X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wild Bill
    • Jan 2006

New B&K and B&W 803 set-up

Greeting Nerdlings.
    It was nice to find this forum. I knew there had to be a B&W forum out there and sure enough....
    I'm not going to profess to be an experienced audiophile but just an enthusiast I suppose. So any comments on my sey-up are greatly appreciated. Yes, I realize the positioning of the couch in relation to the speakers might not be ideal but that's what I have to work with. Initial impression is that they are way more detailed than the Klipsch RF3's that these 803's have replaced. I've also noticed that any minor issues in a recordings really stand out. A lot of my live shows may be unlistenable at this point. The center channel is very full sounding but not quite as detailed as the boston center i had. Maybe my ears aren't sophisticated enough at this point. Soundstage is definitely wider. Way more seperation between instruments. My only gripe is that they sound a wee bit harsh at times. This is either because they've yet to truly break-in or it's the match-up with the B&K amp and pre. Ive heard from others that the 7250 can be a bit harsh but I've never noticed it till now. Are there any other B&K/B&W owners out there? Hopefully the pix will attach

Set-up:

Rosenut 803's
    HTM4 Center
    400 Watt Energy Sub
    Klipsch Surrounds (left over from the Rf3's that the 803's are replacing)

B&K Ref 30 Pre
    B&K Ref 7250 Amp - 200x5 channels
    Adcom GFA5400 2x125watt amp (powers boston RM50's in the kitchen and JM Lab's Magane Carat in living room)
    Adcom GCD700 Disc Changer
    Polk Audio XM receiver
    Monster HTS3500 conditioner
    Tibutaries Silver bi-wire speaker cables
    Samsung 56" Pedestal DLP
    Russound multi room volume controller
    not pictured - Tascam DA-20mkII DAT
    Attached Files
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Hello Bill and welcome to the forum! :later: That is a really nice setup you have :T , some folks think that the B&W's tend to sound a little bright or harsh, this should diminish somewhat over time when they break in a little. Another thing that would really help in that area is maybe some type of treatment for your walls, your room with all of its hard surfaces can reflect a lot of sound which can lead to a harsh sound. There are many companies who specialize in panels that look good as they work. Or if you are handy you could make them yourself. Sometimes proper room treatment can yield you more results than an equipment change.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

you have a nice clean setup. id like to put my rack out of the way, but the cost of the long speaker cables kind of makes it prohibitive for me as i chose to put that money into other parts. i might do it eventually though!
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Wild Bill
        • Jan 2006

Thanks for the replies guys.
        i've thought about some treatments.
        i guess i figured the couch would act as a deadener of sorts.
        and yes, the speaker cable length was an issue. because of the way my room is set up, and because of the size of the tv, this seemed to be the only way to set it all up. So rather than spending the money on matching B&W surrounds or an upgrade in my dvd player, i opted for some decent cables. tributaries made these custom (35 ft) and didn't charge me extra for the added length. They were the same price as the 4 meter ones in the store.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Hi Wild Bill,

Welcome to the forum. You can post your photos of your system here

Everyone would like to see it and you can look at everyone else's system too.

Comment

• MFox
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Wild Bill
            Greeting Nerdlings.
            The center channel is very full sounding but not quite as detailed as the boston center i had. Maybe my ears aren't sophisticated enough at this point.
            I had the same front combination like you until middle of this week. I replaced the htm4s there with a htm3s and it made a big difference. The sound of the htm4s is nice and I liked it, but after installing the htm3s, I now think it matches the 803s perfect. It filled a hole. Maybe it would give you that clearness you're searching for.

I got told by the dealer, that the htm4s are supposed as a center if you use 805s as front speakers. If you use 804s/803s the htm3s is the center to go for.
            Michael

Comment

• JKalman
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
              Hi Wild Bill,

Welcome to the forum. You can post your photos of your system here

Everyone would like to see it and you can look at everyone else's system too.
              Nice setup, the room looks immaculate.

Please take the time to post your pictures on the thread misterdoggy mentioned above. There is a great collection of pictures in that thread, many of the forum member setups are there. Welcome aboard, from one fairly new member to another. :B

Comment

• Wild Bill
                • Jan 2006

Thanks guys, Ill try and post these to the photo set-up section.
                I just checked it out and there are definitely some suite systems in there. The 801s and 802 set-up are insane. i cant even imagine what that sounds like.

Comment

• ColoKurt
                  • Mar 2005

I have 802N's with a B&K Ref 50 Pre and the B&K 7250 Amp and I'm very happy with the sound. I don't think it's harsh at all. The 7250 has a very good reputation within its price range.

Comment

• Wild Bill
                    • Jan 2006

No question the 7250 and the ref 30 are great pieces. i guess i was just questioning the match with the 803's.

Comment

• plangco
                      • Mar 2006

B&W's are harsh at times

B&W's are indeed harsh at times as that is their nature and imperfect recordings only exaggerate that (50% of what is out there) as well as CD players and certain amplifiers (Krell, Denon, etc) that are prone to have a bright tonal bias. I have heard that the new B&W S series and D series improve on that a little. A more analogue type sound from more analogue amp or cd player setup or quality EQ may dull that sharp annoying edge a little and cause you to relax and enjoy the music more. I might start with a good EQ first. Try a tube CD player and or even a good Harmon Kardon Amp which has a nice smooth sound if it won't infect your system (has a built in automatic EQ sadly no manual) and you may be surprised and how much more you relax and enjoy your music. Good luck.

Comment

• dknightd
                        • Mar 2006

They take awhile to break in.
                        Your room looks very hard. A bigger rug might help.
                        If it does you might look to adding wall treatments
                        at the first reflection points.
                        The FST midrange driver makes for intersting discussion
                        , In some ways it is vey good, in other ways not so good.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
                          Your room needs more than minor tweeks. A major rethink is needed if you want to get the best from your very good system. You really need to add soft surfaces. Pay special attention to the early reflections paths. Rugs, drapes, thick wall hangings will all help soften and focus your sound. Then you can concern yourself with bass issues but get the midrange and treble right first.

Sparky

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"