X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

Used N804 worth $2500??

Hi. I am contemplating getting a used pair of N804 for around $2500. I really watned to get the 804s but cant swallow the thought of spending $5000 on speakers. So here is my question: are the n804 worth $2500? In other words, for the quality they offer, am I getting a deal or can I get something comparable for cheaper? Are the 804s worth double the price? I know people in this forum has said that there is a difference between the two speakers. Unfortuantely my local dealer does not have n804 for me to listen to. I have heard the 804s and love them. Also, the 805s are right around the $2500 range with stands. So my other question is, are the N804 better than the 805s?

Am I better off spending the money on some new rotel gear (rsp1068, rb1080)?

Here are my options:

1. 804s
    2. N804 + rsp1068 + rb1080
    3. 805s + rsp1068 + rb1080

Thanks for the help.
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

I purchased my N804 a few months back right after the Diamond models came out. I offered the dealer $1400 each and he accepted. For $2800/pr I can not justify spending the extra $$$ for a newer model. I am quite happy with my purchase. I do believe the 804 are a better overall speaker than the 805.

Comment

• akhter
      • Jun 2005

Paid $2700 for a new N804. Paying a little less (2200-2500 incls stands) for new 805s, didn't make sense, and I refused to may $4000 for a marginal improvement (at 40% price increase).

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Simply answer... yes.

Edit: I didn't realize you asked 'used'. They are very nice speakers, and I doubt you'll look back once you purchase them. What speakers do you have now?
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• weijst
          • Jun 2004

I got new N804 for 2300. Your price of 2500 for a used pair of N804 is not exactly a bargain... Depending on the state ofcourse, I think you should be able to get a hold of a decent used pair for say 2100...

Futhermore: option 2...
          Last edited by weijst; 29 June 2005, 18:47 Wednesday.
          Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• tboooe
            • Jun 2005

Thanks for the reponse everyone. Just to be clear, N804 are still better than 805s??

If so, than I think I will be going with option 2, N804 + rsp 1068 + rb1080 (for now). Then I will add the the rmb 1075 as I build my ht system.

How do I get NEW N804 for $2300?? Thats a bargain!

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

804's are full range speakers. there will be better sound over the 805's, s's or not.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                • Mar 2005

To me the advantages of moving up to the N804s over the 805Ss are the FST midrange and the additional woofers. That said, even though the N804s are considered "full range", they do benefit from bass augmentation from a sub. I didn't know how light the N804s are in the bass area until I mated them with a Velodyne HGS12II. Now I won't even consider running my N804s without a sub.

As far as the price is concerned, I think you're on the upper end of what I would consider reasonable for used. I got my first N804 pair for $1800 used with a set of the tall Sound Anchor stands thrown in. My second pair I got from my local dealer for $2000 but they were demo units.

Comment

• aphexist
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tboooe
                  How do I get NEW N804 for $2300?? Thats a bargain!
                  It's a bargain, but it is also unlikely that you will get close to that for new-in-box speakers. That would represent a discount of about 35%, and most people will agree that B&W dealers rarely go much below 10% for the 800 series. Since the Nautilus range is now discontinued, I think 20-25% could be managed for a new pair. A dealer will also tax you on new speakers.

You can pick up an unblemished pair of Nautilus 804 on Audiogon for $2000-2200, depending on the finish.

Comment

• weijst
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by aphexist
                    ...is also unlikely that you will get cl0ose to that for new-in-box speakers. That would represent a discount of about 35%, and most people will agree that B&W dealers rarely go much below 10% for the 800 series. Since the Nautilus range is now discontinued, I think 20-25% could be managed for a new pair...
                    That's not entirely accurate... Try the distribution centre; they might still have a pair of discontinued N804 new in box lying around somewhere. I did have to cope with the fact the serial numbers were not consecutive (33... and 35...), but the speakers' veneer did not differ beyond the usual dissimilarities found on a pair of speakers...

Comment

• tboooe
                      • Jun 2005

weijst:

what is the distribution center? how do i get in touch with one? is there one in socal?

Comment

• miner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by weijst
                        That's not entirely accurate... Try the distribution centre; they might still have a pair of discontinued N804 new in box lying around somewhere. I did have to cope with the fact the serial numbers were not consecutive (33... and 35...), but the speakers' veneer did not differ beyond the usual dissimilarities found on a pair of speakers...
                        My serial numbers were off by +700 and the veneer matches great. I initially complained and when a rep came out to see he said there was nothing he could do since the finish matched so well. There is a close-out center in the houston area that sells discontinued/demo units used in The Home Theater Store.

Comment

• aphexist
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by weijst
                          Your spelling of "centre" tells me that you are somewhere in Europe, which means you probably think that we are talking about Euros. I think most people here are referring to American dollars. Your price of 2300 Euro is approximately $2783 US Dollars.

The North American distribution for B&W/Rotel/Classe does not sell directly to the public.

Comment

• weijst
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by aphexist
                            Your spelling of "centre" tells me that you are somewhere in Europe, which means you probably think that we are talking about Euros. I think most people here are referring to American dollars. Your price of 2300 Euro is approximately $2783 US Dollars.
                            Granted, cenTRE is the English way of spelling (as we are taught in the Netherlands). However, B&W has never made any distinction between Euro's and Dollars, as their speakers have always been the same amount in both dollars and euro's, no matter what the exchange rate was. (For instance, a pair of 804S costs $2000 as well as EUR2000... A fact that frustrates me). I am positive my point would have been equally valid about three years ago, back when 1 euro was only 0,89 dollar...
                            Bottomline, as a new pair of N804 would have set me back EUR3600 (just as they costed $3600), I was lucky enough to recieve a 36,11% reduction. I believe tboooe should be able to recieve a reduction in dollars within these regions too.
                            (FYI, the N804 I recieved were not originally from the states...)

The North American distribution for B&W/Rotel/Classe does not sell directly to the public.
                            Neither does the distributrion centre/center where I got the information. They told me I could only buy them via an authorized dealer, so I called one nearby. Ofcourse they were more than willing to sell them to me, as they did not have to do anything other than accept my cash and cut off a small amount of profit for themselves. (B&W delivered at their store, I picked them up 1 hour later )

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"