Introducing Myself And Questions (MATRIX 801 SERIES III)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorgitox
    • Feb 2007

Introducing Myself And Questions (MATRIX 801 SERIES III)

Hi everybody!

As many of you, the Matrix 801 were a dream from the very beginning, when falling into Hi-Fi clutches. Years have passed and finally I could bought a pair of 801 Series II second handed (white ones), while now I also got another pair of 801 (black ones), but in Series III. Here is a pic when listening to them (not perfectly positioned in the picture attached, but...):

When comparing both Series sound, I was astonished with the differences... they really sound in a totally different way! Firstly, I was impressed with the Series II sound-stage and near 3D vocal dispersion, but after trying the Series III (I got to say that in the first listening tests, they sounded boring to me (they sound the way they were released: studio monitor sound), but my taste is changing from one minute to another. Maybe the Series III is more domestic Hi-Fi in instead of the "pro" sound of the white Series II ones. Even including same mids and near the same tweeters (I know they are a little different to each other), the way the crossover works, make them sound totally different. Of course, the woofer snap (motivated by Cobex material) is maybe less impressive, but controlled. Maybe I will keep the Series III over the Series II. Have you tried them? how's your taste between both Series?

Here goes another question: One Series III woofer tends to make a little noise when low frequencies are present, but not all low frequencies. One example is when Jheena Lodwick performs Phil Collins "A Groovy Kind Of Love". Here is the album cover:

Well, when this song starts, at medium/high volume, one woofer makes a noise similar to a nail touching the woofer when moving. I have pushed a little bit the woofer, and I hear a little friction, like if something inside, but slight. One experience is that when I hold the external side of the woofer (Cobex maybe?), the noise disappear. Have you had something similar with your 801? If yes, give a little whistle .

Another question: apart from beauty, would you change a pair of Matrix 801 Series II/III for the new Nautilus 801/801D? I mean, because of sound (not for trading or elite furniture).

Here is my email in case you were interested of telling me something
    jorgepyp@gmail.com
    Last edited by Jorgitox; 01 March 2007, 08:17 Thursday.
    Best regards,

Jorgitox.
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

You are hearing the voice coil rub. Get the woofers fixed before you do more damage.

Was the woofer re-foamed recently (replacing the surround)? If the woofer is not aligned properly, you will have a rub.

A friend of mine bought a pair of Matrix 801 III's. I heard them and was very impressed. I would not worry about upgrading. If you like your speakers, keep them.

Comment

• Jorgitox
      • Feb 2007

Matrix 801 Siii

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
      You are hearing the voice coil rub. Get the woofers fixed before you do more damage
      Hi DM3000;

Firstly, I want you to thank a very quick reply.

I have surfed on the Internet looking for the possible failure you mentioned in your post. I really ignore what kind of sound a voice coil rub is capable of, so I really don't know if it is possible or not. I am the second owner and, as long as I know, previous one was not a heavy or hard rock enthusiast. Whatever, that is what he told me (he has now upgraded to 801D).

In case the woofer was suffering from this failure, could be easily fixed? I mean, could I repair it by removing the woofer and checking it? In other words, is this serious or just a routine of maintenance?

Was the woofer re-foamed recently (replacing the surround)? If the woofer is not aligned properly, you will have a rub.
      I don't think they were opened, but that's something I also ignore. My electric notions are limited, so I don't know how could proceed in case that just opening and screwing again I am not able to fix it up. As I said in my first post, the noise is minimum and sometimes only listenable when bringing my ears near, but perfectly perceived. Jheena Lodwick first song, just when starting at high volumen, it's noticeable the problem. Another clear example is the very beginning of Mezzanine's Massive Attack album. Just few CDs out there have shown this failure.

A friend of mine bought a pair of Matrix 801 III's. I heard them and was very impressed. I would not worry about upgrading. If you like your speakers, keep them.
      Yes, they are pretty ones (including the Series II edition). I will keep them jealousy!

Thank you very much again,

Jorgitox.
      Best regards,

Jorgitox.

Comment

• Fife
        • Apr 2004

....A friend of mine bought a pair of Matrix 801 III's. I heard them and was very impressed. I would not worry about upgrading. If you like your speakers, keep them.
        I agree.
        Upgrading Matrix 801 -> 801D is a huge investment.
        Big price difference and more power required. You are probably looking at ~6x the price difference.

Comment

• gross30
          • Jun 2005

Jorgitox, if you like the sound keep them. I also have the series 3 801 matrix and really enjoy them. I see yours are on stands also. Big difference. Haven't had any issues with them. I plan on upgrading them within the next year or so to an 800 or 801 newer model, and some newer monoblocks for amplification. You will enjoy them for years to come. :T

Comment

• Jorgitox
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gross30
            Jorgitox, if you like the sound keep them.
            If I had space enough, I would not have to choose between the black and white, but the lack of space impede keeping both pairs. It's supposed that Series III are an improvement over its predecessor, but they are really different speakers for different tastes and places. Maybe Series II got more punch and allows more power from amp, but when a piano start to play, Series III have no point of comparison, and even go down than previous Series II. All in all, SIII sound more natural and fatigueless, but spectacular. I am seriously thinking of finally go for the Series III (it's easy for getting spares from B&W, still availables, speakers are newer and will last more, etc.) in instead of the SII. After many hours comparing both Series, I could define the sound of the Series II like a BMW (power, forcefulness, life-like sound-stage presentation, watts eater), while SIII sounds like driving a Mercedes (stability, control, etc.). Whatever, depending on somebody's taste, a Serie or another could be better.

I also have the series 3 801 matrix and really enjoy them. I see yours are on stands also. Big difference.
            Yes, stands help to put the woofer centimeters away from the floor, increasing accuracy and an obvious low frequencies control. Stands were hand-made following the Sound Anchor's outline, but not exact. Whatever, they look so good.

Haven't had any issues with them. I plan on upgrading them within the next year or so to an 800 or 801 newer model, and some newer monoblocks for amplification. You will enjoy them for years to come. :T
            I have no plans on upgrading my speakers, but I should choose between the two pairs I got at home (2 pairs in a little flat, no way). I am running them with a pair of monoblocks from Vincent, model SP-991Plus (300W/8Ohm, first 100W working in Class A). Preamp is an ELECTROCOMPANIET EC 4.7MKII.

The oldest and largest Norwegian manufacturer of HiFi equipment.

Best regards,
            Jorgitox.
            Best regards,

Jorgitox.

Comment

• Jorgitox
              • Feb 2007

I forgot to say that the noise has gone! I was pushing the woofer and, at least for the moment, there is no problem with low frecuencies.

Thanks for the help supplied!
              Best regards,

Jorgitox.

Comment

• gross30
                • Jun 2005

Nice mono's Jorgitox, I use an older set of Classe 15's as mono's. Lots of power and run nice and cool. Great sound. I listen to a lot of older music, and some of the recordings are not that great and the S 3's definately let you know.

Comment

• Jorgitox
                  • Feb 2007

Nice mono's Jorgitox, I use an older set of Classe 15's as mono's. Lots of power and run nice and cool. Great sound. I listen to a lot of older music, and some of the recordings are not that great and the S 3's definately let you know.
                  Hi gross30;

The Vincent's are too much for their retail price, that is why I have gone for a pair and I could't be happier with the results. Apart from old recordings, I have improved over my S 2's the sound of pianos... the difference between both Series is really notorious, maybe not better one from the other, but I really feel that S 3's outperform the very awarded S 2's.

Regards from Spain,

Jorge.
                  Best regards,

Jorgitox.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"