I need power for my 803 and HTM3, please help.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

I need power for my 803 and HTM3, please help.

Hi, I am fairly new here, after frequenting avforum.

As a result of a long story, which might not interest you, I am sitting with a huge problem.

I own a prized pair of 803 + htm3 as centre. The sad part is that I am sitting with a fairly new Pioneer AX5AI to drive them. They can not drive them, they can not move them.... I was warned, but not understanding "the talk" I thought that 110/120 watts is what was required. Dammmmn. All I have is wonderfull treble & midrange, zero bass. I am struggling not to use more harsh words.
    What do I do now!!!!!

Firstly, basic specs sucks.

Now I have learned about load tolerance etc. (costly lesson f)
    What options do I have, I am at the start of investigating, Rotel, Krell, Classe, $$$RRR.

I have read a lot what you guys have to say, but help or comments will be appreciated.
  • Stockinv
    • Jan 2005

Check out Audiogon.com You might be able to sell your equipment and buy something else without too much pain.

Comment

• scottielee
      • Apr 2005

make sure your speakers are set to "large" on the pioneer, otherwise it might be directing bass signals to the sub output.

Comment

• springer49
        • Oct 2004

I run my 803D's and HTM3 with an Earthquake Cinenova 3 channel amp and they sound great. You can find these fairly cheap. Mine brand new was $1200. Look on audiogon or e-bay for used.

Comment

• Kobus
          • Aug 2005

Thanks, firstly set to large or small, it is much of a muchness. The power to give punch or any amount of decent bass is nor there.
          Secondly, I think selling something secondhand here in South Africa might not be as easy.

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I don't know what you going to get for your Pioneer, but lots of International sales take place on Audiogon. You can also pick up 220-240v equipment second hand. I thinnk you are pretty underpowered and you'll need 200w and up IMHO. Remember its not only the watts that count either. 200w class "A" Krell power is not the same as 200w Pioneer. There's a lot more to read up on.

Comment

• georgev
              • Jul 2004

Hi Kobus,
              Welcome on board. Congrats on your new purchases.
              Yes I think that the pioneer might be underpowered for your speakers, but as was said before, check out the settings on your amp. Set it to large for your fronts as this would send power for a full range speaker.
              Another option would be to keep the pioneer and get a decent second hand power amplifier to drive your 803's. You would take a connection from your R & L pre outs of your pioneer and connect to your power amp which would then drive your speakers.
              Second hand values in RSA are low but a good site to market and to buy is www.avsa.co.za Go to the classified section.
              You would need a decent power amp. though. Not all watts are the same.
              Cheers,
              Georgev

Comment

• georgev
                • Jul 2004

As a follow up,
                New products in RSA do cost a fair amount, and you could save yourself quite a few quid if you were to get a good second hand power amp.
                You wiull also find out that when you drive your front two through a power amp. you would have a lot more power for the centre and the rea speakers.
                Check out the Rotel 1080(might not be adequate), if you can get a used Proceed Amp 2 or prferably an HPA 2. Check out the local Vave audio power amps too.
                The krells and the classe's start to up the ante but also cost fairly more.
                Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"