X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

B&W 800's Better with Ayre or Classe'?

There has been some personal interest in my recent visit with Ayre and Classe' that I thought I would share with the people here. It is a bit lengthy but I hope you find it a useful read just the same.

Purpose:

You are probably wondering why I would even bother to demo another brand so soon after purchasing a "state-of-the-art" Classe' Delta series (two-channel) system. Well, for the same reason why others with a passion for this hobby would do it, to see if I discovered musical nirvana over the hi-fi rainbow. Maybe you are also wondering if reaching the mythical goal is even possible. Well... if you stick to the strict meaning of the word then yes, I do believe it is possible to reach musical bliss. This leads us to the topic at hand and a question in search of an answer "Is Classe’ nirvana?"

Why compare with Ayre? Well, why not? Ayre has earned an admirable reputation in the hi-fi community and garnered a lot of attention of late primarily due to the release of their relatively new and highly acclaimed universal player the C-5xe. In addition, while many other high-end solid-state equipment manufacturers continue to invest in integrated circuitry and surface mount technology, Ayre has decided to take a throw back approach of employing mostly discrete devices in overly simplistic designs. I thought a match up between "old country" and "new territory" would make for some interesting revelations.

Setup:

This exercise has been the most laboriously involved and it has utilized the most controlled testing environment that I have conducted to date. I spent approximately 20 hours listening to both systems over a four day period. Each setup was configured to use the same speakers (B&W 803S's), the same speaker cables (Kimber Kable Monocle’s) in a non-bi-wired fashion, and in the same environment. Each component was joined using Kimber Kable HERO XLR (balanced) interconnects. Each system was metered to play at the same volumes which typically ranged from 66dB to 86dB (non-reference levels) from the listing position (12 feet away from the loudspeakers). Nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, else was altered in the system or within the surrounding environment other than moving the speaker cables to connect from one system to the other. The same music was played on both systems and listened to from the same location. The equipment used for this review was Ayre's C-5xe universal player and AX-7e integrated amplifier (the 1 and 5 series pre-amp and amp were unavailable for this review, comments to follow) and from the Classe' side was the CDP-202 CD player, CP-700 pre-amplifier and CA-400 monoblocks.

Build:

While I found both Ayre pieces to be solidly built I didn't care for the nut and bolt protrusions that graced their bellies. Furthermore, I am a detail freak. Apparently the guys at Ayre don't have an "eye" for detail which is unlike the guy's at camp Classe'. All three Classe' pieces shared similar exterior dimensions, utilized identical parts including screws, covers and chassis and were assembled to seamless perfection that included smooth surfaces which showcased the attention that was obviously paid to detail. If it weren't for the similar facial cosmetics shared between the two Ayre pieces one could think that they were made from two totally different companies. I also didn't care the tint Ayre used for their aluminum surfaces nor did I like the user interfaces and displays and somewhat clumsy remote controls. Classe' on the other hand was far more elegant in overall appearance having utilizing a good balance of blacks and brushed aluminum surfaces and, unlike Ayre, user interaction was intuitive and consistent across all three components. Sitting next to Classe' the Ayre looked faded and dated.

Sound:

I approached this review as I do every review. First, I take a macroscopic approach. I look for overall sound staging, dimensionality, imaging, tonal balance and dynamic range. Then from a microscopic point of view I focus on the performance of the individual drivers and the crossover network. I look for high level details and transparency, midband presence and clarity, and finally low level extension and impact.

First, a few comments about background noise and noise floor observations. I noticed that the AX-7e produced a low level hum that, in a quite room such as mine, was clearly audible a few feet away whether the unit was on or off (placed in standby). Neither of the two Classe’ mono’s I had made a hint of noise, they were dead silent. If it wasn’t for the blue light that said they were on I would have mistaken them for being complete powered off. On the other hand, the Ayre system exhibited virtually no or very little speaker noise, at normal volume levels (no signal was present) but the Classe’ system did. However, the noise was held at a constant level all the way through to about 90dB (readout from the display) before it began to increase. Unlike the Classe’ system, the speaker noise coming from the Ayre continued to increase linearly as volume increased. At normal listening levels the Ayre was much quieter than the Classe’ was but once reference volume levels were reached both systems produced the same amount of noise.

After both systems were calibrated to the proper volume levels I began my critique with the Ayre setup. My first impression of the Ayre system was a good one, very good in fact. I found it to perform well on most of the above criteria. Soundstage width and height were proportional, imaging was first rate and tonal balance and dynamic range was spot on. Upper frequency details and transparency were remarkable, midrange presence was immediate and open, and lower frequencies well extended. When it came time to put the Classe’ system through the same paces I wasn’t left with a similar overall first impression. In fact, I found the Ayre to sound more polished (keep reading).

Utilizing the same CDs from artists such as Norah Jones, Marc Antoine, Fourplay, David Benoit, Brain Culbertson, Paul Hardcastle, Euge Grove, Dave Koz, Norman Brown, and Fleetwood Mac, I went back and forth between each system playing the same tracks over and over and dissecting the strengths and weaknesses of each system with the hopes of differentiating one over the other during the four day tour. It was a sobering moment that first day to learn that a system one third the list price of another was performing at the top of its game. But as time went on things began to change. I became more acutely aware of the two systems personalities and I started to notice things that discourage me from one system and things that appealed to me with the other.

The Classe’ system initially demonstrated the same level of detail as did the Ayre but with a slight bit of acoustical mist that covered the overall presentation. This was readily apparent on Paul Hardcastle’s “Serene” which synthesizes the trickling of broken glass. Ayre was almost Bryston-esq in its transparency. The Classe’ system also lacked some clarity and “air” that was noticed in the Ayre system. Oddly, I didn’t recall either of these weaknesses coming from the Classe’ system before I started these battery of tests, leaving me little dumbfounded at this point. Continuing on, I noticed both systems delivered good bass extension, but again it was a bit puzzling that the Classe’ system didn’t break out at this point. How could it be that a 400 watt monoblock performed no better than a 60 watt integrated amplifier (there are technical reasons for this that I won’t get into here)? I also found midrange presence slightly more open and “alive” with the Ayre than I did with the Classe’.

It wasn’t until later, around the third day, that I realized what some of the discrepancies and shortcomings were attributed to. It turns out there were a few things that were working in favor for the Ayre system while simultaneously working against the Classe’ system. First, both Ayre pieces were fully broken in, none of the Classe’ pieces were even marginally broken in, less than 10 percent to put a figure on it. Most high-end audio equipment requires time to be run in because of the discrete components they use (the manufactures will also tell you so). Classe’ requires a minimum of 300 hours and Ayre up to 500 hours. Second, much of these tests were conducted at low listening volumes giving the Ayre a slight advantage because the demands placed on it were designed only to exercise the system’s acoustical ability, not its power handling capability. There were a few times when SPL’s reached 100dB but they were few and far between, because I needed to preserve my hearing for critical listening. Needless to say, the AX-7e had the guts (the current) to power my somewhat efficient speakers to loud levels when called upon to do so. Finally, the Classe’ system was not bi-wired to the 803S’s for the purposes of these tests because Ayre amplifiers do not support banana plugs and only have one set of binding posts to boot making it impossible (for me) to test both systems under bi-wire conditions. Assuming that none of these so called limitations existed in this experiment; wouldn’t the Ayre still be better? I doubt it. In fact, the Classe’ system that started out the gate somewhat slow came on strong towards the end and eventually broke past the leading contender.

Up to this point I stated all of the things the Ayre setup did well and all the things the Classe’ setup didn’t but this is about to change. By the end of the test period, I noticed that while the Classe’ system still hadn’t reached the level of transparency and clarity that the Ayre exhibited from the start it did improve. And once I was able to hook the speakers back up in a bi-wired configuration any advantages the Ayre possessed in this area were virtually gone. (Some people will argue the merits of bi-wiring speakers and in some cases it’s true that there is very little to no benefit. But such is not the case with the B&W’s. They are specifically designed to be bi-wired.) One could argue that if the Ayre’s could be bi-wired to the B&W’s that they would regain their upper-band advantage. Maybe, but what the Classe’ system lacked in clarity and transparency it more than made up for in resolution and velvety smoothness of character. Norah Jones vocals (as well as the piano notes) on most tracks from her “Come Fly Away With Me” CD produced a slightly screechy bite that pinched my ears when played back through the Ayre system but was completely absent when played through the Classe’ system. These observations eventually lead to the following discovery.

I found during the course of these tests something that grew more bothersome to me as time went on with the Ayre equipment. I noticed that prolonged listening sessions with Ayre was somewhat tiring and almost fatiguing. I didn’t notice this at all with Classe’ when driven to the same volumes nor when driven to reasonably higher volumes either. At this level of hi-fi I don’t believe the listener should be subjected to this kind of torture. A person should enjoy spending more time listening to their system and not be preoccupied with the thought that too much time will eventually induce too much whine. This more than any other weakness found listening to the Ayre was a major concern of mine. Perhaps the forward nature of the Ayre integrated amplifier was culprit or maybe the over revealing (over sampling and up sampling) behavior of the universal player is to blame, who knows. Nevertheless, this issue alone would be a deal breaker for me.

As good as the Ayre’s soundstaging was it lacked some depth. Classe’ still exhibits some of the best depth of soundstage I have heard to date. Dimensionality was also somewhat skewed with the Ayre setup. This was mostly apparent with tracks from Dave Koz’ “The Dance” CD where the instruments seemed out of place with respect to the rest of the ensemble. Analogous to these observations would be the difference between sitting with the band in a recording studio versus sitting with the audience in a music hall and listening to the band perform on stage. While I appreciated the musical reproduction of the Ayre system to sound more authentic (the way the music was recorded) the Classe’ system sounded more natural (the way the recording engineer intended for you to hear the music). I also found the Ayre system to be somewhat forward in vocal presentations and with solo instruments primarily involving pianos, acoustic guitars and saxophones. With different speakers I might have preferred this but given that the B&W’s are already somewhat forward I found the laid back nature of the Classe’ system more complimentary.

I hinted earlier that bass response from both parties was very good. I was actually surprised by the Ayre given the integrated amplifier’s specifications. Still, the Classe’ system is capable of doing more with larger and less efficient loudspeakers and when bi-wired its superior quickness and tautness shown through. But more importantly, the Classe’ system portrayed more warmth in the upper bass and lower midrange registers than the Ayre did despite the way the loudspeakers were connected and this was evident from Norman Brown’s bass guitar tracks on his “West Cost Coolin” CD.

As impressed as I was with Ayre’s performance from a reviewer’s perspective I was never really moved by it from a music lover’s point of view. It rendered delicate musical notes as its namesake would imply but it didn’t draw me in. I didn’t feel the music embrace me to the extent that the Classe’ system did. I played Dave Koz’s “You Are Me, I Am You” many times before and it sounded very good when played through the Ayre system but it didn’t give me goose bumps. The Classe’ system did and it was at that very moment when I knew where nirvana lived.

Conclusion:

Overall I was pleased with the results the Ayre delivered but not to the point where I could express a sigh of satisfaction like “Ahhhhh…this sounds is wonderful”. It was more like “Wow, this sounds good”. To me hearing the Ayre was like hearing a very good rendition of a musical performance but not the original presentation. Does this mean that Classe’ is better than Ayre? For this test group, and for me, it does. Once the Classe’ system has more burn in time the weakness pointed out earlier will no longer exist. But was it really a fair contest to begin with? Wouldn’t the K-5xe and V-5xe or better yet the K-1xe and V-1xe be a more appropriate comparison? Well… yes, of course. But these weren’t available for review. Furthermore, according to the Ayre Regional Sales man, the differences between them lie in improved (and I quote) “detail, transparency, warmth and slam”. Given that the Classe’ system is already warm and can deliver slam with ease; the only areas of concern would be left in the details and transparency. I believe the top flight Classe’ Delta series system would be up to the challenge once it was fully broken in but even if it falters in this particular area Ayre cannot match Classe’s strengths regarding overall presentation, dynamic fullness and lush refinement, Ayre’s shared design principles preclude this. Ayre’s top-of-the-line pre-amp and amp are just a more refined combination of their integrated. The overall sonic characteristics are going to be similar through out the product line. The same holds true for Classe’s own Delta series line. Additionally, as you go up their line the associated costs go up as well and then the decision becomes simply a matter of personal preference, sans any cost advantages.

Given that the C-5xe and AX-7e cost a fraction of the price that the CDP-202, CP-700 and CA-M400 do, would I find the former a better value than the latter? I definitely would. But then again this wasn’t a value based exercise. Again, once you factor in Ayre’s the top-of-the-line components any price advantages (value) to be had are quickly diminished. I was able to get a Classe’ system for much less than a comparable system from Ayre would have been possible. Couple this with my preferences for Classe’s look and feel, not to mention that their laid back sound blends better with the B&W's and the choice becomes very clear.

I could be happy living with either Ayre or Classe’ for their musical qualities alone but some concerns I had with Ayre, both in appearance and listening enjoyment, would have a major influence on my decision to choose one brand over the other, again cost not withstanding. In the end I have no regrets with the decision I made. Both systems truly constitute what high-end hi-fi is all about and I believe anyone would be proud to own either one, trade-offs and all.
    Last edited by RebelMan; 10 May 2006, 17:45 Wednesday.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

awesome review. I wish I had a classe dealer closer than 350 miles away. I don't understand why my local b&w dealers won't pick up the line. they carry lexicon, krell and bryston...

how would you compare bryston to the classe? i would love to get classe, but since i'd have to drive so far, im really concerned if i ever have issues and need warranty work done. I decided that their pre/pro is not the direction I'd like to go, but I would like the CA5100 for my surrounds and CA3200 for my fronts....eventually.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• philly boy
      • Jul 2005

Great expose' on these two fine systems. A few months ago I was looking to replace my Rotel RB1070 after I had pushed forward with a speaker upgrade to the Vandersteen 3A Signatures. I talked to my dealer about Krell, McIntosh, and Classe', the brands he carried. I was also interested in Bryston and had read many comments in various audio forums about how good a match the Ayre and Vandersteen speakers were. My dealer was familiar with the Vandersteens as he had previously carried them and recommended the Classe' for the musical performance that I was after. Where I live there are not many options and wanting to buy local, if I could, began focusing on the Classe'. I was very please with its dynamic abilities and sonic richness and therefore bought the Classe' CA-2200. Rebelman, you have described the Classe' very well in the above post and I am in full agreement about the burn-in time needed. After about a month, my sound became much more detailed, fuller, and the bass was much tighter and controlled. After two months the sound is still better still. It is a very good piece of equipment. Now, I need to improve a couple of other weak links, but that will come with time and money. -----Philip

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
        awesome review. I wish I had a classe dealer closer than 350 miles away. I don't understand why my local b&w dealers won't pick up the line. they carry lexicon, krell and bryston...

how would you compare bryston to the classe? i would love to get classe, but since i'd have to drive so far, im really concerned if i ever have issues and need warranty work done. I decided that their pre/pro is not the direction I'd like to go, but I would like the CA5100 for my surrounds and CA3200 for my fronts....eventually.
        Thanks sikoniko. Your dealers are not the only ones that carry Lexicon and Bryston but not Classe'. I know one dealer that does the same and when I asked him why he didn't carry Classe' (but he did carry Rotel and B&W) he said that the other product lines he was carring would be in contention with one another. My guess is that competition between two high-end products for the same customer base may not be good for business (between dealer and product distributor that is).

Bryston vs Classe'. That was the tough choice I had to make and it took me months to finally do it. I absolutely love the Bryston sound, product build quality, warranty and their audio philosophy. In fact I personally met James Tanner and raved to him about my respect for his company and their products. I also love the Classe' sound, product build quality, precision engineering and audio reputation. While I didn't meet any senior officers I did meet Andrew Ward and I was enlightened and impressed by the many efforts Classe' has done to attract big name product designers and engineers to develop the Delta Series line. ( Interesting that I would like two Canadian companies! )

While I am not prepared to give a long winded dissertation between Bryston and Classe' I can say that for the B&W 800 Series speakers Classe' delivered an overall presentation that was sweeter on top, richer in the middle, and smoother on the bottom. Bryston was very revealing on top (almost to a fault), natural and honest in the middle (adds very little personality of it's own), and very authoritative on the bottom (could get a little boomy).

As I discovered with Ayre, my concerns with Bryston was long term listening comfort. (Long term to me means about an hour or more.) My 803S's are somewhat bright and forward and the analytical nature of my Rotel gear means short listening sessions or low volumes, both mutually exlusive and undesired as far as I am concerned. While I find Rotel more troublesome in this area than I do with either Ayre or Bryston, Classe' does the best job of taming the B&W's without losing detail, transparency and fullness of sound. Classe' is just more musical sounding and pleasing to my ears. In other words, my sensative ears don't hurt when I am done listening to Classe', under the typical volumes I listen too which is between 76dB and 82dB (non-reference levels of course).

I think Bryston's SP2 is world class and as soon as they update their video switcher I believe they will have an unbeatable AV solution for music and movie lovers. Classe's SSP-600 is a great product too but I decided against it for a few reasons, mostly having to do with features,i.e., the lack thereof.

I am also considering the CA-3200 and the CA-5100 for HT. I still don't understand why they don't have a CA-3100 to choose from. :roll:

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Thanks for the pleasantries philly boy. By the way, I think your dealer gave you good advice to go with Classe'. I wasn't completely sold on the Ayre and Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures match up (when I heard them) either. I think Classe' would have been a better option too. Way to go! :T

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Extremely well written piece, RebelMan. Also a pleasure to read. :T

It be a truely wonderful experience to own something which came to be, after a well-worked-through decision making process ... as complete as is practically possible ... such as you have been through. My feel is that it is this road followed that represents the fun, appreciation and joy that this hobby brings.

I know that you are going to enjoy your Classe' ... so what I'd like to propose, if I may ... is that: May your enjoyment be huge and long lasting.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Rebel,
              Good job. I must ask why it took such extended listening to uncover the Ayre's irritating top end? Your comments seem to indicate a poor presentation that was painful to listen to. I know how this goes sometimes. It's difficult to separate two good pieces without exagerating our reactions. Did that happen here?

Sparky

Comment

• JKalman
                • Nov 2005

Interesting post. My conclusions based on testing Classe and Ayre were different. I ended up buying the K-1xe and have the MX-R monoblocks on order.

My personal opinion is that if you are having issues with an irritating top end on the Ayre equipment that you are not treating the test room appropriately. The irritation you are experiencing is likely a result of comb filtering due to room reverberation. Another possibility, the B&W non-diamond tweeter speakers are known for having an irritating top end, which could simply mean that the Ayre is revealing a weakness in your speaker. Knowing Classe is owned by the B&W group, it wouldn't be surprising that their amps are built to integrate well with all their 800 level speakers, possibly at the expense of high level detail.

To be fair, and as you mentioned, the Ayre's 5 series equipment is not their 1 series equipment, which is more meticulously constructed with better parts and better wire through their dedicated wiring paths from my understanding. The 1 series would be a better, fairer, comparison, e.g. - the K-1xe has its power supply housed outside the preamp box in a seperate box that can be placed approx. 5 feet away from all your other equipment, uses no extraneous electronics and uses silver wiring. On rereading the review, I noticed that you didn't even use the 5 series equipment besides the initial media sources. The 5 series equipment is still around half the price of the Classe equipment, let alone the 1 series equipment which is similarly priced to the Classe gear (at least amplifier wise). You used Ayre's integrated unit, which is significantly lower in price and in a different market. There really isn't any comparison, but you found them to be competitive with each other. Considering the price ratio differences that is actually a great compliment to Ayre, and should have led you to a conclusion that their higher end components likely out-class Classe at similar price points. For some reason, or lack thereof, you come to the exact opposite conclusion. The CA-400s are monoblocks, the CP-700 is a separate preamp piece, and the AX-7e is a fully integrated component - including the amp and preamp, all mashed into one box... Of course, you know this.

Which makes me wonder how you assume that:

Originally posted by RebelMan
                Again, once you factor in Ayre’s the top-of-the-line components any price advantages (value) to be had are quickly diminished. I was able to get a Classe’ system for much less than a comparable system from Ayre would have been possible.
                You admit you haven't tested Ayre's high end equipment, but you are willing to make them comparable. That is a lot to assume without including them in your test. I don't feel that is justifiable. I feel it is quite the opposite, Ayre is a much better deal for the money as you climb the price ladder. You compared equipment that is not even in comparable markets, found them competitive with each other, but then come to an unreasonable and faulty conclusion (the quote above). Ayre has a reputation in the audio community for offering competitive technologies without price gouging. It is fine for you to personally prefer one over the other. I personally prefer Ayre over Classe, much as I prefer my Lotus Elise to a Skyline GT, it is a question of finesse and handling. I think it is not a good thing to write a review/comparison of such disparate systems and apply those comparisons to whole product lines as if you can justly assume they sound exactly the same across the board. It is bad journalism IMO, and downright fallacious thinking.

That's my 2 cents worth...

Oh, I'm glad you like your new gear, don't let it influence your judgement faculties.

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                  Interesting post. My conclusions based on testing Classe and Ayre were different. I ended up buying the K-1xe and have the MX-R monoblocks on order.
                  The conditions of the room were the same for each system therefore the effects on each system were the same. Treatments would only serve to improve the room’s response by taming unwanted sound waves that are a result of reverberations, reflections and certain transients but those issues were not under scrutiny. Furthermore, near field evaluations of both systems minimized the indirect sound effects the room would have imposed.

If comb filtering was to blame for the irritating effects I observed then I would have noticed some coloring in the upper band from both systems but this was not the case. The non-diamond tweeters can be a little brash but whether this constitutes a revealing characteristic of the Ayre, or most likely a component mismatch, the effects were, nevertheless, unwelcome.

It has been my experience that most product families (virtually all that I have heard) possess similar acoustical characteristics throughout their entire line. The difference between the two extremes comes down to flexibility and refinement. If you haven’t exposed yourself to the AX-7e then we are essentially standing on opposite sides of the same bridge.

Comparing the sonic qualities of hifi systems based on price points alone is foolhardy. Many hifi pundits will argue the benefits affordable products have over their more expensive brethren. A Toyota is just as capable as a Lexus it only lacks some refinement and the prestige of not being the top of the line. The same principles apply here.

Classe’s own CAP-2100 integrated performs very well musically speaking and sounds distinctively Classe’ it’s just not as refined as the best they have to offer. The same rules apply to Ayre. It is your prerogative to mistakenly believe that the multiples it cost you to obtain the K-1xe and MX-R mono’s over their integrated will deliver an equal amount of sonic improvement. The reality is that it’s just not true; the so called “law of diminishing returns” wouldn’t exist if it were.

Comment

• JKalman
                    • Nov 2005

It has been my experience that most product families (virtually all that I have heard) possess similar acoustical characteristics throughout their entire line. The difference between the two extremes comes down to flexibility and refinement. If you haven’t exposed yourself to the AX-7e then we are essentially standing on opposite sides of the same bridge.
                    Actually I have heard the AX-7e...

The same rules apply to Ayre. It is your prerogative to believe that the multiples it cost you to obtain the K-1xe and MX-R mono’s over their integrated will deliver an equal amount of sonic improvement. The reality is that it’s just not true; the so called “law of diminishing returns” wouldn’t exist if it were.
                    I don't know what orifice you pulled that out of. I never said any such thing.

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                      Extremely well written piece, RebelMan. Also a pleasure to read. :T

It be a truely wonderful experience to own something which came to be, after a well-worked-through decision making process ... as complete as is practically possible ... such as you have been through. My feel is that it is this road followed that represents the fun, appreciation and joy that this hobby brings.

I know that you are going to enjoy your Classe' ... so what I'd like to propose, if I may ... is that: May your enjoyment be huge and long lasting.
                      Thanks Shadow. It took time to navigate the traitorous seas through the foggy nights. The ability to see the shinning star through the mist of the clouds kept me on track.

I cheerfully accept your proposal! :B

Comment

• JKalman
                        • Nov 2005

I think I see where the confusion arose.

You admit you haven't tested Ayre's high end equipment, but you are willing to make them comparable. That is a lot to assume without including them in your test. I don't feel that is justifiable. I feel it is quite the opposite, Ayre is a much better deal for the money as you climb the price ladder.
                        I was referring to Ayre in comparison to Classe with similarly priced gear as being, "a much better deal for the money as you climb the price ladder", i.e. - I feel you get more quality for your money from the Ayre gear than the Classe gear. As opposed to what I feel you implied, which is that Classe is a much better deal for the money.

Ultimately, it is all opinion and preference, and the sun also rises.

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                          HI Rebel,
                          Good job. I must ask why it took such extended listening to uncover the Ayre's irritating top end? Your comments seem to indicate a poor presentation that was painful to listen to. I know how this goes sometimes. It's difficult to separate two good pieces without exagerating our reactions. Did that happen here?

Sparky
                          Thanks Sparky. I didn’t want to be overzealous in this process. Our ownership of some brands can have a tendency to bias our opinions of others and I didn’t want that to happen here. I believe my review of Ayre and Classe’ was honest and fair, and in the end I preferred the latter and felt it was a better fit with the B&W's 800's. Though, you are right, in that it can be quite challenging to separate the minute differences between two good pieces looking for the qualities in each that appeals most to one's own senses. Plus first impressions can be misleading. Stands to reason why most hifi columnists review the equipment they borrow over several weeks or months.

Comment

• Gump
                            • Sep 2005

Stellar review, RebelMan....sounds like alot of time and effort went into this one. Little bit of a rollercoaster ride though before you reached your destination. I too like the rich warm Classe sound---kinda like laying back in an audio hammock on a warm sunny day. The 5200 is still at the top of my list.

Congrats again on your new toys!! Enjoy!

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Hey Gump, glad you liked the write up and thanks. The ride did take some neck snapping turns along the way but I was able to hold on and as you know it wasn't easy. LOL

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Classe's European Brand Manager Russell Kauffman was asked "What main performance issues is the Delta range meant to address?" His reply...

"With some high-end brands, the ambition seems to be to stretch resolution so far that you can hear every single detail, sometimes to the point where the big picture is sacrificed, and the user's enjoyment is impeded. ... Now I find I can listen to all kinds of music I wouldn't have listened to previously. I feel it is a major issue, because any product Classe' introduces, enhances the emotional connection with the music."
                                I found Mr. Kauffman's reply apropos to these discussions and based on my evaluation between Ayre and Classe' I agree, completely.

Comment

• chuck1801
                                  • Feb 2006

To answer the question posed by this thread -- IMO both.

The Ayre C-5xe is my favorite source regardless of cost. It sounded better to me through the 802Ds than the Classe source components on RBCD and DVD-A, which was impressive. The Ayre also has the advantage of being a great SACD player and I have over 200 SACDs.

I auditioned the Ayre V-1xe but thought the Classe sounded better, had better synergy, with the 802Ds and bought the CA3200. The Classe also has the advantage of a trigger that turns on the amp when you turn on the SSP (which can of course be done with the remote), a minor point but a nice convenience.

Comment

• JKalman
                                    • Nov 2005

I found the sound of the Ayre gear preferable to the Classe gear personally in comparable price ranges. I've never noticed a lack of emotional connection with the music when I dedicate time to sit and listen exclusively to the music. It really is more a matter of personal tastes over a black and white winner or loser, as opposed to what the thread title suggests. Opinions are like ********, as we all know. I'm very pleased with the Ayre sound, and find it immerses me in the music while revealing details I have not heard with other gear (well, without going into price ranges I can't spend in), especially in terms of dimensionality and shape. I find myself transported to another place, in another room when I close my eyes, with palpable sonic holograms stretching across my room from my front wall to both side walls and everywhere between the two speakers projecting out at me in my seat. I have not found this added detail to interfere with the big picture, but rather to enhance it, bringing an already stable sound field into greater focus. Yeah, the system is more revealing with the Ayre gear I've been using than with other components I've tried in similar and lower price ranges, and it sounds incredible. :T

If an album is recorded so badly that it does not hold up well to critical listening on a revealing setup, I listen to it in my car or on my Niles house system outside or in the house while cooking or playing with the kids... My biggest pet peave is orchestra recordings with lots of coughing, but that isn't a problem with the recording quality as much as with the season chosen to record a live, often historical, performance.

With the thread title and RebelMan's last quote I'm starting to feel he just has something against Ayre personally. I wonder if Mr Kauffman would appreciate RebelMan's use of that quote to subtly insinuate that his intention was to denigrate Ayre products? As with so many things in audio, personal preference for components is really what is important, there are no black and white absolutes when it comes to subjective enjoyment.

Comment

• Gump
                                      • Sep 2005

Ah yes---the Great "detail" Debate. Obviously there are people who believe there can be no such thing as "too much detail". My stereo salesman is still pushing me to forget Classe and go with Linn electronics because they are so much more detailed. To me the Linn sound is too bright almost harsh in the highs. He says that I'm confusing brightness with detail. He swears that I'll grow bored with the "plodding, muddy" sound (aka acoustical mist) of the Classe and eventually crave the more engaging, involving sound of the Linn gear. Maybe he's right, but it's hard to get around my ears telling me how much more pleasant and lush sounding the Classe is to me right now. It's like dipping my eardrums in warm chocolate. (Don't try this at home).

I've said this before that the best sounding set-up I've heard so far is the Classe amp paired with the Linn unidisc. It was right in the middle with the Classe's rich warmth and the Linn's speed and detail----the best of both worlds. Probably similar to chuck1801 teaming the Ayre source with the Classe amp.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

I found it interesting that my findings and, to later see, Mr. Kauffman's responses so closely paralled one another. Clearly Classe' has accomplished, successfully, what they set out to do.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Gump
                                          I've said this before that the best sounding set-up I've heard so far is the Classe amp paired with the Linn unidisc. It was right in the middle with the Classe's rich warmth and the Linn's speed and detail----the best of both worlds. Probably similar to chuck1801 teaming the Ayre source with the Classe amp.
                                          Hey Gump, if you liked the Linn Unidisk you will love the CDP-202. It was developed by none other than Linn's "ex" principle design engineer. He was the architect behind the highly acclaimed Linn Sondek CD12.
                                          Last edited by RebelMan; 11 May 2006, 04:14 Thursday.

Comment

• Gump
                                            • Sep 2005

Hey Gump, if you liked the Linn Unidisk you will love the CDP-202? It was developed by none other than Linn's "ex" principle design engineer. He was the architect behind the highly acclaimed Linn Sondek CD12.
                                            That's interesting, I'll have to check it out. I didn't even know the CDP-202 was out yet...is the paint dry on it yet?

Comment

• pembroke
                                              • Jun 2005

Thanks for the excellent review James - as we all know its very subjective, and perceptions of equipment can change after extended listening.
                                              When I was auditioning my 803's my local dealer was using the Musical Fidelity NuVista CD player and amp - it was a match made in heaven. I spent the best part of the day in audio nirvana while they let me play with the setup. Unfortunately MF are 2 channel commited, and so will not meet my needs for multi-channel amplification.

If you get the chance you should take a listen one day.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by pembroke
                                                It is funny that you would suggest that. I have wanted to hear the B&W's (namely the 802D's) with the MF's for quite some time. For a while there, the local dealer was considering on caring the brand but then decided (for whatever reason) that they wouldn't.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Gump
                                                  That's interesting, I'll have to check it out. I didn't even know the CDP-202 was out yet...is the paint dry on it yet?
                                                  LOL Yeah, but the stickers are still wet.

Comment

• RobP
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2004

James, I finally had the time to read your review this evening and I have to say I found it to be a wonderful interesting read. I really appreciate the open minded approach you took in reviewing both brands of equipment, as I see it, without bias. :T

By the way, I am also jealous of your Olympian typing skills, I think my hands would have fell off after the first paragraph. :lol:
                                                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• pembroke
                                                      • Jun 2005

James, B&W dealers are 'allegedly' under pressure from the distributor to also sell Classe and Rotel. I guess their is a conflict with Classe and MF being at similar price points, and the reason not to carry both. Also Classe supports multi-channel, MF is clearly resigned to the 2 channel camp - which is not attractive to dealers.
                                                      I've figured out how to integrate the MF KW500 into my HT, and its on its way to me. I had one of the original MF B200 amps and just love their sound, amps is their core competence.
                                                      I'll let you know how it performs.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2003

actually, classe is not accepting any new dealers at this time. I got that directly from them. They feel it would cause problems with their ability to supply their current dealers.

Comment

• stewfoo
                                                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                          actually, classe is not accepting any new dealers at this time. I got that directly from them. They feel it would cause problems with their ability to supply their current dealers.
                                                          I don't know whether this is true or not. But, my ssp-300 and 3200 sure took a while to get.
                                                          Stew

Comment

• philly boy
                                                            • Jul 2005

I ordered the CA-2200 on Feb. 25th and picked it up on March 6th (9 days later). Though, at the time I ordered, the dealer had no idea as to how long it would take. It may depend on the model(s) ordered.
                                                            ----Philip

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

I've figured out how to integrate the MF KW500 into my HT, and its on its way to me. I had one of the original MF B200 amps and just love their sound, amps is their core competence.
                                                              I'll let you know how it performs.
                                                              Good deal, I am looking forward to it. I take it you finally settled on the MF's?

Comment

• Eliav
                                                                • Jul 2005

First 15 minutes experience with the Classe cp700 :Got my cp700, hooked it up minutes ago. very first impression :sweet, detailed yet not as deep presentation and air as my Rotel 1068(!) with exactly the same setup. somewhat dull mids and somewhat front presentation.seems like the music is not pouring out of it. It definitely needs some time to break in, however, as for the first 15 minutes - not quite impressed :W
                                                                Will keep you posted
                                                                Eliav
                                                                :T Socrat

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Oct 2005

very interesting read rebelman. And you make soem very good points.

I had the pleasure a while back now of listenign to one of my cousins setup which is martin logan electrostatics driven by classe pre & power and must say there was much to like about the systems sound but for all the reasons that it weren't totally to my liking(thought it lacked bite and rawness) was probably the very reasons why my cousin likes its sound so very much(for its delicacy and smoothness) ! .

Shows the importance of finding that sound your looking for - which you no doubt have which is great, as often that can be real hard find. And also shows very much reading this thread that one mans wine is another vinegar ! and we're all very much lookign for somethign quite differnet at times. Makes a mockery too of the "best" amp or "best" speaker claims as thats no doubt somethign thats goign to be different for differnt people depending on their individual tastes.

and yeah for those very reasons I'm quite sure for many ayre is probably the ideal combination with classe being "too smooth" and yet for many classe beign "the one" with those finding amps like the ayre a bit hard to take etc..in a way its great isnt it we have this sort of choice so we can actually get stuff to suit our tastes !

Thanks for the excellent review James - as we all know its very subjective, and perceptions of equipment can change after extended listening.
                                                                  When I was auditioning my 803's my local dealer was using the Musical Fidelity NuVista CD player and amp - it was a match made in heaven. I spent the best part of the day in audio nirvana while they let me play with the setup. Unfortunately MF are 2 channel commited, and so will not meet my needs for multi-channel amplification.

funny you say this pembroke, I had the opportunity of takign my MF a5cr pre-pwr and my MF valve DAC over to a friends place who has a b&w 703 and must say too really nice combination indeed I thought. Was happy to find that in being a bit fo a fan of b&w sound.

The MF sound is fairly clean and neutral and in regards the multichannel side of things, have found that a similarly clean and neutral sounding multichannel amp to drive the centre and surrounds seems provide a very good result. The actual multichannel amp I'm using is the Elektra Theatre 7 which is an absolute beaut think we are we very lucky in Oz to have a locally made amp of this ilk.
                                                                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• JKalman
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
                                                                    very interesting read rebelman. And you make soem very good points.

I had the pleasure a while back now of listenign to one of my cousins setup which is martin logan electrostatics driven by classe pre & power and must say there was much to like about the systems sound but for all the reasons that it weren't totally to my liking(thought it lacked bite and rawness) was probably the very reasons why my cousin likes its sound so very much(for its delicacy and smoothness) ! .

Shows the importance of finding that sound your looking for - which you no doubt have which is great, as often that can be real hard find. And also shows very much reading this thread that one mans wine is another vinegar ! and we're all very much lookign for somethign quite differnet at times. Makes a mockery too of the "best" amp or "best" speaker claims as thats no doubt somethign thats goign to be different for differnt people depending on their individual tastes.

and yeah for those very reasons I'm quite sure for many ayre is probably the ideal combination with classe being "too smooth" and yet for many classe beign "the one" with those finding amps like the ayre a bit hard to take etc..in a way its great isnt it we have this sort of choice so we can actually get stuff to suit our tastes !
                                                                    Bravo! A well stated truth. :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

Hey Eliav, I would like to offer you a few suggestions while are breaking in the CP-700. The Delta Series employs a "fully-balanced" design with the primary purpose of utilizing fully-balanced connections throughout the electronics chain, (other high-end brands follow a similar design objective). If you're not already using XLR connections I encourage you to do so. This recommendation goes way beyond the typical rhetoric you'll hear regarding the pros and cons of balanced connections. You’ll see dynamic range increase up to 6dB, signal-to-noise ratios improve and lowered distortion. Given that your source component (RDV-1060) does not support a fully-balanced implementation your performance will still be somewhat limited but you should still see (hear) some improvement given that the Delta Series will convert single-ended signals into balanced ones.

Also keep in mind that the Delta Series exhibits remarkable transparency and as such it may be revealing weaknesses higher up in the reproduction chain. I noticed yesterday while I was playing a cut from Sade’s “The Best of Sade” CD that it lacked some pizzazz that I was typically accustomed to hearing on my Rotel system (through the same set of speakers). Then when I plugged in Fleetwoodmac’s “Rumors” DVD-A track “Dreams” I couldn’t believe my ears. The opening cut begins with a cymbal clasp that seemed as if it were literally in my room. I had to play the cut about a dozen times because the performance seemed too real which I never came close to realizing with my Rotel system. I concluded that my Rotel system was masking the imperfections of the recordings in some media and limiting the full potential of the recordings in others.
                                                                      Last edited by RebelMan; 25 May 2006, 22:47 Thursday.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Indeed, the pursuit of audio bliss is a very personal one that is often driven by one's aural abilities and tastes. This expose' was not an attempt to advocate one brand over another but it was an exercise to demonstrate the importance of component matching and system synergy which to me means mutually exploiting the finest musical qualities of each participant. Ultimately, this conclusion can only be decided by the listener but an overall consensus can still be formed.

Many hifi purists and industry pundits find valve based systems to be the holy grail of music reproduction. If you look at most megabuck systems you'll almost always find one or more components laced with tubes. Classe' has built much of their reputation around their ability to reproduce valve like characteristics into their solid state designs and at affordable prices ( take that with a grain of salt ). Other designs like Ayre are more concerned with accurate reproduction versus natural reproduction like that found in Classe'.

Classe's silky smooth and full-bodied qualities compliment the B&W 800's quite well but they may escape some people for Ayre's squeaky clean ones. As for these sensitive ears I chose Classe' and avoided the "Hurts So Good" mantra. LOL

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Oct 2005

Indeed, the pursuit of audio bliss is a very personal one that is often driven by one's aural abilities and tastes. This expose' was not an attempt to advocate one brand over another but it was an exercise to demonstrate the importance of component matching and system synergy which to me means mutually exploiting the finest musical qualities of each participant. Ultimately, this conclusion can only be decided by the listener but an overall consensus can still be formed.

Many hifi purists and industry pundits find valve based systems to be the holy grail of music reproduction. If you look at most megabuck systems you'll almost always find one or more components laced with tubes. Classe' has built much of their reputation around their ability to reproduce valve like characteristics into their solid state designs and at affordable prices ( take that with a grain of salt ). Other designs like Ayre are more concerned with accurate reproduction versus natural reproduction like that found in Classe'.

Classe's silky smooth and full-bodied qualities compliment the B&W 800's quite well but they may escape some people for Ayre's squeaky clean ones. As for these sensitive ears I chose Classe' and avoided the "Hurts So Good" mantra. LOL
                                                                          thats the thing rebelman a consesnsus cannot be formed at all apart from say classe gives a smoother sound or ayre a bit more rawness. After that it all comes down to the listener as to what they prefer.

oh and regards tubes theres is much stuff with tubes that sounds nothign like tubes and couldn't be hundred miles off from classe. Take some audio research amps I heard fair old differenc between them and an valve audio note amp for instace couldnt be more far apart in their sound and nothing like classe either of them. I have a valve output stage in my DAC but it doesn't sound anything like tubes if its meant to sound like classe.

And there is much high end and serious high end little to do with tubes. Infact you'll find most of it is infact trying to get as close to neutral and approach what is real not some sort of tube charectereistic.

Again great to hear you've foudn what you've wanted but I'd hardly go as far as implyign what you have in the last post which essesntially is that most high end is tubes and classe is like tubes and therefore anythign that doesnt' sound like is not high end. Far from it. It just isn't to your taste thats all !
                                                                          Last edited by alebonau; 26 May 2006, 09:07 Friday.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 2299

When I am in Boston next month I hope to listen to Classe, but I did my own listening based on what is available locally. Yesterday I a/b'd the Ayre Cx5e vs the Ayre Cx7e and I felt that the 7e 90-95% of the 5e, and a better value for me. I can't compare it to classe, but I enjoyed what I heard. I did a/b it against musical fidelity, and I liked the ayre better.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 3139

#39
                                                                              thats the thing rebelman a consesnsus cannot be formed at all apart from say classe gives a smoother sound or ayre a bit more rawness. After that it all comes down to the listener as to what they prefer.

oh and regards tubes theres is much stuff with tubes that sounds nothign like tubes and couldn't be hundred miles off from classe. Take some audio research amps I heard fair old differenc between them and an valve audio note amp for instace couldnt be more far apart in their sound and nothing like classe either of them. I have a valve output stage in my DAC but it doesn't sound anything like tubes if its meant to sound like classe.

And there is much high end and serious high end little to do with tubes. Infact you'll find most of it is infact trying to get as close to neutral and approach what is real not some sort of tube charectereistic.

Again great to hear you've foudn what you've wanted but I'd hardly go as far as implyign what you have in the last post which essesntially is that most high end is tubes and classe is like tubes and therefore anythign that doesnt' sound like is not high end. Far from it. It just isn't to your taste thats all !
                                                                              It comes down to what constitutes musicality and how that individual perceives and defines it. Remember the basis for what we each think is musical stems from our experiences of live performances and venues. The more experience one has the more they are adept to observe the musicality in reproduction systems. For instance, I would suspect that the majority of the people here would agree that BOSE speakers are not particularly musical. It might be different to people outside the captive audience of this forum. However, once those people have been exposed to something other than BOSE, like the B&W's for example, their perceptions of BOSE’s musical reproduction abilities become altered and a consensus will be formed. Whether this suggests rightness or not is a subject for another discussion. Though, I do agree that the matter of which piece of equipment sounds better is still largely a subjective one but one that is primarily based on an individual's experience.

Valves (tubes) are often characterized as having smooth and unfatiguing treble, superb presentation of instrumental timbre and spectacular soundstaging. The musicality of which is natural and warm with an expansive sense of bloom around the instrumental images. These traits distinguish high-end devices from the also-rans. It was implied that Classe' possesses these admirable qualities in a solid-state device not that it sounds like any one particular brand. Seriously, no device is really all that neutral but they can be made to sound more natural.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Oct 2005
                                                                                • 992

#40
                                                                                It comes down to what constitutes musicality and how that individual perceives and defines it. Remember the basis for what we each think is musical stems from our experiences of live performances and venues. ~Valves (tubes) are often characterized as having smooth and unfatiguing treble, superb presentation of instrumental timbre and spectacular soundstaging. The musicality of which is natural and warm with an expansive sense of bloom around the instrumental images. These traits distinguish high-end devices from the also-rans.
                                                                                there will be some that argue that if chasing a sound of smoothness & unfatiguing treble, warmth and bloom all valve like tendencies then that has little to do with a live performance. Have a listen to a voilin live there is much rawness that would put your ear on edge. Many would agrue for instance that if your system cant convey that then has little to do with realism. I would say thats where personal choice comes in. You prefer it softer/smoother for extended listening others might not and prefer to hear that rawness and edge.

The more experience one has the more they are adept to observe the musicality in reproduction systems. For instance, I would suspect that the majority of the people here would agree that BOSE speakers are not particularly musical. It might be different to people outside the captive audience of this forum. However, once those people have been exposed to something other than BOSE, like the B&W's for example, their perceptions of BOSE’s musical reproduction abilities become altered and a consensus will be formed. Whether this suggests rightness or not is a subject for another discussion. Though, I do agree that the matter of which piece of equipment sounds better is still largely a subjective one but one that is primarily based on an individual's experience.
                                                                                ~
                                                                                yes just like there is plenty of people out there that think that bose is somethign to aspire to(I know a few) theres plenty out there (like myself) that know its just overpriced and musically compromised by being designed for its look. And just as similarly theres plenty out there that dont even like the B&W sound prefer some thing else. This is just so down to personal preference.

~Whether this suggests rightness or not is a subject for another discussion. Though, I do agree that the matter of which piece of equipment sounds better is still largely a subjective one but one that is primarily based on an individual's experience.
                                                                                ~.
                                                                                exactly

~ It was implied that Classe' possesses these admirable qualities in a solid-state device not that it sounds like any one particular brand. Seriously, no device is really all that neutral but they can be made to sound more natural.
                                                                                yes but as per my initial post keep in mind these 'admirable' as you see them could be the very reason someone prefers something else for their own very valid reasons.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 3139

#41
                                                                                  there will be some that argue that if chasing a sound of smoothness & unfatiguing treble, warmth and bloom all valve like tendencies then that has little to do with a live performance. Have a listen to a voilin live there is much rawness that would put your ear on edge. Many would agrue for instance that if your system cant convey that then has little to do with realism. I would say thats where personal choice comes in. You prefer it softer/smoother for extended listening others might not and prefer to hear that rawness and edge.
                                                                                  People are drawn to the melodies voices/instruments make because the artist/musician has the ability and the experience to properly produce the notes (frequencies, pitch and rhythm) the individual/device is capable of generating and at realistic levels. They are not drawn to the musical byproducts produced by inexperienced players nor do they take pleasure in exacerbated amplitudes. This is not chasing, this is identifying. High frequencies are some of the hardest to reproduce in instruments like cymbals with all of their shine and body without adding extra shimmer which can be mistaken for detail and rawness. A system that can convey the natural tones of the voices/instruments makes the presentation seem more real.
                                                                                  yes just like there is plenty of people out there that think that bose is somethign to aspire to(I know a few) theres plenty out there (like myself) that know its just overpriced and musically compromised by being designed for its look. And just as similarly theres plenty out there that dont even like the B&W sound prefer some thing else. This is just so down to personal preference.
                                                                                  Likewise, but I am sure those aspirations wouldn’t stop with BOSE if those people had the wherewithal to become familiar with brands like B&W. Decisions are usually forced to stop at one’s own pocketbook.

Think for a moment why people “upgrade” their systems. For what purpose does this serve? If a set of equipment meets one’s aural needs why change? I suppose we could speculate all day for reasons why. Though, I am certain that one of those reasons is based on their growing experience to become a better listener. I know that it is really just a personal choice people make but let’s not kid ourselves. When was the last time you convinced anyone (including yourself) that a handheld transistor radio sounds like a live performance? It’s an extreme example, I know, but it makes the point.
                                                                                  yes but as per my initial post keep in mind these 'admirable' as you see them could be the very reason someone prefers something else for their own very valid reasons.
                                                                                  True, but they are shared by many knowledgeable and respectable people that make it their business, literally.

Comment

• JKalman
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2005
                                                                                    • 708

#42
                                                                                    Pardon me, I couldn't help but read the quotes.

Live Rock and Roll concert venues have some of the worst sound out there, e.g. Madison Square Garden is awful, Irving Plaza is awful, Old Roseland... Awful, Giant Stadium... Blah.

I've been playing guitar for 18 years, alone and with other musicians. I've played in bands growing up, through highschool, through college up to this day. I've worked with recording equipment (Tascams, Protools on a Digi 002, synthesizers both guitar and keyboard).

I've heard good and bad auditoriums, concert halls, stadiums overloaded with echos, etc., across this entire country touring with the Grateful Dead and Phish. I've been to more venues than I can remember. Broadway Musicals, Rock Concerts, Classical Concerts, etc.

I was even at the Today Show studio this last Wednesday and was in the TV studio watching the band they had on that morning (I forget the name, but they were redoing Frank Sinatra's Witchcraft). Talk about a soundproof room... I bet it sounded better through the TV than in that studio built for a talk show environment.

No stereo system out there approaches live performances in sound, which is often a great thing, sometimes good, and occasionally bad. At your home system, you can always have the best seat in the house.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

#43
                                                                                      No stereo system out there approaches live performances in sound, which is often a great thing, sometimes good, and occasionally bad. At your home system, you can always have the best seat in the house.
                                                                                      Well put, but it is often the quality of the live performance that counts (which is is approachable) not the quantity.
                                                                                      Last edited by RebelMan; 26 May 2006, 22:53 Friday.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Oct 2005
                                                                                        • 992

#44
                                                                                        ~

a very good point indeed J. Nothing comes close to live, replay can all be versions of it and as you said that can be a good or bad thing indeed

ps love your qoutes in your sig J. hehehe

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 3139

#45
                                                                                          The current issue of The Absolute Sound (June/July 2006) is running an article about "Sonic Realism" which I found an interesting read and others may too. It also reviews a value-oriented "high-end" system from Cambridge Audio which includes their Azur 540A v2 Integrated Amplifier and Azur 540C v2 CD Player. One paragraph towards the end of the review describes the musical qualities of the system that I found too befitting not to mention about here. Some people should find it enlightening.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"