X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JKalman
    • Nov 2005

B&W 805D?!?

Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of an 805D speaker in the B&W Diamond series? I want to match my front 802D speakers with my surround speakers as much as possible without spending a fortune on 802Ds or 803Ds. Also, I had seen a post where someone mentioned 804Ds, are those now available, I don't see it on their website?

Thanks!
  • PavelL
    • Sep 2005

Hi there! I had a conversation with my B&W dealer the other day and you know what? He thinks that this whole "diamond" story is nothing but a marketing gimmick. Only meant to justify a new price hike - you know inflation, a weak dollar and so on. He almost started laughing when I uttered the word "upgrade". I asked B&W this question TWICE - no responce so far. Still waiting. My question was about 800Ds sonic superiority in systems with room calibration/equalization. No answer. To me it is OBVIOUS. Sorry if you think it's off-topic...

Comment

• JKalman
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by PavelL
      Hi there! I had a conversation with my B&W dealer the other day and you know what? He thinks that this whole "diamond" story is nothing but a marketing gimmick. Only meant to justify a new price hike - you know inflation, a weak dollar and so on. He almost started laughing when I uttered the word "upgrade". I asked B&W this question TWICE - no responce so far. Still waiting. My question was about 800Ds sonic superiority in systems with room calibration/equalization. No answer. To me it is OBVIOUS. Sorry if you think it's off-topic...
      I didn't start this thread to debate something off the topic I started, i.e. I don't want to debate your dealers opinions concerning the change in material used to make the diamond series tweeters. It seems like you have specifically targetted me to try and cause problems. Be a mature adult and start your own thread on that topic if it concerns you that much.

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by JKalman
        Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of an 805D speaker in the B&W Diamond series?
        Thanks!
        I have been told by more than one B&W dealer that there will be a 805D and it will be announced at CES.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• alpina
          • Nov 2005

gotta ask a a silly question - is a 805d a bookself speaker like the 805?

regards,

julie
          My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• JKalman
            • Nov 2005

Great, thanks DrJRapp. Good to know. Now I will definitely wait. I was considering buying the 805S, and instead will purchase my new TV first.

Comment

• JKalman
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by alpina
              gotta ask a a silly question - is a 805d a bookself speaker like the 805?

regards,

julie
              I would think so, it seems the B&W *05 speakers are usually bookshelf speakers, e.g. 705 and 805.

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Jerry, what about the SCMS's? Any outlook on an SCMD or would this be wishfull thinking on my part? They are very similar to the 805's but intended to hung on the walls.
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                  Jerry, what about the SCMS's? Any outlook on an SCMD or would this be wishfull thinking on my part? They are very similar to the 805's but intended to hung on the walls.
                  Interesting that you should ask that question because that is the question I asked both dealers and got answered with essentially the same thing "I dunno, but there is an 805D coming". I have to make a caviat to this whole thing. All the dealers in south Florida get their stuff from a distributor who has been known to put out bad info in the past.
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

It seems like you have specifically targetted me to try and cause problems.
                    Help us understand how you've come to that rather paranoid conclusion.

Comment

• JKalman
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                      Help us understand how you've come to that rather paranoid conclusion.
                      You mean, "help you understand?" Nothing personal, but no thanks.

Comment

• caleb
                        • Aug 2004

IMHO I don't think that we will see a 805D.

Reason is the high price of the diamond tweeter compared to the actual price of the speaker complete - my dealer here also supports this theory.

What may come available soon is a signature series 805 with special wood finishes and this may then justify the higher price needed for the diamond tweeters.

Comment

• Indytown
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                          IMHO I don't think that we will see a 805D.

Reason is the high price of the diamond tweeter compared to the actual price of the speaker complete - my dealer here also supports this theory.

What may come available soon is a signature series 805 with special wood finishes and this may then justify the higher price needed for the diamond tweeters.
                          I'm not sure I agree 100% here. B&W can release a 805D with the diamond tweeter, add the FST midrange, tweak the cross-overs.

They are into their second year of production now; I would believe they have recouped some of their startup costs related to the diamond tweeter.

Comment

• shadow
                            • Dec 2003

Don't think that the FST will go low enough to make this a full range speaker with bass to 60 hz or so. That driver is not made for bass reproduction as far as I know.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Indytown
                              They are into their second year of production now; I would believe they have recouped some of their startup costs related to the diamond tweeter.

One must understand that the B&W "diamond" speakers are made with man made industrial grade diamonds, the same type used on saw blades and drills, etc. It isn't really that costly.

What was costly was developing the process to fabricate a tweeter dome from that material. It is actually "grown" in the shape it needs to be. I'm sure the production yeilds are probably stabilzed by now and the cost to "upgrade" the 805 shouldn't be tremendous.
                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

following the trend b&w just took, i'd imagine the next series in five years or so will have every tweeter being a diamond..
                                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• grit
                                  • Jan 2005

What were the 805 sigatures then? I know the original 805 signature's were before the diamond tweeters, but where did they go and what was different about them?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

The S805's were supplanted with the new 805S's. The tweets were the same but the crossovers, mid/bass drivers and cosmetics were different. B&W claims the new 805S's are better than the Signatures were.
                                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of an 805D speaker in the B&W Diamond series? I want to match my front 802D speakers with my surround speakers as much as possible without spending a fortune on 802Ds or 803Ds. Also, I had seen a post where someone mentioned 804Ds, are those now available, I don't see it on their website?

Thanks!
                                      My Error.

I put 804D which does not exist, no such thing.

I meant 804S

Comment

• bigburner
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

You mean, "help you understand?" Nothing personal, but no thanks.
                                        Jeff, you accused another member of deliberately targeting you to cause problems. For the sake of your credibility you should support this accusation with some evidence.

Comment

• dan87951
                                          • Nov 2005

I bet the 805D will be about $250 dollars higher per speaker over the regular 805S. So if the 805S is $2500 a pair expect the 805D to be around $3000 a pair. THats just my opinion seems like B&W raises prices by $500 bux a pair.
                                          dan87951
                                          audio guru

Comment

• JKalman
                                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                                            Jeff, you accused another member of deliberately targeting you to cause problems. For the sake of your credibility you should support this accusation with some evidence.
                                            No, I didn't accuse him, I said it "seems". For the sake of my credibility? LOL. :twisted:

I didn't start this thread to debate something off the topic I started, i.e. I don't want to debate your dealers opinions concerning the change in material used to make the diamond series tweeters. It seems like you have specifically targetted me to try and cause problems. Be a mature adult and start your own thread on that topic if it concerns you that much.
                                            Anyway, this too is off the topic of the thread I started.

Comment

• bigburner
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

No, I didn't accuse him, I said it "seems". For the sake of my credibility? LOL. :twisted:

Anyway, this too is off the topic of the thread I started.
                                              Come on Jeff, tell us what PavelL said that "seemed" like he was specifically targeting you to try and cause problems. If you have some evidence then produce it. If you made a mistake then admit it.

Apologies to other members for this off-topic content, but I think that there's a principle at stake here about how we treat each other in this forum.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2003

Peace and Blessings everyone...

Geoff

Comment

• JKalman
                                                  • Nov 2005

yawn...

I think I'll call my dealer and see if they have heard anything. Would be nice to put in a pre-order now.

Comment

• caleb
                                                    • Aug 2004

I think you are way off with your $250 extra for the Diamondtweeters for the 805 - more like $500 to 750! ! !

Comment

• dan87951
                                                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                                                      I think you are way off with your $250 extra for the Diamondtweeters for the 805 - more like $500 to 750! ! !
                                                      Like I said thats my guess! I never implied that would be the EXACT price. Your intitled to your opinion. Also as stated my guess is $250 extra per speaker or $500 extra for the pair if you want the diamonds.
                                                      dan87951
                                                      audio guru

Comment

• caleb
                                                        • Aug 2004

Dan - you are right - sorry I read your post again and realised you meant 250 per speaker.

We then agree on the increase.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2005

yawn...
                                                          You can do better than that Jeff.

Kalman’s syndrome, n. A disorder characterised by a refusal to admit one is wrong after mistakenly accusing others of misdeeds.

Example:

Q. “Ten of thousands of innocent men, women and children have died needlessly because you accused their leader of harbouring weapons of mass destruction without having a shred of evidence to support your accusation. Will you now apologise to the families of those dead people?”

A. “No, that’s not necessary because I’m suffering from Kalman’s syndrome”.

Q. “Well that’s OK then”.

-- The Devil’s Dumplings, Lady Whiteadder

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2003

Guys!

(You know who you are)

Enough!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more insults - direct or otherwise...

This is not a forum for personal criticism...

Please stay on topic....

Geoff

Comment

• JKalman
                                                              • Nov 2005

It is no big deal Geoff. I think bigburner owes me an apology because IMO he is wrong, but I'm not going to throw a tantrum over it. I'm just going to place him on ignore.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • May 2005

Fair enough, I apologise.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Oct 2003

Hi,

By the way - My source also confirms the 805D.... Though "at a significant price premium"... They are supposed to be something special...

Geoff

Comment

• caleb
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2004

Hello Geoff,
                                                                    If there is to be a 805D - I really don't think that it will just be the diamond tweeter that is added - B&W surely must be making other things better with this speaker?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2003

This is the anniversary year right? maybe we will se a whole new signature series?
                                                                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Pieter
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                                                        Though "at a significant price premium"...
                                                                        $500-750 shy of double an 805S pair I'd wager.

Comment

• JKalman
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                                                          Hi,

By the way - My source also confirms the 805D.... Though "at a significant price premium"... They are supposed to be something special...

Geoff

Great, thanks for checking. My dealer still hasn't gotten back to me yet. I guess with 802D fronts, it makes sense to get 805D backs for better pairing without going completely overboard on 802D or 803D surrounds? Then I can live without a center and subs for a bit while still enjoying surround sound. Next week I'll have saved up enough for the 60" Sony SXRD, now I have to figure out how to sell my 36 inch Sony Wega flat screen tube. :cry: At least I'll finally be able to play the the Xbox360 in all its HD glory, for whatever limited number of titles have 1080i at this point.

My system is slowly beginning to come together. Now if only I could buy a high end source like the Ayre C-5xe and some monoblocks like the Bryston 7B SSTs, I guess that will probably have to wait till next year, for now I will need to spend a lot of money on the wifey to keep her happy with all my purchases. :W

Comment

• JKalman
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2005
                                                                            • 708

Originally posted by Pieter
                                                                            $500-750 shy of double an 805S pair I'd wager.
                                                                            Ouchie... :E Well that is at least $3-4k cheaper than the 803Ds. 8) Guess I'll have to wait and compare them with the regular 805s to see if the difference is significant.

Comment

• dan87951
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2005
                                                                              • 379

#39
                                                                              In my opinion they won't sell well if they price the 805D's at $4500, if thats the case I would be looking at other options for fronts/rears as I think thats a ridiclious price for bookshelfs that I would never pay. Plus I can't hear a difference between the 805 and 805S and the 805S is $500 bux more new? Seems like its more marketing than actual improvements now, but hey thats my $.02
                                                                              dan87951
                                                                              audio guru

Comment

• Guy
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 107

#40
                                                                                Hey audio guru. you mentioned that you can't hear any difference between 805 & 805s.
                                                                                Did you actually compare them side by side with the same equipment? Just looking for feedback since I am thinking of upgrading from N805 to 805s. I heard the 805S which sounded great but have not yet managed to compare side by side with my N805.

I have a feeling that the new 805D will be similar in price to what the Signature 805 was. Here in Australia the Sig 805 sold for around $8,000 AUD. Definatley not cheap for a bookshelf.
                                                                                Last edited by Guy; 05 January 2006, 19:17 Thursday. Reason: additional info

Comment

• dortiz
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 47

#41
                                                                                  A few folks have touched on the issue. The Diamond tweeters are man mad using Chemical Vapor disposition. They take a form and create a pressurized environment, kind of like Superman making a diamond in his hand. They use the form to get the dome shape. It is expensive and makes each speaker retail for about $1500 more.
                                                                                  This is one of the two reasons they did not come right out with the Diamond 805. Trust me every dealer came back going we have taught surround with matching systems and now this? B&W just did not see the sales justification.
                                                                                  The second issue was the Diamond tweeter does change some of the Characteristics. They felt the speaker may need to be a little different, maybe a tad larger.
                                                                                  Word is they are on board. One, to make the surround folks happy and two because they now believe they can market this speaker like the signatures. Probably targeted at Asian Hi-Fi which tends to be more supportive of this market.
                                                                                  They are coming soon.
                                                                                  8)

Comment

• JKalman
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2005
                                                                                    • 708

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by dortiz
                                                                                    A few folks have touched on the issue. The Diamond tweeters are man mad using Chemical Vapor disposition. They take a form and create a pressurized environment, kind of like Superman making a diamond in his hand. They use the form to get the dome shape. It is expensive and makes each speaker retail for about $1500 more.
                                                                                    This is one of the two reasons they did not come right out with the Diamond 805. Trust me every dealer came back going we have taught surround with matching systems and now this? B&W just did not see the sales justification.
                                                                                    The second issue was the Diamond tweeter does change some of the Characteristics. They felt the speaker may need to be a little different, maybe a tad larger.
                                                                                    Word is they are on board. One, to make the surround folks happy and two because they now believe they can market this speaker like the signatures. Probably targeted at Asian Hi-Fi which tends to be more supportive of this market.
                                                                                    They are coming soon.
                                                                                    8)

Thank God! They certainly have made this "surround folk" happy.

Comment

• Pieter
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2005
                                                                                      • 219

#43
                                                                                      Jeff, an aside. How 'bout changing your signature every other day or so and let the rest of them here enjoy some more from Ambrose's satirical quiver.

Comment

• Pieter
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2005
                                                                                        • 219

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Guy
                                                                                        Hey audio guru. you mentioned that you can't hear any difference between 805 & 805s.
                                                                                        Did you actually compare them side by side with the same equipment? Just looking for feedback since I am thinking of upgrading from N805 to 805s. I heard the 805S which sounded great but have not yet managed to compare side by side with my N805.
                                                                                        Guy, I did a comparison between the two about 5 months ago or so; you could run a search in the B&W forum to find that post.

More directly, for me it was more than worth the added $500, just a better speaker all around.

What I deem worth it may not be so in your case, so see if you can have a trial run with them.

Comment

• JKalman
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2005
                                                                                          • 708

#45
                                                                                          Hehe, I will consider it. If they gave me access to the Fora program, I could program an extension into the system that would randomly pick a signature for me each day from a pool of sigs. I already spend so much time responding to things on this forum, I don't have much time for finding new sigs.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"