X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

804D review

Just visited the newsagent today and noticed a hifi magazine had an "exclusive" review of the 804D. I think it was hifi world, but I don't see it on line anywhere so I could be wrong (may need to go back and check), I only flicked through but it was not a long read.

I have lost count of the number of comments that you don't see bad reviews of hifi gear and this one gave the 804D 4 little green dots out of 5 . Yet reading the review it did not read like a 4 star review to me. They found a 6dB peak at 12Khz which they said gave the speaker a bright character, with sibilance and persistent cymbals being the noted sound characteristics. The measurement section went so far as to refer to "so called" high end speakers.

Well I own 705 and 804S and have auditioned the 804D. I used to think the 705 were a little bright but found a number of other factors that did not help in that area. I would say I am sensitive to sibilance and annoying cymbals, which are not a characteristic of my current 804S system, which I am very happy with

The 804D I heard did not scream bright, they did seem open and detailed with what I would describe as a light character. I listened to about 4 or 5 tracks, including a few without distractions while the dealer was talking to another customer. I would only say that the balance was not excessive but was clearly not warm. I wish I had taken "Sweet Jane" by Cowboy junkies. If there is a track that can have annoying cymbals its that one (or was during my systems bright phase).

There are a few 804D owners here, how do you find the balance of your speakers. Its when you live with a speaker for a while that you start to find whether it has inner depths or a superficial nature designed to impress upfront but wear you down over time. 6db is supposed to be quite noticeable and is outside the rated frequency response tolerance of 3dB for this speaker (assuming they measured correctly and they did not test a poor example)
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

PS I just checked the 2005 Secrets of Home Theatre reviews measurements of the "old" 804s. No peak at 12khz on that speaker.

Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• londoner
      • Apr 2009

I've had my new 804Ds for a month now. I listened to a wide range of music on them before buying them and so I expected to like them when I got them home, but I didn't anticipate quite how lifelike they'd sound and also how much more I'd find myself wanting to listen to music after getting them.

I'm listening to some Monteverdi madrigals on them at the moment and it's not only like having the choir at the end of the room, it also keeps drawing me in and distracting me from writing this comment - so I guess that counts as "hidden depths".

Earlier, prompted by your comment, I had a go at listening to some of the brighter sounding CDs I have including the heavily electronic Crystal Castles, and then some other dance music, followed by a bit of Isolde dying. There's certainly plenty of treble when it's there in the music, but I didn't personally find it tiring though. Hard to say by listening if there's a 6dB hump, but orchestras and voices certainly sound natural to me.

Comment

• Pedro
        • Jan 2006

Interesting review, the 804Di would sound more revealing. There are many reviews about the new diamond series especially for 802Di or 803Di they say are a bit more detailed at mid. highs but not bright at all just a bit forward. I didnt have a chance to hear the 800Di but should be a must of speaker with a beautiful flat response, maintaining the traditional timbre :T

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

This is funny, because I find that my 804s are more forward then the 804di I auditioned..
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

I have a pair of 804 diamonds on order (and an HTM4 to match). I listened to several tracks on them and never felt like they were bright. I was comparing them against a pair of Era Design 14s, which is an unfair fight. However, the D14s are (for their price) relatively neutral.

The 804Di's were FAR more detailed, to the point of making the D14s sound like someone put a pillow in front of them. I suppose this extra detail could be perceived as brightness. I did not listen long enough to become aware of fatigue.

I also read the same review and even paid to download the digital version of the magazine to read it, though I can't remember the name or find it myself.

------ update -------

I found the magazine, and it is indeed Hi-Fi World as the OP stated, Feb 2011 edition. The article is titled "Sparkling Diamond". They say of the treble, "... straying far from accuracy."

Additionally, I meant to mention, I put my order in for 2 rosenut 804Di's and was told it would be 4-6 weeks before they came in. That was 2 weeks ago, so I'm counting the days...

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

C'mon Briz. You know you want a pair of 804Di's. You deserve them. The next flood could be the one that takes you away so don't leave it too long mate.

Of course you could take an even BIGGER step up and get a pair of 803D's. You'll never get them cheaper due to all these new Di's flooding the market!

Nigel.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

:lol: I've been told by a fellow audiophile to stop spending on hifi, at least until 2012. He has a point.

Actually the 804Ds present an interesting problem. They are clearly a detailed speaker, and in that respect they remind me of the Signature Diamond. In the past I have said that a speaker can't be too detailed (assuming it was well balanced). Now I feel I need to be convinced before going to a more detailed speaker, partly because my taste includes bands like The White Stripes, which were progressively sounding better until I started refining the performance of my source resulting in a far more detailed sound. While even 80 year old field recordings are still sounding better the White Stripes started to sound worse.

I went back looking for that 804D review and stumbled on the January edition of that same magazine where they reviewed the Martin Logan Ethos. Gave it 5 little dots (worlds I guess) but only recommended it for well recorded music. Hmmm.

I will buy my single monthly (cheap) lotto ticket and will consider 802 diamond if I win big.

PS Big burner, I hear one of those aftershocks over the Tasman had its epicenter at your house on movie night. Fortunately the only rumbling over here was 50,000 fans watching the Roar winning the A-league grand final on Sunday in the same stadium that was flooded in January.

Brisbane Roar scored 2 goals in the final minutes of extra time and won the grand final in the penalty shoot-out against Central Coast Mariners.Read more her...

I should add that we had a magnitude 4 off Innisfail, Nth Queensland today, but they didn't notice it after 6ft (1.8m) rainfall so far this year and 0.5m in the last week.

Comment

• cjm80
                  • Feb 2011

Briz i'm guessing your dealer is Northside Hifi? i bought a pair of 804di from them about 6 weeks ago and love them. They're my first proper hifi speakers so I don't feel experienced enough to offer a detailed appraisal of the sound i'm afraid.

Comment

• ullodea
                    • Oct 2010

I've had my 804Ds for around 3 months now. I agree with the assessment they are detailed (and very transparent, which means any weak links will show up big time) rather than bright, given that well recorded material actually sounds incredibly sweet.

They pair better with warmer (e.g the Mcintosh MC302 amp I just bought) as opposed to cooler gear (the Class D W4S ST-500 the Mcintosh replaced). It's the same reason I'm looking at a new DAC to take over my Dacmagic, which can sound a little too bright and "digital".

All in all I consider it a brilliant speaker, but not one you can slap together with whatever may be lying around in the rest of your system.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

cjm80, yes I bought my 804s from Northside in 2006. What are you using with the 804di?

As for a good DAC, there are alot of choices out there that are very good. If you have deep pockets check out the Weiss DACs or for a more "wood paneled" sound follow the gear list below (only 2 of many options). I don't think you can go over the top with very revealing speakers.

Comment

• dukester
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ullodea
                        I've had my 804Ds for around 3 months now. I agree with the assessment they are detailed (and very transparent, which means any weak links will show up big time) rather than bright, given that well recorded material actually sounds incredibly sweet.

They pair better with warmer (e.g the Mcintosh MC302 amp I just bought) as opposed to cooler gear (the Class D W4S ST-500 the Mcintosh replaced). It's the same reason I'm looking at a new DAC to take over my Dacmagic, which can sound a little too bright and "digital".

All in all I consider it a brilliant speaker, but not one you can slap together with whatever may be lying around in the rest of your system.
                        How're you liking the MC302? I've had mine a few months (my first mac) and it continues to impress. Also impressed by how the sound changed after break-in...warmer, more liquid...w/c is what i prefer (dealer indicated potentially up to 300hrs of break in...). I ask since i too am in the market for a DAC (to pair with my Wadia 171) that will compliment the mac...interested to hear what you decide.
                        McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• cjm80
                          • Feb 2011

I'm using my Mac as a source via the optical out into a Nad T775 av receiver at the moment which I'm sure is holding back the speakers although as I said I'm very happy with things so far! When I've got some money saved up I'll probably get a stereo amp with ht bypass. Do you have any recommendations bris? Given our prices over here what kind of money do you tink I should spend to get an amp that does the speakers justice? Thanks

Comment

• ullodea
                            • Oct 2010

Hi dukester, I really am loving the MC302, though I've only had it around a week now! First Mac amp and it lives up to the McIntosh hype. Powerful, lush sound that (like you) suits me nicely. I was worried about the bass given that was noted as a potential issue on the MC252 but the MC302 is creaming the St-500 in that department.

As for DACs, still forming thoughts on that. Given the rate at which they're developing I don't want to sink too much into the latest and greatest. Am thinking about the Audiolab CDQ transport + DAC but don't want to overload the system with detail (along the lines of Briz' comments above). Also curious about these audio gd dacs that are getting rave reviews in the forums. Pretty open to suggestions myself.

Comment

• ullodea
                              • Oct 2010

Oh and on the topic of DACs, the new Rega DAC also looks really interesting

Comment

• grit
                                • Jan 2005

I've not heard the Rega, but I can get one for a/b-ing in a few weeks. I did not test any other DACs, but I can tell you that I am VERY pleased with my Bryston BDA-1. I've only really ever considered wanting to try a Berkeley Alpha One DAC as an upgrade, but that would cost double what the Bryston costs.

Comment

• ullodea
                                  • Oct 2010

Don't mean to hjiack the thread but would love to hear on the Rega if you audition it grit.
                                  Last edited by ullodea; 25 March 2011, 04:49 Friday.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"