X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonnyz
    • Dec 2007

Ayre and B&W...anyone heard this combo?

after a week-end with the 803D's I am still thinking about a pre/amp combo for 2 channel.

There is a premier Mcintosh dealer a few blocks from where I live so I stopped in yesterday and chatted the owner up. I told him about the combo I listened to and was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the 402/220 combo when he sat me down and had me listen to an Ayre/Dynaudio setup that was stunning. After a week of Classe/Mac/Musical Fidelity on the 803D I had decided to go with the Mac. This dealer has been a Mac dealer for 25 years with his dad(not at this location) He has Nac in his own system but really thought I should take home a Ayre system for an in home demo and see what I think. He is convinced I will will like what I hear. He thinks that the Ayre is the best built/sounding thing on the market today in terms of resolution/musicality and was pretty much trying to talk me out of the Mac!!

Obviously, my ears have to do the deciding and he said as much but he really thought this would be a fantastic setup for the D's.

For what its worth, price was a fair amount less on the Ayre combo so I don't think $ was motivating...

decisions, decisions
  • joetama
    • May 2006

I have always been pretty impressed with Ayre Equipment that I have heard.

But, I have never heard it on B&W speakers.
    -Joe

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I remember reading somewhere on this forum someone using Ayra with a pair of 703 or 704. Try searching for the two and maybe you can contact the member.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I compared Ayre to Classe. IMO, Classe was better. You said you like Mac better than Classe, so Mac would be better than Ayre.

Of course, I don't like Mac, and you do, so two different people, two different opinions. Take him up on the home demo. You're spending a lot of money. No reason not to give it a shot.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

B&W 800's Better with Ayre or Classe'?

FWIW, Ayre has been demoing their best electronics, the new KX-R pre-amplifier and MX-R monoblocks, (which I have heard) with the TAD-R1s. They are no longer pairing with the WP8s as I wrote about in my article and have since heard. I find it interesting that Ayre is still trying to find the optimal home for its electronics. Classe' needn't bother, they are already there. :B
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Greg Gale
            • Nov 2006

I have a Classe CA2200 and an Ayre K5XE preamp...

which I evaluated against an Ayre V1XE and a Bryston 14BSST in terms of power amps and the Classe CP500 pre-amp for over one week running N802's.

My audiophile freind was over for the comparisons and the combination that sounded best was the Classe CA2200 amp and the Ayre pre-amp. I really wanted to go for the CP500 to have matching units along with a built in phono stage option but at the end of the day I went with the Ayre pre-amp with CA2200 combo and have been extremely happy.

I purchased a Graham Slee Era Gold Phono Stage to go along with my Rega P25 with Dynavector cartridge and am pleased with this combo.
            Greg Gale

Main System:
            802 D2
            Classe CA2300
            Ayre K5XEMP
            Graham Slee Reflex M
            Esoteric X-05 SACD
            VPI Classic 3
            Dynavector X20x2
            Oppo BDP 95

Comment

• jonnyz
              • Dec 2007

Thanks guys for the input and Rebalman>>

Thank you for the in depth review/comparison. Very informative reading. Forums like this benefit from folks like you who take the time to sit down and really listen to the equipment involved and then take the time to write up a detailed summary.

I will reserve my opinion for after my in home review of the Ayre/Mac audtion. I will reread your review and take your points into the experiment. I will report back what I find. It will be a few weeks as I want to wait until my new rugs/furniture are in my home.

thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"