X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

801D's and Mac!

Hello all,

Downtrodden and ashamed, I present myself in front of you all. After calling the 801 series ugly, I am presented with the opportunity to buy a pair of the older series at a price that sounds pretty good. So I console myself with the fact that I'm sure I'll grow to love those ugly beasts!!!

Couple questions: Is the price any good? It comes to the equivalent of US$ 6,500? It's the discontinued Nautilus.

Second: Will my mac run it? Correction: Will it sound good? Mac MA 6400, SS Integrated.

Help / advice appreciated. Those monsters may not be around for too long.

Fauzi

• Jesse111
    • Jul 2005

Below is a snippit from the review on
    September 2001
    B&W Nautilus 801 Loudspeakers
    by John Leosco

"Just be prepared to pay the price for clean, big power, fine associated components, and a reasonably large room."

Seems to me more like 4000-5000 might be a bit more realistic. But that's just my opinion. You're looking at 2 generations of upgrades since then. The S then the D.

I've never heard them myself. I'm sure they're excellent.
    Last edited by Jesse111; 01 September 2006, 09:38 Friday.

Comment

• Jesse111
      • Jul 2005

You may find this ad interesting.

Comment

• ED K
        • Apr 2005

Saw these same pictures of the 801 months and months ago on ebay. I guess they are trying to do it again!
        Those who know it all know less than those who don't

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jesse111
          September 2001
          by John Leosco

"Just be prepared to pay the price for clean, big power, fine associated components, and a reasonably large room."

Seems to me more like 4000-5000 might be a bit more realistic. But that's just my opinion. You're looking at 2 generations of upgrades since then. The S then the D.

Anyone who stumbles across $4000 N801's need to buy them immediately. That's a lot of quality for $4,000.

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jesse111
            September 2001
            by John Leosco

HI,
            I've heard them. They are ass kickers. For $6000 they are a bargain. Those who think the 800's are the flagship need to hear the 801 series in the proper room and driven with the finest equipment. The experience may change their mind.

Sparky

Comment

• kurtholz
              • Feb 2005

Ii heard them in a friends house once, with there backs against the wall, driven by Levinson 2 channel, and a sony scd1 source, one of the best sounding set-ups i have heard

still makes me mad, the guy did almost a plug and play system, i think the levinson power was perfect for these,even with a chair in front of one about 5 feet out, and a terrible floor plan, the sound was incredible

Kurt

Comment

• fauzigarib
                • Aug 2006

Darn!!!

Guys,

Thanks so much for your responses!

The trouble is, I don't think I want to spring for new electronics just yet. I think that this offer is very good, and i'm sure that I can bring him down to about $5,000... If not a little bit more. But I'm just not able to bring my Mac into an audition and hook them up to the speakers...

So unless and until I hear from you folks about how the mac WILL be able to for sure handle the load of the 801, I'm not sure that I can jump into it just yet.

The other question I have is this: First there was the Nautilus, then the S and now the D, correct? I haven't seen the speakers yet, but he claims that these say Nautilus 801 "S". Is that possible? Or has the Nautilus monicker been taken out for the S series?

Oh, and by the way... Those are some sexy beasts, eh? Can some moderator please delete my earlier thread about them being ugly? Pleeeeease?!?!?

Regards,

Fauzi

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by fauzigarib
                  The other question I have is this: First there was the Nautilus, then the S and now the D, correct? I haven't seen the speakers yet, but he claims that these say Nautilus 801 "S". Is that possible? Or has the Nautilus monicker been taken out for the S series?

Oh, and by the way... Those are some sexy beasts, eh? Can some moderator please delete my earlier thread about them being ugly? Pleeeeease?!?!?
                  First there was THE "Nautilus", then there was the "Nautilus 800 Series" (N80X) then the "Signature 800" series (S80X) (A.K.A Prestige) and finally the new "800 Series" which includes BOTH the 80XS (805S-803S) and 80XD (803D-800D) models. No such thing as a N801S, and yes the Nautilus monicker was removed in the new series.

Fauzi, I commend your open mindedness. It is uncommon to witness one reverse his/her position in a hobby such as this. Even fare Beauty fell for the Beast. :lol:

Sparky, I have seen and heard (albeit briefly) the Beast that is the 801. Indeed it has fallen victim to the mighty 800 slayer. :rofl: OBTW, the N801 never made it to Signature status, but the N800 did. :B

Ironically, I was a big fan of the 801 a decade prior to the release of the 800.
                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by fauzigarib
                    Guys,

Thanks so much for your responses!

The trouble is, I don't think I want to spring for new electronics just yet. I think that this offer is very good, and i'm sure that I can bring him down to about $5,000... If not a little bit more. But I'm just not able to bring my Mac into an audition and hook them up to the speakers...

So unless and until I hear from you folks about how the mac WILL be able to for sure handle the load of the 801, I'm not sure that I can jump into it just yet.

Regards,

Fauzi
                    Fauzi,

For $5K jump on them. Your Mac will drive them. A good Crown or QSC pro amp will do a very fine job too for not too much money. I got an email from a guy who tried ICE Power digital monoblocks and had great results on 802D's. They are only about $1,000 each out of Denmark I beleive. Just get the speakers and don't worry about the new models. I pretend it is still 2003 (the year mine were made).

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"