X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevek
    • Oct 2011

distortion problem

hey guys i hope some one can help me with this.i have cm9 cmc2 hooked up to a onkyo tx sr605" temporarily" and a denon3312 out for repair do to these issues wich obviously wasnt the problem i have direct tv,denon 3800bdci,denon dvd2200.i use tributaries speaker cable, hdmi and interconnects.and i just purchased a panamax 5300pm in hopes of solving my problem
    the problem is harshness or distortion mostly in the high frequencies and voices.the first month i had the speakers i did not hear this.sometimes its worse than others.. i had totally lost the soudstage and everything was kinda muddled
    i first thought it was my speaker cables laying on an old monster surge protector because it improved a little after i cleaned all that up".sound stage returned" witch lead to the purchase of the panamax.
    i know im not crazy and something is not right,anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks steve
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Well....I don't know where to start..... or what to say. I do not understand most of what you have just said or where you are going,,,,or want to go. All I got from all this, is that you have some distortion problems...that's it!!.

Please re-post and be very specific about what you have (CM9 ??), how it's setup, cables, connections etc......what's happpening, in what mode...etc...
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• stevek
      • Oct 2011

sorry its hard for me to describe.
      the set up
      cm9 and cmc2 hooked up to a onkyo avr txsr605.the cm9 are b iamped using tributaries speaker cable,the cmc2 is also using tributaries just not bi amped i have the dvd 2200 hooked in to the avr with rca interconnects just for sacd and dvd audio,the dvd 3800 is hooked into the avr with tributaries hdmi and the direct tv tuner is also via hdmi.all of the power cords and the cable are run to a panamax.5300
      i am hearing i guess distortion or harshness mostly in the high frequencies,voices crackling loss of detail.
      when i first hooked up the speakers the sound was amazing then something changed.i dont know what it is or what happened.
      it can be heard on all three speakers and with any format,tv,sacd,dvd,cd..
      i thought i had a problem with my avr witch is a denon 3312 witch i sent in to be looked at.
      im lost as to what may be causing this and i hope i explained this better.

Comment

• stevek
        • Oct 2011

ok i guess im not good at explaining my issues.
        any suggestions on steps to take to isolate the problem.
        again i hear high frequency distortion with everything i play.
        it is very subtle but it is there.
        i believe i have eleminated electrical being that i purchased the panamax
        could it be in speaker terminations,i have mostly tributaries but i have a few others that i believe are made of silver not gold like the others.
        i also have in ceiling surrounds that i have not been up in the attic to check.
        could a problem with one connection cause distortion in every channel
        any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Have you tried isolating each component and testing them individually? Or try the "wiggle test". Manually shake (gently) the cables and wires while you're hearing the distortion to check connections. Also try to determine if one (or both) tweeters are damaged. That last may be made easier by removing the jumpers on the speaker posts to better isolate the circuit. Post back and let us know what you find from these checks. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here , so you should be able to get some help. Good luck!
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• stevek
            • Oct 2011

i have the speakers bi amped
            i just finished cutting the power to each component and tried to find it that way.
            right now whatching direct tv its seems to have cleared a little but it always seems to come back
            when i pause a component and turn the volume all the way up i hear a loud buzzing noise.i go from source to source doing that and it seems to be there sometimes and sometimes its not.
            i unplug and plug back in and wiggled around the hdmi cords and i can hear audible sounds inside the speakers.
            i think it could be coming from my dvd 3800 but im not sure.
            this is very frustrating
            i also fear it could be maybe the crossovers in the speakers
            i have absolutely no experience with audio equiptment.lol

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I don't know if it's relevant , but plasma TVs bleed energy. Enough to make HAM radios act stupid to the point of unusable in some cases.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• stevek
                • Oct 2011

i have a mitsubishi dlp?

Comment

• stevek
                  • Oct 2011

i may have found my problem.
                  something seems to be wrong with my denon dvd 3800.i have it is now powered off .it used to always be on stand by
                  i still detect noise when i swith my receiver to dvd multi witch is where it is hooked up.it still has power connected.next i will pull the power cord and see if it totally eliminates the hum.
                  do this sound logical that the dvd would be sending interference to all formats even when standby mode.

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Ground loops can do funny things. Sounds like you're on the right track , though.
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Most 'hums' are due to power issues. re-plug ALL your gear into a different plug and be SURE that the polarity is correct and that the receptacle is GROUNDED!!.

Another thing you mentioned is that your surround wires are up in the attic. Hummm.....worrysome!. Try disconnecting the surrounds from the amp
                      and play the system without them to check if the 'sound' is still there. It's all about the process of elimination, kind of like the Scientific Method really.

However, and at the end of the day, most 'hums' and other weird noises are due to something wrong in regards to power.

Comment

• stevek
                        • Oct 2011

thanks guys for all your suggestions,,im still on the hunt for the ghost in my machines.i have decided to wait for my denon to be returned to narrow it down,i dont think the cm9s like the onkyo to much.i have ripped everything out at least twice changed out speaker wires etc.driving me nuts.
                        i guess my next step will be contacting direct tv to see if there may be a problem there and then into the electrical system of my house.
                        again thanks for your suggestions.
                        maybe i need to go ahead and get an amp and see what happens.
                        steve

Comment

• Gianluca
                          • Oct 2008

Hello,

If you think it is a ground loop then disconnect anything that is not necessary. Plug them all in one at a time, chances are it will be the directv since it has another ground source.

Next I would eliminate the BI-AMP setup and keep it as simple as possible. One source and one amplification to start then maybe go back to BI_AMP. I would also make certain that the + and - are not reversed.

Luca
                          Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Just for S & Gs , bypass the M*ster surge protector and see what happens.
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• sleddogg
                              • Mar 2008

Take everyting over to your best friends house and try it there, if it works, trade houses with him.
                              B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610
                              Rotel RSP985/Rotel RMB1095/Rotel RCD1072

Comment

• dukester
                                • Sep 2010

I had this problem (hum) twice. First occurence was due to poor quality RCA cables. Second, as Gianluca suggested, was the dvr/cable box. More specifically, the coax cable. Try using a better shielded cable into and out of your Panamax...worked for me. Good luck...
                                McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

All the above suggestions are great except for Sleddog's, which is not really viable!!. I like the 'simplify' one quite a bit also. Just use a slow, process of elimination method to find the problem and you will find it I'm sure.

Comment

• stevek
                                    • Oct 2011

i kinda like sleddogs suggestions.i have tried about everything except checking the houses electrical and the directv.i was also thinking about the speakers being mag. shielded or not.thats where im at.
                                    ilast night i was thinking about it possibly being cable line related.i remember directv guy having some issues in other rooms
                                    this problem has probably always been here but my old speakers"def tech bp7002 may have covered it up.
                                    you guys are a lot of help thanks,i guess the good thing about this mess is i will learn a few things along the way.
                                    as for mag.shielding i noticed last night that when i put the dvd player in pure direct it seemed to clean up a little and i spaced the speakers about a foot away from the electronics.
                                    may be more than 1 issue.i will find it eventually

Comment

• stevek
                                      • Oct 2011

well i think i have got it.i made the brilliant move of sliding the speakers out about 10 inches further from all my gear and imagine that it clears up.boy i could have saved myself a lot of frustration doin that from the start.live and you learn.
                                      had to have been a shieding issue i guess.
                                      thanks for everyone help i think i have learned a little along the way

Comment

• Alaric
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

That's one of the things that makes these forums great. We all get to learn things. I know a lot more than I ever would have picked up just by personal experience. Glad you got it sorted out!
                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                        Marantz CD5005
                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2010

Very interesting Stevec!!......glad you fixed it.

Comment

• stevek
                                            • Oct 2011

thanks guys,it seems to be over,i still hear the humming when i have the dvd switched to stereo but its when its paused and the volume is all the way up.i was told that that is common.
                                            i plan on purchasing an emotiva xpa 5 or i saw a upa 7 on audiogon by the end of the month and im sure that will make things even more pleasing

Comment

• stevek
                                              • Oct 2011

great news all my problems have returned,sounded good for about 4 days.maybe i am just goin crazy.direct tv coming monday maybe they will find something.lol

Comment

• madmac
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2010

By moving the speakers, you moved some 'stuff'....wires etc.....there is a lot of wires in today's setups so your problem is undoubtedly in your wiring somewhere. Keep plugging along buddy...... You'll find the problem sooner or later!!

Comment

• Stoney
                                                  • Dec 2004

I had a vaporiser that would cause a hum on my sup amps (even when they were in standby). The vaporiser was actually on the second floor of the house and my system was on the ground floor on the other side of the house. That same house was at the end of a cul de sac. When the neighbor was using power tools, my lights would dim. To get to my point, could be something outside of the system causing noise on the input power.
                                                  Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                                                  Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                                                  B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                                                  DM602 S2 Surrounds
                                                  DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                                                  CC6 S2 Center.
                                                  ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• madmac
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2010

When the neighbor was using power tools, my lights would dim. To get to my point, could be something outside of the system causing noise on the input power.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you've got some major power issues my friend. Maybe it's time for an electrician???. 8O

Comment

• Stoney
                                                      • Dec 2004

I have moved. Problem solveed.
                                                      Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                                                      Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                                                      B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                                                      DM602 S2 Surrounds
                                                      DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                                                      CC6 S2 Center.
                                                      ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• madmac
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2010

Well now that's a solution !!! hehehe!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"