X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taker
    • Aug 2005

Anyone know if there is a 805D from B&W

I was looking to pickup a pair of 805S but before I do dose anyone know if B&W is going to replace them with something else maybe 805D 8)
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

No such thing. No 804D either, for that matter.
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• bwspeak
      • Jan 2007

I heard a while back from my dealer that they were considering releasing an 804D and 805D, but it may have never materalized.....

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

How about an upgrade kit - just like those Shanling CD players where they upgrade various components

Maybe a couple of D tweeters, higher grade crossovers and a subtle racing stripe in birdseye whatever (like the old signature models).

Come to think of it, isn't the signature diamond an 805D of sorts.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• linuxtx
          • Apr 2007

Sure, it could be done, but the upgrade would cost much more than the actual 805s, and cost quite a bit of time and money to develop. Not sure too many people are willing to sink the cash, and time into designing such an upgrade without the support of B&W. Particularly where the market is going to be rather limited.

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Maybe that is why so many dealers in the USA allow customers to upgrade within a 12 month period.

B&W dealers will not do that in Australia. They will not even consider taking gear as a second hand item (at least I was told that my 705s would not be worth trading - same thing really)
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Amarkus1
              • Jun 2005

I was also told by a dealer that they will be coming out with a 805D.

Comment

• caleb
                • Aug 2004

This subgect has been debated since the new 800 series was launched and most time is comes to the same conclusion.

If you look at the cost of the diamond tweeter and the new crossover needed it just wouldnt make it a viable proposition IMHO.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                  The biggest advantage the D tweeter has is its ability to play very loud with very low distortion. The S tweeter used in the current 805S is excellent. The 805S is rated at 125W which means it is not designed to fill a large room with high volume sound unlike the large B&W floorstanders that use the D tweeter. Thus, the S tweeter is consistent with the basic design philosophy of the 805S. I see no reason for B&W to upset the very successful balance they have achieved wih the 805S.

Furthermore, I feel within the volume limits defined for the 805S design, its S tweeter is just as good as the D tweeter. The S tweeter is really special.

So, quit wishing for something you really don't want because the price of the 805S would probably double and not gain anything significant. It doesn't make sense.

Sparky

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

There has been much skepticism, hearsay and uncertainty surrounding the subject of a diamond furnished 805 since the release of the new 800 Series more than two years ago. To set the record straight, B&W has, in fact, been researching and developing a possible 805”D” to compliment the series. A number of technical issues surfaced during the project which has caused delays and the rampant public speculation. If the 805”D” successfully makes its debut it may not look anything like the 805 we have come to know but if it fails it wasn’t for a lack of effort.
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                      There has been much skepticism, hearsay and uncertainty surrounding the subject of a diamond furnished 805 since the release of the new 800 Series more than two years ago. To set the record straight, B&W has, in fact, been researching and developing a possible 805”D” to compliment the series. A number of technical issues surfaced during the project which has caused delays and the rampant public speculation. If the 805”D” successfully makes its debut it may not look anything like the 805 we have come to know but if it fails it wasn’t for a lack of effort.
                      HI Reb,
                      How do you know this? What is your source? What technical issues? Is this not just a matter of plugging in a D tweeter and perhaps touching up the crossover? All this unless B&W is planning a major revision of the basic 805S which would create a different speaker.

For the record I'm really not in the slightest bit interested in personally purchasing one. But I do wish B&W to be successful with all their product decisions. I think this would be a bad one which is why I'm so skeptical. B&W usually has a good handle on the market.

Sparky

Comment

• Java
                        • Dec 2006

I'll throw in my 2cents (and that's about all the following is worth).. My dealer claims that B&W was not wanting to just put a 'D' tweeter on the 805S. His info was that they also wanted to improve the bass response and that's where some of the 'technical issues' came from. He said the company put this idea on hold or shelved it entirely. I'm hesitant about posting this 'cause I have no idea how accurate he is.. I did email B&W a couple months ago and the response I received was that there's no plan to release an 805D in 2007.

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                          HI Reb,
                          How do you know this? What is your source? What technical issues? Is this not just a matter of plugging in a D tweeter and perhaps touching up the crossover?
                          Hey Sparky, by the good graces of the B&W Group and the discussion I had with a member of their technical team. As you insightfully pointed out B&W outlines performance goals with all of the speakers they manufacture. The potential for a diamond tweeter laden 805 was no different.

The engineers involved in the 805X project expected some hurdles which were jumped but in so doing new and unexpected results were discovered. For instance, changes to the crossover network would yield less than expected results. As further testing ensued new component choices were made and changes to circuit topologies were implemented resulting in performance gains in some areas but shortfalls in others.

As development ensued the engineers were forced to re-examine driver materials and component housing along with cabinet design and construction. The more progress the technical team made the more work that needed to be done eventually creating an impasse. The team realized the original goals set forth for the 805X were not going to be realized given the direct that the project was heading. As a result the team was faced with a tough decision to continue pursuing in the new direction or abandon the original plan all together. Last I heard the decision was left open.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Reb,
                            Good. Thank you for your usual information rich reply. Again, it sounds like the D endowed 805X would no longer be an 805 but a different creature. The changes you are speakeing about are major. One must wonder if the gains, if any, would be worth the added expense. After all, the 805S is an expensive small speaker and many have complined about that. What would they say about an "805X"? Sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone.

I'm sure there is a niche market out there that would buy the new speaker but I suspect it is small. And again, what's the gain relative to the 805S given the built-in and intended performance limitations. These are largely determined by the physics of the design. I see no easy answer unless the power handling of the 805 is substantially increased. Bass performance is mostly determined by the box size and choice of porting. Going to a more acoustic suspension type of alignment (not part of the B&W style) might decrease the bass roll off frequency but at a very large cost of required amplifier power. Everything is a tradeoff.

Thanks Again,

Sparky

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                              • Apr 2005

RebelMan is a well informed source... as he knows many B&W USA folks and many Classe' folks and even a few Rotel folks personally

(But)

If you look at an 803S it's a bit different (like completely different) than an 803D
                              Food for thought...

Comment

• Birdy
                                • Mar 2006

I don't want to argue with Rebelman :roll: but.... according to another forum member on a french site who si working for B&W europe the 805D should go out in september.
                                The price should be similar to the one of the 804S.

Wait & see :P

Birdy

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Birdy
                                  I don't want to argue with Rebelman :roll: but.... according to another forum member on a french site who si working for B&W europe the 805D should go out in september.
                                  The price should be similar to the one of the 804S.

Wait & see :P

Birdy
                                  September 2007..?
                                  Care to make a wager Birdy... 8)

(You won't see an 805D in 2007, and that's something you can bank on)

Comment

• Iggurk
                                    • Jun 2006

Does anyone knows if there is any plan for a 800,802D update?

Will it happens anytime soon?

What's the period between products updates at BW?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Iggurk
                                      Does anyone knows if there is any plan for a 800,802D update?

Will it happens anytime soon?

What's the period between products updates at BW?
                                      If the last two updates are any indication of historical trends then the predicted lifecycle would be about every 6 years. I wouldn't count on any (major) updates to the 800 series until then, maybe an announcment in 2010 for the next round.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"