X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChiefKeefe
    • Jun 2006

Receiver Suggestions

I can't stand it anymore, I must upgrade from the Sony STR-DA3ES receiver.

I've narrowed it down to the Denon 4306 or the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi.

I don't see that I would get anything extra (that I need) from the Denon that is worth the extra $500 it would cost to get it from an authorized dealer ($1999 + tax from the "Home Theater Store" that is 15 minutes away). I can get the Pioneer Elite 84 from "Star Power" or "Best Buy Magnolia" for ~$1500, but they will have to order it (so no immediate gratification).

I'm ready for any and all advice (data driven or subjective/aesthetic reasons). For example, I've read that the Pioneer Elite 74 dropped to only 52 Watts per channel when driving a 6.1 system, but I like the THX certification of the Pioneer Elite and hope that the 84 model won't have the same power issues. The Denon model with THX certification is out of my price range.

What do y'all think? Thanks in advance for any and all comments.
    ChiefKeefe
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Yamaha rxv 659!!

Hello Cheif,

Take a moment to check out Yamaha's rxv-659. This baby won all the awards last year. Paying around $500 for $2000 sound. Someone put the wrong chips in this receiver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• ChiefKeefe
      • Jun 2006

Thanks, but...

...I want to use the receiver to do HDMI switching from the Denon DVD player and the DirecTV receiver. Right now I have HDMI from from each of those direct to the Sony SXRD display with digital optical from each to the receiver. This gives me a slight lag between the sound and the picture with some HD sources. With an HDMI capable receiver, I can run the HDMI from each to receiver and HDMI from receiver to display. I also like the upconversion to the 1080i offered by the Yamaha 84.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Wow, the Pioneer elite does upconversion? Sounds like a deal. Even though HDMI 1.3 was just released yesterday and hasn't been incorporated yet into consumer equipment, that should give you the capability to switch all current equipment and do what you need.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• ChiefKeefe
          • Jun 2006

Cut/Paste from a description I found...

The flagship model, the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXVi, is a 980-watt beast that features four — count 'em — four HDMI inputs on the back for connection to one of those fancy new Blu-ray or HD DVD players (although Pioneer, one of the companies deeply entrenched on the Blu-ray side of that format war doesn't mention HD DVD for some reason). It can also upconvert other video signals — like whatever's coming out of your DVD player or cable box — to HDMI, meaning you only need to have one cable running to your TV for both your digital and analog signals.

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

ChiefKeefe,

Here are a couple of URLs you may find helpful:

Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi

Denon 4306 reviews

I personally like the options that the Pioneer Elite provides, Genesis DCDi Faroudja video scaler, iPod integration, XM Connect & Play, and a USB port.

It also seems that the Denon may experience some HDMI issues, as per one user's report, which you may want to further investigate.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• ChiefKeefe
              • Jun 2006

Response...

I'm leaning heavily towards the Pioneer at this point.

I must defend the honor of the Sony DA3ES, however. It was my first surround sound receiver. It gave me 5+ years of joy. It's a solid peice of equipment for a <$1000 av receiver. How can any thing that's almost 50 lbs and has a cool blue light on it to indicate a 5.1 signal be bad? Seriously though, I have enjoyed looking at the DA3 for years and the Denon just looks too sterile to me. I know that may sound weird, but perceptions are valid (especially when you're investing this much cash into something).

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"