• miner
    • Mar 2005

mains & sub suggestion

My current set up:
    Rotel RC-1090 pre
    Rotel RB-1092 amp
    B&W N804 mains
    B&W ASW800 sub

Currently sub is connected directly to pre and sub corssover set at 60Hz. Mains get full signal from amp. Pre is hooked up to amp with one set of ICs and sub is hooked up with another set of ICs (2 sets of pre outs). My question is would it be beneficial to unhook connection from pre and amp and run a second set of ICs from the sub back to the amp so the mains get only the postion of music crossed from sub? This will require another set of 18' cables. Current sound is very good but I am always looking to tweek for that absolute sound.

Thanks for your suggestions.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi miner,

The issue you will face is that your ASW800's high-pass filter is set at 80Hz and can't be adjusted. So if you prefer crossing over at 60Hz you wont be able to achieve that by using the sub.

I use the 80Hz high-pass filter on my ASW750 and I am very happy with the results. This thread explains why I believe that 80Hz is optimal for the sort of music that I listen to: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=25051

I have experimented with connecting the sub directly to the output of my RC-1070 preamp. 80Hz still worked best for me in that configuration too, so I changed back to using the sub in order to protect my floorstanders when I play music loud. I also believe that by taking the load off my amp I probably reduce the chance of distortion/clipping from my floorstanders.

Nigel.

PS. Are you happy with your RB-1092? The extra headroom must be nice. I'm sure you've posted on this subject but I'm too lazy to look!

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

I was one of the first in Houston to purchase the RB-1092 and I must say I am overwhelmed by this mini-monster. My only problem is keeping my wife from blasting the tunes too loud from the iPod hookup. So much distortion in ripped files. My vinyl set up thrives on the power of the RB1092 although the sub can wreak havoc on the tone arm. I am actually contemplating one more RB1092 and using my RB1070 to complete my 5.1. I would use the RB1070 for the center channel.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"