X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raymond
    • Apr 2005

did i make a mistake??

i am setting up a ht theatre in my basement with a dlp front projector...i already purchase a pioneer elite vsx-56txi receiver and a pioneer elite dv-59avi dvd player..i now want to purchase b&w speakers, possible n804's, and am starting to think that the pioneer receiver at 110w per channel may not be enough power to drive the b&w's...is this true...maybe add an amp to the pioneer?? or will this be good enough...also are these speakers a good choice for 70/30 movies(dvd's), music...are these speakers more musical...any input will be appreciated....thanks
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Not necessarily. I demoed the 804S in both 2CH and HT setups with a Rotel RSX-1056 (75 wpc) receiver and it seemed to perform just fine. However, Rotel is usually pretty conservative when it comes to their (amp) ratings, meaning they usually do better than stated. Pioneer owners can speak better about this though. You can add an amp but try your receiver first.

I also believe the 804's will do very well meeting your HT requirements. I suspect that you will also be using a sub? No problem!
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• aphexist
      • Jan 2004

Nautilus speakers generally should be driven by a separate high-current amplifier. I have found that the 804 opens up around 200-300 wpc from a good amp.

Comment

• ti33er
        • Apr 2004

I will second aphexist! ...75/110wpc will drive the 804S, but you wont be getting the best out of them i.e. they will sound a bit flat IMO.
        "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Mark_C.
          • Jan 2003

The assumption that the 804s can't be driven by 100 watts per channel is quite wrong in my opinion. The 804s are very easy to drive. I believe, however, you'd be better off with a 75 wpc Rotel receiver over any Pioneer receiver, just because you can't trust the rating claims of Pioneer or any of the other mass market receivers. I use a 100 wpc Classe integrated to run my 804s and have been for three years without issue.
          If you're not satisfied with the Rotel, add an outboard amp. But don't worry if you aren't running 200 wpc.

Comment

• raymond
            • Apr 2005

since the pioneer is brand new i will be forced to use it ...i mainly bought it from all the positive reviews, and i.link with the dvd player...so ...i guess i will try the speakers with the receiver and then add an amp to it...i guess a rotel amp seems to be the most popular choice with these speakers...i will look on audiogon for a good used amp..i was thinking of buying a svs sub...anyway you guys are great!!! i'm really not that knowledgable when it comes to home electronics, but i do love it...i read as much as i can and try to demo before i buy....thats why these online speakers, which seem like a great deal might be but you can't demo them without it costing a few bucks to return...

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"