This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JKalman
    • Nov 2005

My dealer said he spoke the the President of B&W and that the President said that after careful consideration there will not be a 805D speaker, at least not for the next year, or something of that nature. :M :cry:

Comment

• dan87951
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Guy
      Hey audio guru. you mentioned that you can't hear any difference between 805 & 805s.
      Did you actually compare them side by side with the same equipment? Just looking for feedback since I am thinking of upgrading from N805 to 805s. I heard the 805S which sounded great but have not yet managed to compare side by side with my N805.

I have a feeling that the new 805D will be similar in price to what the Signature 805 was. Here in Australia the Sig 805 sold for around $8,000 AUD. Definatley not cheap for a bookshelf.
      Yes I heard them side by side at my local deal all heard on Rotel equipment. For the 15mins of listening to them I couldn't hear a audible difference. To me it was the exact same speaker just add $500 to the price tag. My salesman said they tweaked the crossover and did something different to the tweeter on the 805S but I couldn't tell the difference.
      dan87951
      audio guru

Comment

• JKalman
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Pieter
        Jeff, an aside. How 'bout changing your signature every other day or so and let the rest of them here enjoy some more from Ambrose's satirical quiver.
        So, how do you like the new quotes in my signature?

Comment

• turbokuo
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Guy
          Hey audio guru. you mentioned that you can't hear any difference between 805 & 805s.
          Did you actually compare them side by side with the same equipment? Just looking for feedback since I am thinking of upgrading from N805 to 805s. I heard the 805S which sounded great but have not yet managed to compare side by side with my N805.

I have a feeling that the new 805D will be similar in price to what the Signature 805 was. Here in Australia the Sig 805 sold for around $8,000 AUD. Definatley not cheap for a bookshelf.
          There is an obvious difference, the 805S is much better in the sense of less cabinet distortion among other things. Pop in Nora Jones and it's obvious.

Comment

• Guy
            • Jan 2006

Yes I have a copy of HiFi Choice magazine (May 2005) which compares the new 805 to the old N805 & N805 Signature and the result is not only that the new 805 is better than the old N805 but it is also better than the old Signature 805 which used to cost considerably more than the new 805.

I plan on doing a side by side comparison shortly.

Comment

• Rolex
              • Mar 2005

I have a few things to add, although I'm a bit late as this thread has been around for a while. First to discuss the Diamond 805. That would be huge. Let's remember that way back when, B&W did have a speaker called the Silver Signature. To the tune of 8 grand a pair. Expensive yes, especially for a bookshelf. So, is it out of the question that would produce a diamond 805? No way. It might take a little nudging, but my guess is, it will happen. Probably not in the next year though. I know I'm saving up... As far as price. 250 extra per speaker? No way. Let's look at it this way.. The increase for the signature over the nautilus was 1500 dollars. I'm guessing it will be about 2500 more for the diamond in the potential diamond 805. 1500 for tweeters, and 1000 for fancy finish and upgrades. BTW, in my opinion, the extra time and effort spent on the finish is by far worth it. This coming from an avid wood worker of 12 years or so. That brings us to 5000 for a diamond 805. Obviously not based on facts, but a guess.

I've owned the Nautilus 805, then the Signature 805, and then the new 805S. It was a tough call, but for me, I liked the signature 805 the best. For the record, in all my emails with B&W tech, never once did they say the new 805S is way better than the old signature. In fact, they told me that both speakers have strengths and weaknesses. That I agree with, but to my ears and my system, I would take the signature again... not to mention the looks.

Some opinion, some fact, but I can almost guarantee that even if they don't give us a diamond 805, they will most certainly give us a new signature 805 of some kind..

Comment

• JKalman
                • Nov 2005

I would buy an 805 Diamond if they put one out yesterday. No I'm actually considering trading in my 802Ds at cost and spending $8000 dollars more for a pair of 800Ds. I might even move my TV back to my desk area and shift what was going to be a HT system into just a straight up audio system, saving up for the Classe Omnicrons after I get the 800Ds.

What to do, what to do...?!?!

Comment

• Pieter
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                  So, how do you like the new quotes in my signature?
                  Apologize for the late reply; bad weather and electricity black outs = no internet connection.

I like 'em fine, thanks. Been a Bierce fan for many years. Some of those definitions are truly outrageous.

Please keep 'em coming, you are obligated to educate the rabble.

Comment

• Indytown
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                    I would buy an 805 Diamond if they put one out yesterday. No I'm actually considering trading in my 802Ds at cost and spending $8000 dollars more for a pair of 800Ds. I might even move my TV back to my desk area and shift what was going to be a HT system into just a straight up audio system, saving up for the Classe Omnicrons after I get the 800Ds.

What to do, what to do...?!?!
                    JKalman, jumping from 802d to 800d and by passing Mac 501's, CAM400 and the sort for amplification. I would think auditioning amps are more critical with the 800d than the 802's. You will be suprised in the differences. If you research the reviews of the CAM's they talk about the circuitry and design of the CAM moving upwards into the design of new Omnicrons in the near future. Why the jump straight to Omnirons?

Comment

• JKalman
                      • Nov 2005

Indy, if I switch from 802Ds to 800Ds I want to use a top notch amp as well. The Omnicrons are definitely a consideration, though not the only ones. At the places I have demoed 800Ds, the ones on the Omnicrons sounded superior so far. I will do a lot of auditioning before I really make up my mind though, so I'm not really just going to save up for and buy the Omnicrons right away. It isn't set in stone.

Comment

• alebonau
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

wow hows this for an old thread 5 years later and it finally came through

have always had a soft spot for the 805S but its non diamond tweeter always held me back buying. In the end time passed it by for me and I moved on. ..not a nice little pmc db1i for the bedroom system instead. ofcourse still have a soft spot for the little 800...who knows might get a listen to it one day
                        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"