X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jericho
    • Dec 2004

Problem with ASW-855

Since a few month's I have problems with one of my ASW855's.There is a sort of hum in the speaker and it already has been sended back to the technical service by my dealer in the Netherlands.I recieved it back but after some time the problem came back.It's like someone who turn's on the light in another room which gives distortion in the speaker.There is nothing wrong with my electric circuit because the second sub (also ASW-855) is connected to the same outlet.In may the electronic unit from my sub was sended back once more to the technical service and when it came back it was even worse.Switching the amps proves that there is something wrong with the electronic, and not with the speaker itself.I also noticed when I took the amp out once again, that a small corner of the electronic plate was broken where it is fixed to the second electronic unit below.I'm absolutely sure this was caused by the people who did the repair.I took contact with my dealer once again and he told me B&W was going to change the complete amp of the speaker.I was happy with the exchange until yesterday when I got a phone call telling me that they are once again doing a modification on the print.It seems that B&W had some problems with the first series of ASW855 and they now have a solution.It's now already a couple of months that this unit is out.I'm not very pleased with it and I think B&W could do some effort to change the complete speaker, it's still under warranty.I already drove 4 times to the dealer which is almost 600 miles to solve this problem.
    I saw on the amplifier unit inside a small paper with the notice "ASW850"
    I'm wondering if there are others here on the forum with the same sort of problem??
    Is it normal "ASW850" inside the ASW855???
    Maybe Aldo do you have some experience with this sort of problem???
    What would you guys do???
    Attached Files
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

I do believe the 850 & 855 use the same amplifier. B7W will take care of you - let your dealer fight the battle for you.

Comment

• Aldo
      • Sep 2005

I once had the same problem with another sub brand and it was a loose silver soldering of the amp, it seems that with the high vibrations that the sub produce with time, some times happends and in my case that was what produce the hum.
      I also had that problem with my ASWs but it always had something to do with the electric supply, "bad ground instalation".

Comment

• jericho
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Aldo
        I once had the same problem with another sub brand and it was a loose silver soldering of the amp, it seems that with the high vibrations that the sub produce with time, some times happends and in my case that was what produce the hum.
        I also had that problem with my ASWs but it always had something to do with the electric supply, "bad ground instalation".
        Thanks for your reply Aldo but I'm sure it's not a grounding problem!

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

miner is right in that the ASW850 and ASW855 use the same amp. The only differnce is the driver itself. The enclosure is the same as well.

It does sound like a bad solder joint or ground in the amp itself. Contact your dealer and B&W directly and they will take care of it for you in sure.

Best of luck.

Eric

Comment

• jericho
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by hifiguymi
            miner is right in that the ASW850 and ASW855 use the same amp. The only differnce is the driver itself. The enclosure is the same as well.

It does sound like a bad solder joint or ground in the amp itself. Contact your dealer and B&W directly and they will take care of it for you in sure.

Best of luck.

Eric
            My dealer already sended the unit two times back to B&W Netherlands, and still the same problem!!!

Comment

• Gremal
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hifiguymi
              Well, there is the key difference of the paper/kevlar vs rohacell/kevlar cone.
              Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
              Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
              B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
              VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
              Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• nick.h
                • Jan 2006

Which is better?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"