X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

801D - Ugly?

Don't kill me, as this is just my opinion...

Is it just me or is that 801D (actually, the older 801 also) just one ugly animal?

In my mind, the single 15" woofer just looks slightly disproportionate. And the speakers itself, though I'm sure similar in dimensions to the 800 and the 802, just looks fat!

Is it just me? Seems like in a lot of threads, both the 800 and the 802 are considered, leaving poor 801 in the wind.. is it the looks or am I missing something?

Lightheartedly yours,

Fauzi
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

The 800D cabinet is only slightly larger than the 802D, but the 801D is significantly larger than the 800D. I concur, the appearance of the 801D is completely lost on me too but there are valid reasons for looking the way it does. I believe the 801 continues on primarily for legacy purposes and I wouldn't be too surprised to see its long and historical run come to a close in the next series or two. The 800 has become the new flagship.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• johan
      • Dec 2004

I think it looks cool. The only one that really is proportionate is the 800, 802's woofers looks too small and 801's looks too big. The 800 is perfect.

Comment

• Jesse111
        • Jul 2005

My wife thinks the 800 series all look like R2D2. But of course, she's just a civilian. Personally I think the 802 and 800 are static display poetry. The marlan head is a masterpeice of form and function. The woofs in the 802 and 800 somehow look more symetrical to me. Better lines for my taste. But I sure wouldn't kick an 801 out of bed for eating crackers.

Comment

• fauzigarib
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Jesse111
          My wife thinks the 800 series all look like R2D2. But of course, she's just a civilian. Personally I think the 802 and 800 are static display poetry. The marlan head is a masterpeice of form and function. The woofs in the 802 and 800 somehow look more symetrical to me. Better lines for my taste. But I sure wouldn't kick an 801 out of bed for eating crackers.

Jesse,

I was rolling on the floor with that response! I just had an image of r2d2 laying stodgily in the bed next to you, eating Ritz, reaching over for a kisshy wisshy!

Too funny!!!!

-Fauzi

Comment

• fauzigarib
            • Aug 2006

Rebelman

Rebelman,

I agree with you about the 800D becoming the new flagship. If conversations on this forum are any indication of likes and dislikes of the market in general, I think you're dead on about discontinuing 801 line.

Funny thing is, I just saw the 801 nautilus for the first time yesterday. Someone was selling a brand new pair, packed and everything... for just under $11,000. I told him he's out of his mind, but wished him luck!

Later,

Fauzi

Comment

• caleb
              • Aug 2004

I also agree - I have always preferred the look for the 800 to the 801.

However if you close your eyes and listen - the 801 looks beautiful ! !

Comment

• PavelL
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                if you close your eyes and listen - the 801 looks beautiful ! !
                'cause 801 is for AUDIOphiles...

Comment

• fauzigarib
                  • Aug 2006

Ugly ugly ugly!

Any 801 owners out there want to chime in?

My grand master evil scheme is to convince you that these things are just terrible to look at... Then send one of my cohorts wearing "Official Ugly B&W Collection Staff" badges to knock on your doors! He he he....

-Fauzi

Comment

• fauzigarib
                    • Aug 2006

Ugly ugly ugly!

Any 801 owners out there want to chime in?

My grand master evil scheme is to convince you that these things are just terrible to look at... Then send one of my cohorts wearing "Official Ugly B&W Collection Staff" badges to knock on your doors! He he he....

-Fauzi

Comment

• scottielee
                      • Apr 2005

i think they are lovely.
                      i love big speakers and i can not lie, you other brothers can't deny
                      check out the Tannoy Westminster Royals (4.5'x3.2'x1.8', 286 lbs each). another hottie!

Comment

• WI Rotel
                        • Jul 2006

They are beautiful IMO. Plus, you can get them in a variety of finishes to match your decor! Its a big speaker for a big place. In a smaller venue they look like they are oversized but in a big room they are splendid.

Comment

• Jesse111
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by fauzigarib
                          Jesse,

I was rolling on the floor with that response! I just had an image of r2d2 laying stodgily in the bed next to you, eating Ritz, reaching over for a kisshy wisshy!

Too funny!!!!

-Fauzi
                          Well, you have to admit, the 801 has big bottom end. My kinda gal! :lol:

Comment

• wolfgang
                            • Jul 2006

A woman said it remind her of an awesome fertility stone sculpture ....... as she polish the head gentle. Can't get the image out of my head since.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                              • Jun 2006

Calling my babies ugly right in front of me!!! You could have at lease said 801 Owners, don't read this. The 801's are now sitting in the corners sulking, no wait, I put them there.

Eye of beholder thing. They are about 1/2 of the size of my last speakers and smaller than a pair that I have in a different room. They are also not that much bigger than my subwoofer.

For me, the N801's was a "test the water" thing. I bought smaller B&W's on a whim, liked them, read up on B&W's to learn that the 800, 801, 802 are the top models, found the 801's a week later, left Las Vegas at 11:00 Sunday afternoon, drove to California and was back home at 11:30 that night with the 801's. Never even thought that they were ugly. :B

Chris
                              Attached Files

Comment

• PavelL
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wolfgang
                                A woman said it remind her of an awesome fertility stone sculpture ....... as she polish the head gentle. Can't get the image out of my head since.
                                LOPEZ LOPEZ Jennifer Lopez of the 800 range it is. :rofl:

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

To my understanding, the 801 is THE premier b&w speaker outside of the nautilus. The 802 and 800 were created as compromises to aesthetics and space.
                                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                    • Aug 2006

Really?!?!

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                    To my understanding, the 801 is THE premier b&w speaker outside of the nautilus. The 802 and 800 were created as compromises to aesthetics and space.
                                    I had heard and thought that too... However, the pricing structure doesn't dictate that, does it? I imagine if the price of the 800 is so much more than the 801, it would lead the consumer to believe that it's a better speaker too.

Fauzi

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                      Calling my babies ugly right in front of me!!! You could have at lease said 801 Owners, don't read this. The 801's are now sitting in the corners sulking, no wait, I put them there.

Chris,

Of course we're talking about all the OTHER 801's. Not your babies. Tell them to get the hell out of your corners, and... err... get into mine!!! :T

Fauzi

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Jesse111
                                        Well, you have to admit, the 801 has big bottom end. My kinda gal! :lol:
                                        Jesse!!!

You gotta stop!!! LOLLL!!!! :rofl: My ribs are hurting!!!

Though, I shouldn't complain to you about ribs hurting! I understand the 801's like to be on top!

Fauzi

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

Love those 801's

I'd switch my 802D's tomorrow if I had the room

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                            • Jun 2006

You are a very wise and intelligent person. :T

I actually really like my DM3000's without the grills on. The Kevlar drivers with big grey housings on natural wood is beautiful. Don't have any pics with me that I can post.

Comment

• corbelli
                                              • Jul 2006

YOU have said the correct true!!! :T

Comment

• PavelL
                                                • Sep 2005

A true audiophile performer that shows its studio monitoring background - as summed up by B&W. BUT 801 with its size wont do it for multianal enthusiasts - sorry multichannel enthusiasts . 801 is NOT for audio perverts. :rofl:

Comment

• Indytown
                                                  • Apr 2005

Eye of beholder thing. They are about 1/2 of the size of my last speakers and smaller than a pair that I have in a different room. They are also not that much bigger than my subwoofer.

For me, the N801's was a "test the water" thing. I bought smaller B&W's on a whim, liked them, read up on B&W's to learn that the 800, 801, 802 are the top models, found the 801's a week later, left Las Vegas at 11:00 Sunday afternoon, drove to California and was back home at 11:30 that night with the 801's. Never even thought that they were ugly. :B

Chris
                                                  They look great in black, I think that's their color.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

It "was" premier but it wasn't Prestige, LOL. The 802 was designed to compliment the line. The 800 was the so called compromise. I call it the supplanter. :P

Comment

• jlee
                                                      • Aug 2004

I like the 801's! Of course, u have to have a proper room for it... The 801's do things that the 800 cannot do... the larger single 15" woofer will play deep bass with a little less distortion and in theory, have a slightly smoother bass output curve due to having 1 less bass driver... however, the 800 got upgraded crossovers, tweeter, and FST in the last range (The nautilus series)... I bet that if the 801 got the same treatment, it would be the better speaker in the proper room.

With the new series, I believe the midrange and tweeter and all internal electronics are the same as the 800... so it would be room dependent on which speaker would sound better. They are both great!!!! Unless I had a room that could get the most out of the 801, I would go with an 800 and add a sub... if I could not add a sub and had the room for it, I would go 801.

The 801 is still used in most recording studios if that means anything...

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                                        • Aug 2006

How big of a room!?!?

Hey there,

JLee and others!

How fate loves to play evil tricks on the wicked! An opportunity has come up for me... a brand new pair of higher end 800 series pair of speakers has unearthed... It actually seems like a very decent price...

Of course, as fate would have it... wouldn't you know? It's a Nautilus 801!!! After all the bad mouthing I did, and started this thread, this happens!!!! And I can't resist!

What say you guys? The price on these things, brand new is $6,500 for the pair. Is that any good? Please help out.

The other thing is... I'm still hopeful that I can run these with my Mac MA 6400... anyone think that's possible?

Regards,

Fauzi

Comment

• corbelli
                                                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by jlee
                                                          I like the 801's! Of course, u have to have a proper room for it... The 801's do things that the 800 cannot do... the larger single 15" woofer will play deep bass with a little less distortion and in theory, have a slightly smoother bass output curve due to having 1 less bass driver... however, the 800 got upgraded crossovers, tweeter, and FST in the last range (The nautilus series)... I bet that if the 801 got the same treatment, it would be the better speaker in the proper room.

With the new series, I believe the midrange and tweeter and all internal electronics are the same as the 800... so it would be room dependent on which speaker would sound better. They are both great!!!! Unless I had a room that could get the most out of the 801, I would go with an 800 and add a sub... if I could not add a sub and had the room for it, I would go 801.

I can´t to add anymore.... :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

I like the 801's! Of course, u have to have a proper room for it... The 801's do things that the 800 cannot do... the larger single 15" woofer will play deep bass with a little less distortion and in theory, have a slightly smoother bass output curve due to having 1 less bass driver...
                                                            Vise-versa, the 800 can do what the 801 cannot. The bass response of the 800D may not extend quite to the depths that the 801D can go but it is slightly more dynamic, can also get very low and is very smooth throughout the lower octaves (+/- 4dB from 20Hz to 12KHz from the lab reports that I have seen) and distortion levels have been reported to be as low as 0.03% around the 500Hz mark at 92bB spl (about one tenth of what is typical for most of the industry).

With the new series, I believe the midrange and tweeter and all internal electronics are the same as the 800...
                                                            Actually, the 800D contains a few unique refinements that are not used throughout the rest of the line, namely the Mundorf M-Cap Supreme-Silver/Gold capacitors for the midrange crossover filter. The other models use the M-Cap and/or M-Cap Supreme. B&W attributes much of the performance improvements in the new series to the new capacitors and the superior capacitors found in the 800D may explain why people hear more detail, clarity and soundstaging over say the 802D.

This maybe true, but some of the best use the 800D. :P

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                              Actually, the 800D contains a few unique refinements that are not used throughout the rest of the line, namely the Mundorf M-Cap Supreme-Silver/Gold capacitors for the midrange crossover filter. The other models use the M-Cap and/or M-Cap Supreme. B&W attributes much of the performance improvements in the new series to the new capacitors and the superior capacitors found in the 800D may explain why people hear more detail, clarity and soundstaging over say the 802D.
                                                              This was the case with the N800 compared to the others. Where did you see this info regarding the D line?

Kal
                                                              Kal Rubinson
                                                              _______________________________
                                                              "Music in the Round"
                                                              Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                              http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2006

Probably means they're too hard to move. :W

Kal
                                                                Kal Rubinson
                                                                "Music in the Round"

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                                  This was the case with the N800 compared to the others. Where did you see this info regarding the D line?

Kal
                                                                  In the B&W 800 Series brochure and in a sidebar article in TAS.

Comment

• AptosJeff
                                                                    • Jul 2006

Yea, they're ugly. IMO the 800 and 802 are too. You can't argue with the sound, though. And I'm sure they grow on you after you've had them a while.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2006

In the B&W 800 Series brochure and in a sidebar article in TAS.
                                                                      Is there some way for me to see that? I have the 800 series brochures and books, so all I would like is a page # or directions. I don't read TAS.

Kal
                                                                      Kal Rubinson
                                                                      "Music in the Round"

Comment

• Jesse111
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by AptosJeff
                                                                        Yea, they're ugly. IMO the 800 and 802 are too. You can't argue with the sound, though. And I'm sure they grow on you after you've had them a while.
                                                                        Very astute observation, yes a very insightful and intriguing opinion...

if you're a girly man. :rofl:

You callin my brand new 800D midnight queens ugly?
                                                                        Thems fightin words young fella.

The 800D's are quite beautiful when there sitting in your listening room.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                          • 3139

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                                          Is there some way for me to see that? I have the 800 series brochures and books, so all I would like is a page # or directions. I don't read TAS.

Kal
                                                                          If you flip 16 pages in the hardback brochure you will see on the right page the Mondorf M-Cap Supreme Silver/Gold capacitor. On the left page is the crossover network showing this capacitor and two M-Cap Supremes. On the same page at the top is a small picture of the base of the 800D plinth where the crossover is mounted.

If you did read TAS then you would have seen the article that mentions the different capacitors used throughout the new 800 Series where the 800D employs the M-Cap Supreme Silver/Gold and M-Cap Supremes while the rest are using M-Cap Supremes and/or M-Caps.

Here is an interesting link (Capacitor Test) comparing various capacitors and their observable effects on sound quality. Towards the bottom is the discussion of various Mondorf M-Caps and their relative ranking.

FWIW, The same issue of TAS also includes a comment from the senior engineer at B&W UK that clarifies, in layman’s terms, why the behavior of the diamond tweeter with its extended breakup frequency influences sound quality in the audible range. This is not documented in any of their literature including their "Development of the B&W 800D" whitepaper.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2006
                                                                            • 475

Hey there,

JLee and others!

How fate loves to play evil tricks on the wicked! An opportunity has come up for me... a brand new pair of higher end 800 series pair of speakers has unearthed... It actually seems like a very decent price...

Of course, as fate would have it... wouldn't you know? It's a Nautilus 801!!! After all the bad mouthing I did, and started this thread, this happens!!!! And I can't resist!

What say you guys? The price on these things, brand new is $6,500 for the pair. Is that any good? Please help out.

The other thing is... I'm still hopeful that I can run these with my Mac MA 6400... anyone think that's possible?

Regards,

Fauzi
                                                                            Fauzi,

HA HA!!! ;s@

Same thing happened to me. Looking for N802's and found N801's. I was actually looking for N802's because of the reviews that said that N801's will overpower a room (mine do not but they are in a very large room). I love them and never wished that I had the 802's.

In the USA, the N801's went for $11,000 new (or maybe $12,000 - I don't remember). Used, in the USA they seem to fetch within $1000 of the ones that you found. If you found new ones for $6500 and electronics are expensive in your country, go get them, especially if there is no shipping to deal with! My horn speakers have become second string to my N801's.

What finish do they have?

Congrats.

Chris

PS - Gte ready to start plunking down some $$$ on other equipment..

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2006
                                                                              • 2109

#39
                                                                              If you flip 16 pages in the hardback brochure you will see on the right page the Mondorf M-Cap Supreme Silver/Gold capacitor. On the left page is the crossover network showing this capacitor and two M-Cap Supremes. On the same page at the top is a small picture of the base of the 800D plinth where the crossover is mounted.

If you did read TAS then you would have seen the article that mentions the different capacitors used throughout the new 800 Series where the 800D employs the M-Cap Supreme Silver/Gold and M-Cap Supremes while the rest are using M-Cap Supremes and/or M-Caps.

Here is an interesting link (Capacitor Test) comparing various capacitors and their observable effects on sound quality. Towards the bottom is the discussion of various Mondorf M-Caps and their relative ranking.

FWIW, The same issue of TAS also includes a comment from the senior engineer at B&W UK that clarifies, in layman’s terms, why the behavior of the diamond tweeter with its extended breakup frequency influences sound quality in the audible range. This is not documented in any of their literature including their "Development of the B&W 800D" whitepaper.
                                                                              Thanks. I was aware of the diamond diaphragm behavior from my conversations with same B&W engineer but not about the use of different caps. I will further investigate to see if I can get them installed in my 802ds! Thanks for the other link,as well.

Kal
                                                                              Kal Rubinson
                                                                              "Music in the Round"

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2006
                                                                                • 216

#40
                                                                                Fauzi,

HA HA!!! ;s@

Same thing happened to me. Looking for N802's and found N801's. I was actually looking for N802's because of the reviews that said that N801's will overpower a room (mine do not but they are in a very large room). I love them and never wished that I had the 802's.

In the USA, the N801's went for $11,000 new (or maybe $12,000 - I don't remember). Used, in the USA they seem to fetch within $1000 of the ones that you found. If you found new ones for $6500 and electronics are expensive in your country, go get them, especially if there is no shipping to deal with! My horn speakers have become second string to my N801's.

What finish do they have?

Congrats.

Chris

PS - Gte ready to start plunking down some $$$ on other equipment..

Chris,

That smiley is just toooo funny... I showed it to my wife, who just couldn't stop laughing!

Man, I'm really in two minds right now... I think that I'll be able to convince the guy to give it to me a little cheaper... say around 5k. Which, from what I understand, is a fairly good deal.

However, I'm not yet ready to pay an arm and a leg for electronics. I'm really hoping that the Mac I already have works on it and puts the speakers to kind of a work out... You thiink that's possible?

Thanks for the help, dude... You've really gone out of your way to give advice. I sincerely appreciate it.

Regards,

Fauzi

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2006
                                                                                  • 475

#41
                                                                                  Chris,

That smiley is just toooo funny... I showed it to my wife, who just couldn't stop laughing!

Man, I'm really in two minds right now... I think that I'll be able to convince the guy to give it to me a little cheaper... say around 5k. Which, from what I understand, is a fairly good deal.

However, I'm not yet ready to pay an arm and a leg for electronics. I'm really hoping that the Mac I already have works on it and puts the speakers to kind of a work out... You thiink that's possible?

Thanks for the help, dude... You've really gone out of your way to give advice. I sincerely appreciate it.

Regards,

Fauzi
                                                                                  Your MAc will drive them just fine. You can always upgrade later if needed. Don't worry about it, just enjoy.

Comment

• AptosJeff
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2006
                                                                                    • 75

#42
                                                                                    Jesse111,
                                                                                    Just saw the pics of your sytem on the other thread - awesome! I have to say they do look good if you have the room. I'd probably like 'em just fine if I could afford them.

Comment

• Jesse111
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2005
                                                                                      • 335

#43
                                                                                      Thanks Jeff but it's all good fun and really just personal preference. My wife mocks my beautiful ladies when they're topless and that sexy yellow driver is proudly displayed. She says they look like the march of the penguins and then she walks accross my sound room waddeling like a penguin. It's rather cute actually and I think that's why she does it. But,,, they are growing on her and even she can't deny the quality of music they produce.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2006
                                                                                        • 475

#44
                                                                                        I now love the way mine look. They are black (the ones that I least wanted) and I put the grills on. They now look like Darth Vader knocked up R2-D2, in a good way.

Chris

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2006
                                                                                          • 216

#45
                                                                                          I now love the way mine look. They are black (the ones that I least wanted) and I put the grills on. They now look like Darth Vader knocked up R2-D2, in a good way.

Chris
                                                                                          LOL!!!! :rofl:

And you're telling me that wouldn't be ugly?!?!?

-Fauzi

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"