X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sorpe
    • Jan 2005

Nautilus 803 power amplifier

Hello,
    I'm about to buy a Nautilus 803S as a first mile in my audio project. However, I do not really have in mind any amplifier that can honorably drive the pair.

I have good inputs about rotel and mc252.

Open for sugestions. (70% classic, the rest rock/pop, )

sorin
  • KEF
    • Aug 2004

I am currently running a RB-1080 with my 804s, I have heard this unit and the RB-1090 driving 803s effortlessly. The Bryston 4B-SST would also be a great unit for those speakers - it is what my local dealer uses on their demo set-up. I have heard 802s driven by a Krell KAV-2250 as well - quite nice...

Don't forget about your pre as well....

Cheers,
    Keith

Comment

• caleb
      • Aug 2004

Amp for 803's

Regardless of the make. it MUST have at least 250 watts per channel or your 803's will not get up and dance for you.
      Caleb

Comment

• Twincam
        • Feb 2004

Some suggestions:

Classé Delta CP-500 / CA-2200 (very expensive though..)
        Bryston BP26 (new preamp) / 4B-SST
        Rotel RC1090 / RB-1080 or 1090

I must partially disagree that the amp MUST have 250W per channel or more "to dance". I have listened to the new Classe Delta combination above together with 803's, and it sounds absolutely fantastic despite "only" 200W per channel.

Kindly regards

TC

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

My older superb Aragon 8008 @200w per channel @ 8ohms does extreme justice for my 803's. My Rotel 1075 amplifier did not do do so.
          Stan

Comment

• DanR
            • Dec 2004

I don't think you can go wrong with the Rotel RB-1090. I have it driving my N802's and it sound fantastic!!!!
            :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Sorin,

If by the mc252 you mean the McIntosh 252 integrated Amplifer it's a great choice (if you can afford it!). 250W of very clean power and legendary McIntohs reliability and resale value...

However it is an integrated pre-amp and amplifier - great for stereo listenning but not such a good path if you want to upgrade to Home Theater later... (you haven't said you wanted to do this but I thought I would mention it...)

Otherwise I second the Rotel RC-1090 and RB-1090 or 1080...

Geoff

Comment

• Mark_C.
                • Jan 2003

A slight correction: the MC252 is a two-channel amp, 250 watts per channel. And that coupled with the 803s would be a dream.

Comment

• Fraise
                  • Dec 2004

back when i had the 803's i was using a classe CAV-180 paired with a classe SSP-60 and they sounded great. a huge improvement over the SAE 100W/channel i was using previously

Comment

• Wesley
                    • Jan 2005

803D power question

Newbie here, (first post) so be gentle. I have followed this forum for quite a while and finally decided to build my own HT, so I had to jump in here.

I have been wanting to upgrade my speakers for over 15 years and when I heard about B&W's new line I had to pull the trigger. Went with a pair of 803D's and am anxiously awaiting their arrival! But after reading some of the posts above, you guys have me a little worried.

I plan on powering the 803D's with my existing Lexicon RV8 (140wpc). However you guys have me concerned that I'm not going to be able to push them enough to maximize their performance. I'm building my HT component by component over time, so waiting to upgrade to more power is always an option, but who wants to wait? Do I indeed have a power mismatch here? If so, does it just effect the performance of the 803D's or could it harm my new speakers in any way?

I thought about bi-amping the RV8 (I do have two zones at 140w each I'm not using) but can't find any documentation on how to do it (if it can be done) and frankly I'm not comfortable experimenting with either my RV8 or new 803D's if I don't know what I'm doing here... and I don't!

Any suggestions on how best to deal with this power mismatch (assuming that I have one based on your previous posts) from bi-amping to increasing power with additional complementary components to leaving well enough alone for now would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys for your assistance.

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

I'd have to say all the above will work flawlessly with them.

One thing I would also be inclined to say is the Earthquake CineNova Grande 5. Bi-amp the speaker to push close to 600 watts to it and only one word, WOW.

I heard it compared to the Bryston 4B SST on a set of 802S, and in my honest opinion, the Earthquake bi-amped was just more effortless and sounded very close to the Bryston. Now when you used just one channel of CineNova, you could tell where the Bryston sounded better. But I was just amazed at what the CineNova could do at the price it was.

I'm very highly considering that combo (with the HTM1) and then the CineNova 3 to push 805s in the rear and to add the bi-amped channel to the HTM1.

Lots and lots of choices out there!!!
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• jordi
                        • Dec 2004

Have B&K equipment - worried :-|

Hi all,

I'm a little concerned regarding equipment driving 803D's. I have ordered a set up 803D's, upgrading from current 703's. I have B&K pre-amp Reference 50 with B&K Reference 200.7. The amp is 200w at 8 ohms and 375 at 4 ohms violating the double the power when reducing the resistance in half. Any thoughts on the B&K equipment with the new 803D's?

Thanks for the input.
                        Jordi

Comment

• srb
                          • Oct 2004

Doubing the power at half the impedance is something I only see with the very best (and most expensive) amps.

The Rotel RB-1095, rated at 200W/ch @ 8ohms (20-20 kHz, < 0.03%), can only muster 330W/ch @ 4ohms - and then that rating is quoted at 1kHz, 1%!

Sounds like your B&K is a pretty good design, as far as 5-channel 200W amps go.

Comment

• Romanesq
                            • Feb 2005

70% Classical means....

You want as much refinement in the amp. Rotel is okay, but is not refined. Think of big McCormack or new Krell integrated, etc.

I run the 803 Nautilus with a twice modified McCormack DNA-2 Deluxe Rev. A, platinum.

It's holy friggin out of this world good. Put on SACD Bocelli and look out.

Comment

• sorpe
                              • Jan 2005

I've got a MC402

and preparing the N803 landing. The amp is fantastic, even in a "rude" environment.

My energy goes into cable (banned here) evaluation. No questions asked anymore. I have to find out a decent source of information.

sorin

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                                • Mar 2005

I also disagree that 250 watts is madatory; but it is true the Nautilus line does like power, I would put an emphasis on quality power.

In past experience with N803's, I used a Levinson No.383 (100w) and a BAT VK-200 (100w) and these sounded ok, but when I changed to a Rowland Concentra II (150w) it really transformed the N803's.

(Don't confuse these two statements, they are separate; I am not saying the ML and BAT were not quality. The second paragraph is me simply sharing my experience.)
                                Last edited by OmegaSpeed; 02 March 2005, 10:54 Wednesday. Reason: Adding more info.

Comment

• rolski
                                  • Feb 2005

I'm using two N803's in my TAG-McLaren / B&W system, each powered by two bridged 80W modules (from my 100xR:10 power Amp) - i.e. 160W per channel.
                                  Coupled with the rest of my TAG McLaren gear - and I cannot emphasise enough what an incredible difference the on-board room-correction makes - my N803's really sing ! :T
                                  For info, my room's 3.5*5.0m, and the rest of my B&W's are 601S3's with an ASW675 to keep them company.

And I've ordered a 250x3R Amp to give the N803's a little more "exercise" - whilst saving to upgrade to 802D's.... 8O

Comment

• sugarmedia
                                    • Feb 2005

Check this one out Sorpe. I just bought the A5 setup...it's worth looking into.

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/mf/en...s.jsp?nid=3760

You may find Rotel to be grossly underpowered and not clean, as well as considered the "Entry level Units" to hifi. Hope I didn't hurt any Rotel owner's feelings.

Comment

• js24
                                      • Feb 2005

sorpe,
                                      what kind of preamp did you match the 402 with?
                                      congrats. on your new system, they must sound awsome

Comment

• sorpe
                                        • Jan 2005

The amplifier is the very first piece of my new system. I tested it with N803S and McIntosh all the way down. Yes, it is hard to find out words.

Now I'm looking for in wall cables, since I have to finish the basement, first. Once that done, I'll get the speakers and only the next is the pre and transport. From the experts, McIntosh all the way is the unmistakable path. I'll see.

However, my radar is on for any breaking news. We have a show in montreal, begining of april, and who knows. The budget is secured.

sorin

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"