X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

Distortion - low volume

I have 803's and am really enjoying them. (Under !)Powered by Pioneer AXA5i which will soon be replaced.

Even with the Pioneers they sound very good. 125+- WPC and I have never had a problem with clipping / distortion even at moderate volume.

Yesterday I purchased a new recording of one of my favourite CD's. Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells 2003. On the main track, at fairly low volume there is a 5 second piece of base that my one speaker distorts. Why? Can it be a problem with the recording?, Speaker (NO), or what.

What can I do to check this out?

Thank you

Kobus
    • Nov 2005

HI Kobus,
    You can determine if the problem is the speaker or further up the equipment stream, including the recording, by simply reversing the speaker leads on your amplifier left for right. If the problem moves to other speaker, the problem is not your speakers and you must look elsewhere. If it remains in the same speaker it's the speaker.

Have you noticed any problems with other recordings? In the same speaker? Good Luck.

Sparky

Comment

• Kobus
      • Aug 2005

Thank you for the advice. I have now isolated the problem to the recording.

1. If I hear something tha sounds like distortion, can it be a problem with my CD only or will it be in the master?

2. Can this "distortion" damage my speakers or is it only true distortion that can cause damage.

I will go and check out another CD at the shop.

Thank you

Kobus

Comment

• misterdoggy
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

A distortion from a CD can't hurt your speakers.

A distortion resulting from something electronic is different

I'd bet its probably either the CD or you are hearing things in recordings that you never heard before because of the quality of the reproduction.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"