X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sisu
    • Jul 2009

Solved: Tweeter distortion from my almost-finished Modula NeoD CC

[Edit] The tweeter distortion problem was fixed by moving the RCA inputs to my receiver to the "CD" input, instead of the "Phono" input.

This is my first time with DIY speaker building, and I have quite enjoyed the ride.

After researching and talking about it, I dove in and bought all the parts necessary to build one center channel speaker according to the schematic and BOM posted by Jon Marsh.

So when the parts arrived, I broke out my soldering iron and hot glue gun, and assembled the crossovers. I connected everything up to the drivers outside the speaker box for testing first, connected them to an amp and turned it on at a very low volume to see if something goes boom.

When I turned up the volume to a whisper-level, I was delighted at first that everything worked, well at least at first... I put my ear up to each of the two woofers, the mid, and the tweeter, and sweet music was coming out of each. After about 30 seconds when I was satisfied everything was ok, I tried turning up the volume just a little bit, at about the loudness of somebody talking softly, and then I heard a bit of cracking/buzzing and popping distortion sounds coming from the tweeter only when there was a bass hit. The woofers and mid sounded completely fine. I turned down the volume back to where it was when I started, and the distorted bass from the tweeter continued, although quieter. I start to suspect something is wrong with the tweeter crossover because tweeter should not be asked to create booming bass.

I turned off the music and the amp, unplugged the leads, triple checked all my solder joints, re-tightened all the distribution block connections, and combed through all the circuits to be sure I hadn't mis-wired something. Couldn't find anything wrong. Plugged everything back in and turned the music back on, and the sound was clear again... for about 10 seconds, then the distortion came back from the tweeter. Makes me wonder if something goes wrong once the crossover capacitors have a chance to charge up?

During assembly of the tweeter crossover I did notice two discrepancies.
    1. The first is that R14 in the schematic indicates 12 ohm, whereas in the BOM it still says 6 ohm, although this was clarified by ThomasW that R14 is indeed 12 ohms.
    2. The second is that L6 in the schematic says 1.2 mH whereas in the BOM , L6 is a 1.5 mH Jantzen coil PE part #255-426.

Images not available

I bought what it says in the BOM, given that I see what looks like a 1.5 sticker on L6 of Jon's crossover.
    In addition the diagram below also shows 1.5mH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ModNeoD-T2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	948094

Image not available

"NOTE the value for the C6 cap in the schematic above should be 6.8mfd, not 6.0mfd. This correction is noted in the C6 value posted in the block diagram and BOM of post #7"

Since I am having a problem I even wonder if the capacitors used in this crossover only work properly in a certain direction? i.e. have I wired one or more caps backwards? I tried to build it in the same way as Jon did, except I put two caps (20 uF + 15 uF) in parallel instead of a 35 uF cap. I also used a single 2 ohm resistor for R12 instead of 2 x 1 ohm resistors...

Could somebody please look at my tweeter crossover and let me know if it looks fine or if I have done something dumb?

Images not available

More photos of the tweeter crossover from various angles (warning: 5MB each)

Images not available

Any advice what to try next to figure out what is wrong would be greatly appreciated!

[Edit] The tweeter distortion problem was fixed by moving the RCA inputs to my receiver to the "CD" input, instead of the "Phono" input.
    Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 13:01 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

The clue you give about the tweeter buzzing distortion with the bass hits suggests that the problem is more likely with wiring the woofer circuits, for example, and the tweeter is just reproducing the distortion generated in the amplifier, possibly from too low an impedance load due to mis-wiring.

Because of the effect on the woofer impedance and behavior, I do NOT recommend testing with drivers out in the air; they should mounted in the enclosure and then run the wires outside to the crossover filter boards.

Please photograph single pictures directly from above that will facilitate verifying your connectivity against the schematic for all of the crossover board assemblies. What you've posted above may be OK for looking at some individual solder joints, but we need to assess possible problems at a higher level- basic connectivity.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sisu
      • Jul 2009

Thanks Jon for the fast and excellent advice!

I rechecked all my circuits and just when I was about to lose hope, I went outside for a while to get some fresh air, and believe it or not, a little bird landed next to me and tweeted "SEEEE-DEEEEE... SEEE-DEEEEEE!!!"

I went immediately back inside to try out a different pair of RCA inputs on the receiver; I had plugged in my audio source (a portable IPAQ PDA plugged into a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable) to the "Phono" input RCA jacks, and when I moved the RCA cables to the "CD" input of the receiver, the distortion disappeared! I have to turn the volume dial up quite a bit more to get the same loudness now, but it is perfectly clean now.

I'll work on mounting them in the enclosure, and hopefully I can post a success story soon.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"