X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Pioneer VSX27TX Elite THX Receiver

I have lived with this unit for six months now. Like most things in life, it has it's pros and cons. But, so far the pros have been winning the battle.

When I started looking a new receiver, I knew that THX was something that I wanted. I own a Pro-logic THX processor (which I moved to the bedroom) and enjoyed the results. I first heard the little brother of the 27TX the 24TX. It is a THX Select model vs. THX Ultra in the 27TX. Anyway, I listened to Kenny Loggins- Live at the Redwood. The 24TX was running through some Paradigm Studio 40's. It was breath taking to say the least. The only bad part was, I was still short on the cash! Well, fast forward a few months and the new models were intoduced and I can now afford to step up to the 27TX.

These Elite receivers are pretty to look at. They are even better to listen to. While I do not like the way Pioneer rates the power on 27 and 29 models (in to 6ohm instead of 8ohm) I find that it more than fills my 13x11x8 room. Rated at 120wpc @6ohm. My speakers are 4ohm. The Pioneer seems to to have no problem making them sing. And while we are talking wattage, the receiver does tend to get rather warm but, not hot to the touch. I do keep it on an open rack mounted on top. And the bass has authority!

This model comes fully loaded. Features are not a short coming hear. The key features for me was the Burr-Brown DAC's, Phono input and RF demodulator.

In my home, I have run the 27TX with my M&K 750THX speakers and my Infinity 2000.5 (same as the RS-4). It sounds good on both however, better on the M&K's. When I first got it I thought the sound was sort of laid back compared to other units that I have used. Now I feel that it is very neutral. It will sound bright if the source is bright, it will sound warm and refine if the source is that. Most movies be it DD, DTS or Pro sound as wonderful as any theater.

I don't think that I can really give a fair evaluation of in two channel performance. One, I am a novice in 2ch, two, most feel that the speakers that I own aren't very musical. I will say that it meets my stereo needs and I have no complaints.

The remote has allowed me to consolidate my vcr,dvd,ld and tv into one. I even have a few macros set-up. Qne of which powers up tv, dvd and receiver and opens the dvd drawer. It is not a pronto by any means but, it is better than most.

Cons:

Some have had a heat related problem that makes an IC's solder fail.

I have found that in Direct Mode my subwoofer is still on. I use this mode when I listen to 2ch. It gives the cleaner sound than stereo. I also am using my ld player as my cd transport via digital coax input. The sub being on isn't a problem for me but, it maybe for others that rather their 2ch be totally pure.

Well, I guess I have rambled enough.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Top!
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"