X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thaile88
    • May 2008

Nautilus (the snail Shape) vs. 800D/801D

Hi everyone!

Has anyone listened to the Nautilus (The snail shape) in comparison with the new 800d and 801d?

If you guys do, i just have some questions.

1: What do you think the bass difference between the 800d/801d with B&W Nautilus(Snail Shape)?

I read a review of a Nautilus owner from Melbourne.
    He said that " The 12" inch bass driver in the Nautilus goes deep and fast but cannot produce the same punch as the 15"inch driver on 801.

So i just wonder " Is the two 10"inch Rohacell bass driver in the 800d can produce better bass than the Nautilus?"

2: How about the tweeter of the Nautilus? (Is it sound harsh? AND HOW DOES IT COMPARE WITH THE DIAMOND TWEETER? Which one you prefer over and why?

I heard that the tweeter of the Nautilus Speakers cant take as much power as the other driver in the speakers so you can run a risk of blown it. IS IT TRUE?

I would appreaciate all reply,
    Thanks,
    Thai
    Here are some picture of the Nautilus (awesome look) Luv it so much
    Attached Files
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

I've only heard the snails once. Sonically, IMO, they simply have no equal.
    Don't fret about the drivers, materials, etc. The "snails" are simply the product of what happens when price is not a factor. It's the Bugatti of speakers, and probably will be for a looooong time since they are pitch perfect through the entire sonic spectrum, its a little hard to get better than "perfect".

Comment

• fredBelgium
      • Jun 2007

It's just the Nautilus is a product of emergency but t'elle the same punch that the 801D? I think not. Having been 802D, 800D and 801D now I can say that the 801D are really good at the grave.
      We must also take into account that the Nautilus is very difficult to run well.

Frederic.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by fredBelgium
        It's just the Nautilus is a product of emergency" Frederic.
        What does that mean? They are the top of the line for that matter any line!!
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• thaile88
          • May 2008

Thank you for your reply guys. Appreciate that. :T
          But for the value of money. Which one will be the best buy between those 3.
          Nautilus, 801d and 800d.

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by thaile88
            Nautilus, 801d and 800d.
            I have listened to 801D, 800D and 802D cost no object the 800D, then the 802D and the 801D. Never heard the Nautilus but I would asume they are even better than the 800Ds!
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Briz vegas
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I have been told by a person who should know more than a little about B&Ws that the Nautilus has been bettered by the current top of the range 800 series speakers. This is one persons opinion of course.

I cannot comment from my own experience as I have only heard 802D, N800 and the Signature Diamond......and my own "humble" 804s of course.
              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• scanido
                • Apr 2006

I personally would opt for the original Nautilus. I would imagine the basis of everything designed after this speaker was on the Nautilus. The exclusivity alone is the appeal of that speaker.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by thaile88
                  Nautilus, 801d and 800d.
                  All three are ridiculously bad buys. Excellent, yes, but bad values
                  nontheless, particularly the nautilus, of course. I'm an old audiophile which happens to particularly happy with a whole set of XT's and a couple of PV1's and the whole ensamble (8 speakers) cost less than one 801D. Does the 801 D sound better, of course! But it certainly doesnt sound 8 times better, not even 2 times better, thus like in everything that has to do with audio, incremental improvements cost almost logarithmically more :E .
                  Unless excellence in audio is the only thing in life to you or your checking account is nominaly in the 6 figures, spending that much in speakers is blatantly stupid. Particularly, since your latest, greatest, speaker of today will be essentailly a worthless piece of junk a decade from now. Simply see how much an original BW 801 matrix is worth now. All audio equipment is essentially disposable money.

Comment

• scanido
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                    Unless excellence in audio is the only thing in life to you or your checking account is nominaly in the 6 figures, spending that much in speakers is blatantly stupid. Particularly, since your latest, greatest, speaker of today will be essentailly a worthless piece of junk a decade from now. Simply see how much an original BW 801 matrix is worth now. All audio equipment is essentially disposable money.
                    Amen to that! :T

The speakers I bought will be with me much longer than a decade though, so that I get every last once of money I put into them. The good thing is, speakers will last much longer than a decade.

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

But, just because the "market" does not value the speaker that high now, it does not mean that the B&W 801 Matrix is a worthless piece of junk! It's still a great speaker, even though it does not have the "diamond" tweeter.

I still have speakers in one set-up that I bought in the 1970's that I wouldn't replace for any reason (except if they crapped out for some reason). IMO, paying up for speakers is the only legitimate long term expenditure in the system.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

All three are ridiculously bad buys. Excellent, yes, but bad values nonetheless, particularly the nautilus, of course. I'm an old audiophile which happens to particularly happy with a whole set of XT's and a couple of PV1's and the whole ensemble (8 speakers) cost less than one 801D. Does the 801 D sound better, of course! But it certainly doesn't sound 8 times better, not even 2 times better, thus like in everything that has to do with audio, incremental improvements cost almost logarithmically more. Unless excellence in audio is the only thing in life to you or your checking account is nominally in the 6 figures, spending that much in speakers is blatantly stupid. Particularly, since your latest, greatest, speaker of today will be essentially a worthless piece of junk a decade from now. Simply see how much an original BW 801 matrix is worth now. All audio equipment is essentially disposable money.
                        Well to each is own, please don't insult people who enjoy audio and video, because they choose to spend their hard earn money if you prefer cars or boat or whatever suits you?

Comment

• btf1980
                          • Aug 2007

Does the 801 D sound better, of course! But it certainly doesnt sound 8 times better, not even 2 times better
                          While I can't really quantify exponentially how much a speaker is better sounding than another, the 801D's at the very least certainly sounds 2 times better than XT series speakers! It's no small margin.
                          A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                            • May 2008

Now, back on topic 8O

The original Nautilus is a statement in terms of design and was B&W's best speaker...untill the new 800 range came along.

The 800D is the best speaker B&W has ever produced. Although the Nautilus utilises an active x-over and is therefore a "active" system, the 800 series loudspeakers are all passive (mind the subs).

If you match the 800D correctly, it is capable of outperforming the most expensive systems. Don't make the mistake to judge them poorly because your dealer is not capable of bringing out the best of the speaker...

NAUTILUS
                            Sounds superbly clean and has a wide an deep soundstage, a pure "podium" representation. Bass is tremendously accurate and very fast/neutral and deep. Voices can sound open and very detailled. It's the perfect cross between a monitor system and a "musical' system. The best of both worlds. Timbres are of the best I have ever heard. Mind the metal dome tweeters...

800D
                            When matched with the right amp this speaker can reproduce the original music in a way that is very involving and addictive. The sound is also clean, open and detailled, but the micro-dynamics are part of a whole musical presentation. The total picture is more important then some details. The magic starts with the diamond tweeters which are completely transparent: you don't hear them anymore. Because of the used material B&W can apply first order filtering, a more coherent sound is the result. More refinement on the kevlar midrange has resulted in the most sibbelant voice reproduction I have ever heard. Each instrument of the orchestra has a single voice with air and the right tone, without sounding analytical.The double rohacell woofers can really kick ass! Tremendously powerfull, accurate and very controlled and with such beautiful layering the 800D can outpower the Nautilus any day in terms of bass output. How low can they go?

Overall the 800D is a much more "musical' performer that can pull you right into the music and let's you forget the hi-fi. The Nautilus is still a piece of art...I've heard that B&W is revising them...so this story will be continued???

:T
                            Diamond Room
                            Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• WI Rotel
                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                              Well to each is own, please don't insult people who enjoy audio and video, because they choose to spend their hard earn money if you prefer cars or boat or whatever suits you?
                              Its not meant to be insulting just "economic" sense.

If your speakers cost as much as a house (snails do)and you (you in the general sense not you) are not Bill Gates or some music producer/executive that it,s pretty self evident that there is some mental deficiency.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                But, just because the "market" does not value the speaker that high now, it does not mean that the B&W 801 Matrix is a worthless piece of junk! It's still a great speaker, even though it does not have the "diamond" tweeter.

I still have speakers in one set-up that I bought in the 1970's that I wouldn't replace for any reason (except if they crapped out for some reason). IMO, paying up for speakers is the only legitimate long term expenditure in the system.
                                I'm reffering to the original 80's and 90"s 801. You can buy them on Ebay for 200bucks. Not that they weren't excellent, but the fact is that old stereo equipment is worthless, speakers in particular since they are the part of the system that most rapidly "degrades".

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2006

Does the 801 D sound better, of course! But it certainly doesnt sound 8 times better, not even 2 times better, thus like in everything that has to do with audio, incremental improvements cost almost logarithmically more :E .
                                  This is highly subjective as such things have no reference scale.
                                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by btf1980
                                    While I can't really quantify exponentially how much a speaker is better sounding than another, the 801D's at the very least certainly sounds 2 times better than XT series speakers! It's no small margin.
                                    I beg to differ take a drive on my whole XT system all of which are powered by 200W rotels (all seven channels) plus 2 PV1's and compare it to 2 801's. Im sorry to inform you but aside from straight stereo reproduction, its not even a contest and even in stereo its not 2X better (maybe 1.5 ). Pop in any CD in dolby or DTS surround and compare it to the 801's in stereo and you'll instantly wonder where all the money went!
                                    I know its an apples to oranges (one is surround the other plain old stereo)comparison but the point is that you can get overwhelmingly better sound with less than half the dough of just 2 speakers. To get something to beat it on the "cheap" with 801s as mains you would spend 10 times the amount of cash, the cost of full 7.1 800 system with 805's as surrounds and the "cheapest" 8 series center channel since of course you wouldnt want to pair diamonds with lesser surrounds! :T

Comment

• Aldo
                                      • Sep 2005

The main difference between the Nautilus and the current 800 series is that the Nautilus uses 8 amps. Much people didn't realiced is how the speaker benefits from that setup.
                                      The Nautilus is Better than any 800 series.
                                      The 800 series is absolutely great. Specially the 800s.
                                      My 2 cents.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Yeah, just ask Aldo. He's one of the very limited number of people here who actually has own both speakers. (sorry Aldo for putting you on the spotlight. :B )
                                        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

I'm reffering to the original 80's and 90"s 801. You can buy them on Ebay for 200bucks. Not that they weren't excellent, but the fact is that old stereo equipment is worthless, speakers in particular since they are the part of the system that most rapidly "degrades".
                                          My A/D/S 910s are still operating like the day I got them over 33 years ago! I also use surround speakers that are 28 years old. Actually, they are sounding better than new as a result of electronics and tweaking upgrades to my system over the years.

I don't believe speakers audibly degrade when used on a regular basis, placed in an environmentally controlled home environment, and not abused. I know mine have not. There is no heat to degrade them like electronics have.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                            • Jun 2006

If your speakers cost as much as a house (snails do)and you (you in the general sense not you) are not Bill Gates or some music producer/executive that it,s pretty self evident that there is some mental deficiency.
                                            Huh? What are you talking about? Your argument does not hold water at all.

At the price point of your system, you are happy with it and feel that it is worth the money. I'm sure that there are many out there that would never dream of spending the amount of money that you have in your "budget" system on audio. On the other hand, there are others who have no problem spending much more and are comfortable with the amount spent, and they are not Bill Gates, a music executive nor do they have a mental deifciency.

To put it in perspective, When I was 19 years old and spent $550 on a new pair of JBL's, it was a much bigger deal (monetarily) than my recent purchase of a pair of Signature 800's.

Was I crazy for spending the $550? At the time I was working, putting myself through college and saving for a house.

Comment

• Aldo
                                              • Sep 2005

My A/D/S 910s are still operating like the day I got them over 33 years ago! I also use surround speakers that are 28 years old. Actually, they are sounding better than new as a result of electronics and tweaking upgrades to my system over the years.

I don't believe speakers audibly degrade when used on a regular basis, placed in an environmentally controlled home environment, and not abused. I know mine have not. There is no heat to degrade them like electronics have.
                                              My so called Nautilus are 15 years old, when I bought them about 2 years now I pay about 40% less than what they cost today.

One very good friend was an a/d/s dealer and he have now the 910s.
                                              They are amazing and today they sound just that way!
                                              I also have a 5.1 a/d/s setup and they are really nice speakers, shame thay are no longer in production.

Comment

• Aldo
                                                • Sep 2005

nontheless, particularly the nautilus, of course. I'm an old audiophile which happens to particularly happy with a whole set of XT's and a couple of PV1's and the whole ensamble (8 speakers) cost less than one 801D. Does the 801 D sound better, of course! But it certainly doesnt sound 8 times better, not even 2 times better, thus like in everything that has to do with audio, incremental improvements cost almost logarithmically more :E .
                                                I like the XTs a lot but for me the 800s not even the 800D sound 1000 times better. :B :B

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Aldo
                                                  I like the XTs a lot but for me the 800s not even the 800D sound 1000 times better. :B :B
                                                  Righttttt :W And I can make Long Dong Silver rise from the grave and cry at MY size :rofl:

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

WI Rotel, while I think you have assembled a nice system for your budget and listening aptitude, more discriminating enthusiast's would be left wanting with a system such as yours. It's unfortunate that you have formed a closed opinion on the subject of musicality which I believe you wouldn't have had you been exposed to some great sounding systems most of which require a large investment. While your primary objective is to achieve great value others are to achieve great sound. Only the naive are sufficiently capable of convincing themselves of something they have that they do not.
                                                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• george_k
                                                      • Jan 2004

I think the snail will retain it's value better than most speakers.

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by george_k
                                                        I think the snail will retain it's value better than most speakers.
                                                        Yes only three years ago they were $40K a pair now $60K ouch, I should have bought them then now it is the price of the Lexus SC400

Comment

• beden1
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                                          To put it in perspective, When I was 19 years old and spent $550 on a new pair of JBL's, it was a much bigger deal (monetarily) than my recent purchase of a pair of Signature 800's.

Was I crazy for spending the $550? At the time I was working, putting myself through college and saving for a house.
                                                          I was in the same boat when I bought my first decent system at 19 - Dynaco separate components and speakers, along with a Techniques turntable. I was in heaven . . . until it got stolen out of my dorm room!

Two years out of college, I bought my A/D/S 910s for about $2,000 for the pair. Everyone thought I was crazy until they heard them. They have cost me an amortized $60.60 per year over 33 years and are still going strong, and I still love them. I wonder what they would have cost today?

As I've gotten back into this hobby again about two years ago, I should have purchased what I really wanted in the first place and never looked back - the B&W 800Ds (the advanced and improved versions of like my A/D/S 910s).

Comment

• beden1
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                                            Yes only three years ago they were $40K a pair now $60K ouch, I should have bought them then now it is the price of the Lexus SC400
                                                            The B&W dealer I deal with in Florida sold a guy 5 of the Nautilus speakers to put around his in-door pool. Very creative thinking!

Comment

• beden1
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2006

My so called Nautilus are 15 years old, when I bought them about 2 years now I pay about 40% less than what they cost today.

One very good friend was an a/d/s dealer and he have now the 910s.
                                                              They are amazing and today they sound just that way!
                                                              I also have a 5.1 a/d/s setup and they are really nice speakers, shame thay are no longer in production.
                                                              A/D/S made great speakers when they sourced their products from Braun in Germany. I also use the A/D/S L300-C surrounds which were made when they were directly affiliated with Braun. It's a shame that company is nothing what it had been back in the day.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Jan 2006

If your speakers cost as much as a house (snails do)and you (you in the general sense not you) are not Bill Gates or some music producer/executive that it's pretty self evident that there is some mental deficiency.
                                                                If "economic sense" is your criteria , good for you. Why , may I ask , are you hanging around a website like this?

I still miss my A/D/S L1530s. :T

self evident that there is some mental deficiency.
                                                                Ummmm.... , ok. Why would I want to sit around a $150,000 house and listen to a $199 JVC receiver? Seriously , I don't understand what you're driving at. Some of us (some) would rather have a $250,000 system and a $60,000 house. Well , I would.
                                                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                Schiit Modi 3
                                                                Marantz CD5005
                                                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

As I've gotten back into this hobby again about two years ago, I should have purchased what I really wanted in the first place and never looked back - the B&W 800Ds (the advanced and improved versions of like my A/D/S 910s).
                                                                  What's stopping you? :W

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2006

Just trying to make a point of judiciousness. Often I even see my "modest" investment as extravagant.
                                                                    Ever read the news, do you have any inkling of what is happening around you????
                                                                    The entire point is that being able to buy something doesn't mean its a wise idea.
                                                                    BTW,personally, I could easily afford the million dollar house and the 60K speakers plus the 150K car, however, I don't think that such lavish expense would make me feel particularly smart on the contrary it would make me gauche. What is the worth of wealth if you're going to live like the poor, from paycheck to paycheck, but simply with more expensive "toys"? A wise man said "a fool and his money are soon parted". If your going to spend 60K on speakers I hope you are able to spend exponentially more on something that has some some actual value, like your local library, museum, school or other worthy investment of excess wealth. Rather live in an apartment with 100K in audio but with 17 locks on the door and 3 alarm systems so it doesn't get stolen, or have a little simpler contraption that is still great but that allows you to lve in a place where you can keep your doors open? Forgive me but I rather have the latter.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                      What's stopping you? :W
                                                                      I figure I'll wait until I can hook up my new/used CAM-350s and give the 803Ds a chance to see what they can do. I just wish I didn't recently audition the 800Ds 'cause they sure do sound good. I've always been a strong believer that speaker size does matter.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2006

I hope you are able to spend exponentially more on something that has some some actual value, like your local library, museum, school or other worthy investment of excess wealth.
                                                                        Fortunately or unfortunately, my wife and I continue to spend a crap load on taxes to support those type of entities you listed. I am also a Managing Director and Trustee of a Charitable Trust, so I do get the wisdom of giving back to those in need.

Where we have a house in Florida, two of our neighbors recently found out they had cancer. They are both in their 70's. The one went right out and bought a Bentley, and the other a Ferrari. The neighbor with the Ferrari has a licence plate that reads "Why Not!" Both of them drive their cars proudly everyday, and really seem to be getting great joy during their times of crisis.

I don't support people spending over their heads without any savings or investment plans. But, if you've got it "Why Not"! Life is too fragile and short not to have something you really enjoy!

Comment

• thaile88
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • May 2008

800d,801d and nautilus

this topic is interesting and difference people have difference opinion
                                                                          but i think now i would go for 800d.
                                                                          Last edited by thaile88; 02 July 2009, 19:08 Thursday.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2006
                                                                            • 657

Fortunately or unfortunately, my wife and I continue to spend a crap load on taxes to support those type of entities you listed. I am also a Managing Director and Trustee of a Charitable Trust, so I do get the wisdom of giving back to those in need.

Where we have a house in Florida, two of our neighbors recently found out they had cancer. They are both in their 70's. The one went right out and bought a Bentley, and the other a Ferrari. The neighbor with the Ferrari has a licence plate that reads "Why Not!" Both of them drive their cars proudly everyday, and really seem to be getting great joy during their times of crisis.

I don't support people spending over their heads without any savings or investment plans. But, if you've got it "Why Not"! Life is too fragile and short not to have something you really enjoy!
                                                                            Sorry to hear about your neighbors, but the truth besides the Bently and the ferrari is that they are both both going to die, in fact we all are, we just live in a fantasy world that we are going to live forever. I know, I give this little speech every day as part of my job. The fact that you are suddenly aware of your own proximal mortality is a poor excuse for, "let me splurge it all while I have time" in my personal opinion that attitude shows an underlying little mindedness, a meaness of heart and a poor grasp of what life should be all about. I'm not advocating living like a monk and giving everything to the poor. Simply that, regardless of your point in the process of life, you should maintain a sense of measure. Particularly in our society, happiness is thought to be determined by what material things you own and display, not because they have any functionality but because we simply want them, why buy a ferrari if you can only drive it like a prius ?????? Sounds pretty stupid to me!
                                                                            Happiness is the absence of want. If your want is never satisfied, as I'm sure will be the case with your Ferrari/ Bently friends, they will still be unhappy and just as dead.
                                                                            Maybe you should buy your friends a copy of The Rainbow Fish and have them read it to their grandkids, it might give them a little more solace and perspective at the end of their life than riding around in a silly guilded carriage.

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2007
                                                                              • 704

#39
                                                                              Sorry to hear about your neighbors, but the truth besides the Bently and the ferrari is that they are both both going to die, in fact we all are, we just live in a fantasy world that we are going to live forever. I know, I give this litle speech every day as part of my job. The fact that you are suddenly aware of your own proximal mortality is a poor excuse for, "let me splurge it all while I have time" in my personal opinion shows an underlying little mindedness a meaness of heart and a poor grasp of what life should be all about. I'm not advocating living like a monk and giving everything to the poor just that. Regardless of your point in the process of life, you should maintain a sense of measure. Particularly in our society happiness is thought to be determined by what material things you own and display, not because they have any functionality but because we simply want them, why buy a ferrari if you can only drive it like a prius ?????? Sounds pretty stupid to me!
                                                                              Happiness is the absence of want. If your want is never satisfied, as I'm sure will be the case with your Ferrari/ Bently friends, they will still be unhappy and just as dead.
                                                                              Maybe you should buy your friends a copy of The Rainbow Fish and have them read it to their grandkids, it might give them a little more solace and perspective at the end of their life than riding around in a silly guilded carriage.
                                                                              Don't you see the irony of this post? You have a full 7.2 set up with B&W XTC speakers and not one, but two pv1 subs. Go and tell the average person how much your speakers and amplification cost and believe me, they will look at you as a guy who is reckless with money and/or crazy. It's all relative really. They could ask, why spend all that money on those speakers when for less than a tenth of what you've spent, you could have gotten a mass market receiver and some Polk speakers and called it a wrap. Let's get off our proverbial soapbox. The very same argument you bring up, someone with a bose acoutimass could level against you.

Life isn't worth living without enjoyment. That's not an endorsement to be reckless and foolhardy, but as long as you have your finances in check, have savings, have retirement funds, have no debt and a roof over your head, then I see no problem at all with expensive hobbies. Every picture i've seen with 800d's, 801d's and 802d's look to be in surroundings that they belong in. I've yet to see anyone post a picture of 800d's being housed in a studio apartment!! Now that would be stupid.
                                                                              A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2006
                                                                                • 1676

#40
                                                                                I give this little speech every day as part of my job. The fact that you are suddenly aware of your own proximal mortality is a poor excuse for, "let me splurge it all while I have time" in my personal opinion that attitude shows an underlying little mindedness, a meaness of heart and a poor grasp of what life should be all about. I'm not advocating living like a monk and giving everything to the poor. Simply that, regardless of your point in the process of life, you should maintain a sense of measure. Particularly in our society, happiness is thought to be determined by what material things you own and display, not because they have any functionality but because we simply want them. Maybe you should buy your friends a copy of The Rainbow Fish and have them read it to their grandkids, it might give them a little more solace and perspective at the end of their life than riding around in a silly guilded carriage.
                                                                                The Hare Krishna mantra

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
                                                                                Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
                                                                                Hare Rama Hare Rama
                                                                                Rama Rama Hare Hare

"About this divinely spiritual Maha-mantra, which delivers one from material existence, the original guru, Lord Brahma, has said: 'The srutis have declared this mantra to be the best means of deliverance in the Age of Kali.' Having heard this from Brahma, all the sons and disciples of Brahma, beginning with Narada, accepted the Hare Krishna Maha-mantra and, having meditated on it, attained perfection."—Ananta-samhita

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2006
                                                                                  • 475

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by btf1980

Life isn't worth living without enjoyment. That's not an endorsement to be reckless and foolhardy, but as long as you have your finances in check, have savings, have retirement funds, have no debt and a roof over your head, then I see no problem at all with expensive hobbies. Every picture i've seen with 800d's, 801d's and 802d's look to be in surroundings that they belong in. I've yet to see anyone post a picture of 800d's being housed in a studio apartment!! Now that would be stupid.
                                                                                  Well said.

Rotel, you really need to go to a forum that concentrates on budgeting and philanthropic pursuits instead of scorning us for pursuing the hobby that is the topic of this forum. Your first step is to your self actualization is to buy a $500 all in one box system and sell your system and donate the proceeds to a museum.

Your avitar of a sports car also should be changed, it clearly contrdicts everything that you are preaching.

Comment

• P-Dub
                                                                                    Office Moderator
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 6766

#42
                                                                                    I've only heard the snails once. Sonically, IMO, they simply have no equal.
                                                                                    Don't fret about the drivers, materials, etc. The "snails" are simply the product of what happens when price is not a factor. It's the Bugatti of speakers, and probably will be for a looooong time since they are pitch perfect through the entire sonic spectrum, its a little hard to get better than "perfect".
                                                                                    This is a great response to the original post.

But now this thread is straying far from the original topic.

Please call it a day on the value and worth. In the end there is going to be no winner, excepted a locked thread.
                                                                                    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Paul Wu
                                                                                      In the end there is going to be no winner, excepted a locked thread.
                                                                                      Simpler to lock an account, no? The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (to borrow the phrase). :W

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • May 2008
                                                                                        • 84

#44
                                                                                        The Nautilus is Better than any 800 series.
                                                                                        Interesting point of view. I think it's all about perception. The recent 800 series (cfr. 800D) has technological improvements that were designed after the Nautilus came on the market. B&W always improves it's speakers. That's why a revisement of the Nautilus would be in place today. The Belgian importer of B&W told me that the 800D outperforms the Nautilus. I did'nt take his word for it (one could, because he has a say in the devolopement process over at B&W, he was a personal friend of John Bowers) and formed my ow opinion after listening to both systems.

Like I said, it's all about perception. The Nautlis is a concept with active x-overs and needs a minimum of 4 stereoamps to power the system. This leans to a monitorsystem, where soundqualities as "neutral", "linear", "transparant", "detailled" etc are associated with. The new diamond tweeter is a new developement that we don't see in the original Nautilus. This meens absolutely no distortion in high frequencies because of a very high breakup frequency. The result: truly transparant highs with incredibel resolving power. In other pure fysics: 1 x 300mm woofer versus 2 x 250mm woofers. The 800D can almost move double the air to produce low frequencies, the bass.

I love every B&W speaker and I'll choose the Nautilus for pure form over the 800D every day, but it's my opinion that the 800D, powered by a Pass X600.5 or X1000.5 can produce a more involving musical canvas than the Nautilus. So it all comes down to personal taste (as usual). The Nautilus is the king of refinement, the 800D the emperor in organic, physical sound.

I hope that this helps a little in discribing the differences between both concepts...

Diamond Room
                                                                                        Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• Aldo
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2005
                                                                                          • 448

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Marco Lisi
                                                                                          Interesting point of view. I think it's all about perception. The recent 800 series (cfr. 800D) has technological improvements that were designed after the Nautilus came on the market. B&W always improves it's speakers. That's why a revisement of the Nautilus would be in place today.

I know that saying that the Nautilus is better than any 800 series was a bold statement. :B The Nautilus is completely different speaker to the 800s but one thing is for shure, even though that the diamond tweeter is BETTER wich I agree, a speaker could not be measured only on one drivers technology but as a full component.

Do you know that the Nautilus is driver upgradable?
                                                                                          It could be very easy to upgrade the Nautilus to a Diamond tweeter because the speaker was designed to be upgraded.
                                                                                          Each driver is tasted and corrected via the X-over. When you punch a driver they send you a chip that you need to change manually at home and that corrects any deviation from that new driver.
                                                                                          They can put a Diamond tweeter any day (Imagin who from the 300 Nautilus pair owners would not upgrade) if that was what they want.

No 800 series is tasted, measured and CORRECTED like the Nautilus.
                                                                                          The technology the Nautilus has is very different, the magnets are a very rare type, the upper mid has no button, leaving the airflow right to the tube.
                                                                                          They are not just aluminum like must of us believed, it is specially made thinner for the upper drivers and harder for the bass.

I can tell you more and more about why taking about technology, it is not enough to say that the Diamond tweeter has a higher breaking limit.

The Nautilus wasn't made to the public but to have a reference to make all that technology you are talking about, in other words they made in the ears of John a perfect speaker which do not compromised anything.

That say the 800 series is a downgraded version of the tube loaded Nautilus.

That does not change over time, a speaker that sound right will still sound right no matter if the new model is More. Better. Bigger, etc.
                                                                                          Thats why some people got offended with the pice of junk Matrix comment.

Now :B that said, and as I told everyone when I received the Nautilus, Stop worrying that much on all the technology a speaker has, just get your ass to a showroom and audition all the speakers you are thinking about, erase all that super duper information the companies are trying to dent in our brian and LISTEN.

Then bought the best speaker that your budget can give you :B .
                                                                                          You do not need the so called great Nautilus, better buy a lot of music, tons of CDs and enjoy what ever speaker you pick. :B :B :B :B :B :B :B

All this hobby is about the music, when we talk about what much you should spend in each component we always forget that the main component is our music collection.

Sorry if I Jerry Maguire my self or if I offended anyone :toilet:
                                                                                          Last edited by Aldo; 24 May 2008, 08:39 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"