X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

B&W FPM 6s vs XT4s

I currently have a full FPM set up with B&W PV1 sub powered by a rotel rsx 1067. I have to admit its a sweet sound system. As many of you know regardless of how good your system sounds, and with out even hearing something better you always think of ways to improve.

I called my dealer and inquired about uprading my 2 channel listening. At first I asked if I should buy a Classe 2100 2 channel amp and he said while I would hear an improvement my speakers aren't "good enough" the realize the full potential of Classe and I wouldnt get my 5k worth.

Space is an issue and currently my setup is in a high traffic area so things need to look as good as they sound, so I then asked about "upgrading" to XT4s. At pretty much the same price of the FPM 6s I said if they were better I would pay what ever was needed if the change was an actual upgrade. He said that in his opinion the FPM 6s with a PV1 is a better comdo then the XT4s. I was pretty surprised becuase he is a sales guy and just talked me out of two sales, and I would have thought the XT4s were a better speaker.

I will go give them a listen myself, and as much as I doubt any of you have done the comparison what are your thoughts on this?
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

He's right... the Classe 2100 is overkill. Can you give us more info on your listening area and what requirements you have (appearance and size) for speakers? 2 or 5.1 channel? Etc?

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by grit
      He's right... the Classe 2100 is overkill. Can you give us more info on your listening area and what requirements you have (appearance and size) for speakers? 2 or 5.1 channel? Etc?
      thanks for the reply. I have and want 5.1 and really just want to get the most out of 2 channel. Right now it sounds great in 2 channel, but I know it can sound better. I am not after extra base, or extra volume.

The listening area has pretty good accustics, no echos etc.

The size of the room is 15 feet wide, by 20-25 feet deep. The listening position is right in the center of the room.

It could very well be that the current FPM 6 with PV1 is about as good as I can get without making a major upgrade on both the amp, speakers and room.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Lestat
        • Nov 2005

IMO the XT4's are in a different class from the FPM6's, and so is the price, at least where I live. (The retail price is about 2/3rd's of the XT4's).
        The sound is much wider and fuller with the XT4's, plus the frequency range is greater.

The Classé might still be overkill, I've never heard it personally so I couldn't say.

L.

Comment

• worldys
          • Dec 2005

i had a 2100 for a while, it was very clean and refined if a bit sedate in my opinion, it is nice and compact if space is an issue, i was using n803's at the time, ended up going back to a 301 because i purchased n802's and wanted more juice

wasn't real impressesed with the xt series, i agree it isn't a sig. upgrade from the fpm, if you want to stay in the b&w line, i say go for a pair of 804S if your space will allow

s

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
            One off subject comment. Man, you really should consider doing some acoustic treatment to that beautiful room. No speaker will do well in there assuming the pictures are accurate and show what is typical of the whole room.

Sparky

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

Sparky beat me to it. I think you've done a beautiful job with decorating. My concern is that the large, flat spaces on the walls (including the brick wall) will cause sound reflections and interfere with any speaker's ability to reproduce clean sound.

I also agree with Sparky's speaker choice - B&W 804's would be where I'd head for a musical upgrade, If you prefer, you could go with 805's on a stand, but at that point, the footprint of the stand is almost the same as the 804, but without the bottom end. At $4k (US), the 804's are a great deal.

Originally posted by worldys
              i had a 2100 for a while, it was very clean and refined if a bit sedate in my opinion, it is nice and compact if space is an issue, i was using n803's at the time, ended up going back to a 301 because i purchased n802's and wanted more juice

wasn't real impressesed with the xt series, i agree it isn't a sig. upgrade from the fpm, if you want to stay in the b&w line, i say go for a pair of 804S if your space will allow
              s
              I've heard the same about Classe (never had a chance to A/B it vs Krell, etc.) It is beautifully detailed and has a wonderful sound. Unfortunately, I was listening to a 100 wpc 2100 on some difficult-to-drive speakers (need at least 200 wpc), so I can't really comment on whether it sounded sedate, subdued, sublte, etc. However, other people I trust (my dealer, who purchased a Classe 5200) does believe they have "less kick" and are not as "fast" as Krell. Hope that helps.

Comment

• alpina
                • Nov 2005

how did you go vancouver with your decision?

cheers,

julie
                My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"