X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprakash
    • Jan 2005

804s vs. N802 dilemma

Hi everyone,
    I am in the upgrade mode and like some others here, am trying to decide between the outgoing Nautilus series vs. the incoming ones.
    Currently I have N804, HTM1 for the fronts, 602s for the rear, and an SVS sunwoofer, driven by a Bryston 9BST and a Meridian 565 pre/pro.
    Usage is 90% movied, 10% music.
    Room size is roughly 28'x18', sitting about 15' from the front speakers.

I can upgrade to 804S + HTM3S for about $1200.
    Then the dealer threw this in - upgrade the N804 to N802 for 2600.

I have never really auditioned the 802 so I would appreciate if some of the more experienced people can help me with some suggestions.
    Also - since movies is the main criteria, would it be better to apply the funds towards upgrading the pre/pro?

TIA,
    SP
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I have only heard the 802 in a 2 channel setting. It is definately an amazing speaker. If you can swing it, I would recommend that upgrade. A speaker like that will actually make you more interested in listening to music. I heard a pair at my dealers shop on an 180W Krell amp and was blown away, so Im sure they only sound better on higher rated amps.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• sprakash
      • Jan 2005

Thanks sikoniko.
      Unfortunately my dealer does not have any N802 set up to listen. I will try and see if their other local branches have a pair to listen to.
      I am definitely tempted to get the (old) (almost) top-of-the-line vs. new technology but lower end model. And I love the marlan mid-range sphere.
      Also, there is less discount (than usual that they give me as a regular speaker upgrader) since these are brand new models.
      All of these factors weigh in for the N802. Now all I need to make sure is that I still get the one year upgrade policy my dealer has.
      Maybe next year I can think of the 'D' and by then maybe get the usual discount from them.
      ;-) Honey, could you get me a 'diamond' for our anniversary this year? I got 'em for you last year.

Cheers,
      SP

Comment

• DanR
        • Dec 2004

Not really a dilemma if you've heard the 802's.
        :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"