the size is extremely attractive), RMB 1095 or RMB 1075

What should I use for Pre-amp/surround processor, if I want to have HDMI connection?

Comment

• akhter
                  • Jun 2005

My recommendation will be the Arcam AVR350. Its about $2700, and in 2ch mode delivers 140wpc, which should be fine for the XT4. I have the older Arcam AVR300 (same as the new one minus HDMI) and I use it to drive the XTC center and N804 mains. Bass is a bit thin due to lack of power, but since you have a sub, it won't be an issue (I use the Velo DD12). I know the Rotel 1057, which is a fine sounding receiver, but totally underpowered imho.

Arcam also has an AVP700 which is and AVR350 minus the amps for about $2000. You can mate that to and Arcam P1000 7ch amp.

Comment

• GregLett
                    • May 2005

Much thanks for your thoughts! This is truly an awesome site. Now I'm more familiar navigating through the forum, I have been reading up on similar post, particularly "XT Series Setup Questions" from Dankz. Xt4 reviews also pointed out that they need extra power; I thought the recommend RSX 1058 may seem not to have enough power. I'm glad to read the similar opinions from the experts.

So I'm looking more at having separates. However, ideally, i would love to keep the components as few as possible. I'm thinking of replacing my current system with:

Multi channel amps: Rotel RMB 1077 (would it work? the size is extremely attractive), RMB 1095 or RMB 1075

What should I use for Pre-amp/surround processor, if I want to have HDMI connection?

I would go for the 1095 That will make the XT's sing :T
                    Greg

Comment

• linuxtx
                      • Apr 2007

You might consider a reasonable receiver for HT which has the features you want and pre outs. Then add something like an RB-1080 to drive the XT4s, and use the receivers amps for everything else. I do something similar with my N804 setup and have been happy.

Comment

• GregLett
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by linuxtx
                        You might consider a reasonable receiver for HT which has the features you want and pre outs. Then add something like an RB-1080 to drive the XT4s, and use the receivers amps for everything else. I do something similar with my N804 setup and have been happy.
                        Good idea.. Good idea keeps the cost down, and still get the power.
                        Greg

Comment

• Nolan B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2005

Go with the RCD 1072, skip the SD DVD players and get an HD DVD player XA2.

The RMB 1077 will do a great job driving the XT4s. Much better then the RMB will, and I'm guessing it will be on par with the 1095.

We are waiting for the sepcs of the 1058 from rotel which may handle HDMI and specs should be available very soon.
                          IMHO

Comment

• WI Rotel
                            • Jul 2006

A 1075 and a 1095 would be excellent choices, the 1095, as you must be aware, is huge and heavy but drives them magnificently. I have no expirience with the 1077 but "supposedly" it has very good current capacity. If you are not ever considering a surround system it is probably stout enough, however, I would definitely thoroughly test it if you are planning an XT surround system since the XT2 and XTC are just as inefficient and hard to drive as the XT4. My 1067 drove the Xt4 in stereo fine but, 5 speaker surround was definitely out of its capabilities. If you are very interested in the 1077 just talk to your dealer and make sure that he will let you trade the amp within a month or so if your not satisfied with its performance.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007

If you want to stay within the aforementioned $3000.00 US price range then I still recommend the RSX-1058 and an RB-1080. The RSX-1058 will run the center and rear speakers very well if they are set to small and it will give you the HDMI switching you want now. It would be the easiest to sell later to upgrade to full separates when more are available with HDMI capabilities.

As for sources, it's a close call between the RDV-1092 and DVD-3930CI. I think the Rotel is a better sounding CD player if you use the analog outputs. Video is very close between the two. I like the Rotel better and one of the guys I work with likes the Denon better. Go figure. Purchasing two units, like the two Vancouver suggested, means more space, more cables, and a little more complexity.

Let us know what you decide and have fun picking it out.

Eric

Comment

• lvhung
                                • Jun 2005

buy rotel 1057 first and then Rotel 1095 :P :T

Comment

• ashbury415
                                  • Jun 2007

Here is an update on my post. I'm sure you all know that waiting time is painful. June came and went, there is no sight of Rotel's RSX-1058. Although last week my dealer showed me the 2007 Rotel catalogue listing the RSX-1058, Rotel cannot take the order due to finalizing the HDMI stuff.

Since then, I bought the 1072 CD player and upgraded my interconnect cables. In the meantime, my old sony receiver is bidding me farewell by going into protections and creating annoying interruptions. My nice dealer loaned me a yamaha receiver rated at 130w per channel to tie me through my wait. I was not satisfied because the XT4 in his showroom sounded better than mine at home and the yamaha's features were just overwhelming.

After those sleepless nights (jk), I realize what I really want is to have excellent music at the end of the day instead of knowing the recreated sound will mimic those of Vienna Concert Hall or NYC central park. Therefore, instead of waiting the 1058, I ordered Rotel's RB 1092 with 500W per channel (can't believe the size of this amp) and a RC 1082 preamp to drive my XT4s. I figure when I want to go back to surround I can get a 1091 for my center speaker and change the preamp to a receiver (once they have truly figure things out). Finally, my wallet is lighter, and more importantly I can sleep knowing next week I will the music in my ears.

Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

• Nolan B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2005

uhhh...yea. THe 1092 should drive the XT4s just fine!

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

B&Ws love big amps. I tried a 200w Krell integrated in place of my 100w dedicated power amp into my 804s. Suddenly I had no interest in a sub - sounded much better -tight powerful controlled cleaner - very nice thank you.
                                      Now all I have to do is save up for an amp over 200w with high current - got a few ideas but I'm in no hurry - no more cash for toys this year - darn!
                                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• akhter
                                        • Jun 2005

Arcam AVR350 all the way

Comment

• bigburner
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

Therefore, instead of waiting the 1058, I ordered Rotel's RB 1092 with 500W per channel (can't believe the size of this amp) and a RC 1082 preamp to drive my XT4s.
                                          Please report back and tell us how the new setup sounds.

Comment

• ashbury415
                                            • Jun 2007

So it's been more than 6 months since my last post. I think I have broken-in the XT4s and PV1 with 1092. The sound is simply beautiful and very balanced, exactly what I was hoping for. The system produces tight and responsive base, great mid range with tons of details and extreme clarity at higher notes. Even using as 2-channel for watching movies, the sound effect is decent, particular the voices are great.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy listening to the new system. At any volume, no details seem to be missing. The sound field is expansive! I must warn that you must resist turning up that volume dial since you know these slender black beauties with a full 500W can rock! PV1 is so responsive, taking sometime to get used to. The base from PV1 seems to be exactly complimenting the XT4, never overwhelm the main speakers.

Only thing I don't like is the remote on the pre-amp 1082 where the volume control is anything but precise. When I try to increase the volume right after a first increment, the volume automatically goes to mid dial (pointing at 12 o'clock position) creating a huge volume increase. Does anyone have the same problem? I wish the remote has a dial-like control or with much precision.

Comment

• bigburner
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

Only thing I don't like is the remote on the pre-amp 1082 where the volume control is anything but precise. When I try to increase the volume right after a first increment, the volume automatically goes to mid dial (pointing at 12 o'clock position) creating a huge volume increase. Does anyone have the same problem? I wish the remote has a dial-like control or with much precision.
                                              The remote control for my RC-1082 definitely does NOT do that. The increase and decrease in volume comes in small increments, which I find perfect for obtaining just the right volume.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"