X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zoran
    • Apr 2005

803S - personal review

This is my first full review of any product after approx. 15 or so years audiophilia behind, so it’s natural I want to share my impressions with audio fellows exactly over here on Htguide forum – IMO the most qualified place today to talk about B&W as consumer.

There are two parts of this review: my audiophile B&W STORY and the REVIEW. Feel free to skip the story if found full text too long – I just considered such an intro as possibly helpful for better understanding…

MY B&W STORY:
    I am passionate B&W fan from 1991, when I have met their magic with DM 310, very nice pair standmounts – revealing, totally accurate, if a bit bass shy – quite normal given the size… Driven by (now so romantic in my eyes/ears) Marantz PM-550DC (65/90 Wpc), DM 310 was a real transcendental initiation into the real HI FI… My passion which eats greedily a huge percent of my money today, being my personal spiritual sanctuary in this not too happy part of Europe… And it will remain being so.

I sold my DM 310 in 1996, upgrading to new DM 602, until 1997 when I turned to floorstanders, DM 604. I upgraded to new DM 604S3 in 2001 (all that DM’s have been driven by various Rotel amps), accomplishing quite an extensive experience with entry level DM Series – in a few words: excellent drivers, poorish cabinetry in most aspects, cheap internal wiring… Too many compromises which spoil their great sonic potentials.

Being not satisfied enough by upscale CM amd CDM ranges (auditioned many times at B&W’ authorised retailer KODI Audio Center shops in Skopje throughout last 7-8 years), I have gathered my forces (sold 604S3 and a few smaller items) in 2004 and decided to go directly to the B&W highest range. Nautilus.

Small wonder N805 was only affordable (1800Euro) Nautilus for me. Driven by Rotel combo RC-1090/RB-1080 and Vincent SV-236 hybrid integrated (front: Marantz CD-6000KI Sign. and Vincent CD-S3; cabling: Kimber, VDH and Audioquest), smallish N805 have been showing me (full 12 months) a brave new world of sonic excellence and extravagance, unreachable for lesser DM, CM and CDM Series speakers… True sonic giant, with a bit too brave tweeter with certain recordings, but…

Being an audioholic, I found myself unresisting to upgrade again. A few months ago, in May 2005 I sold both Rotels and N805 and got the biggest investment (based on extended payment) - two pairs of recently released B&W top 800 Series: 803S and 805S.

REVIEW: 803S
    I faced the sweetest dilemma when received two pairs brand new boxed speakers: which one to try first? As a kid always takes the bigger chocolate first, I didn’t resist to unpack and hook - 803S.

Man, they are really bulky and – heavy! Unpacking was quite a demanding work for two hands only, so my wife’ assistance was welcome. According the B&W web, 803S weights 41kg net. I would estimate a bit less, given only 42kg declared as shipping weight on the external carton box – such size of carton itself must be about 5-6kg, so estimated net weight of speaker should be not above 36-37kg each (I wrote to B&W about this – they replied not precisely enough, mentioned only their concern to reconsider weight items published on web). Recalling old Nautilus Series weight, the predecessor N803 measured only 30kg, according B&W’ web, again. That 11 kilos extra weight (if accurate) into the same cabinet sounds amazing for 803S in terms of internal extra work/material invested, isn’t it? I must say that rosenut finish failed cut my breath – OK, it’s top quality veneer, but color wise I still prefere gorgeous red cherry finish of my recently sold N805s – magnificent mahagony redish color and finest texture… Beside underwhelming, slightly deja-vu (for me) colour, I want to say this is a true masterpiece of modern industrial design. Seems to be excellently braced/dampened – cabinet almost deadly hard and unechoic on knocking. Not only taller, but also much deeper and wider than N805. With grills lifted, this speaker has truly stunning appearance.

Amplifier:
    I am fully aware that 100Wpc (500VA toroidal transformer) Vincent SV-236 hybrid integrated might be not current capable to drive such sized floorstanders properly, but having not preamp temporarily (own only Halo A21 power, still boxed), this is only choice at the moment. Rich, lush, polite, accurate enough, light-weight balanced sound – was fine match with N805.

Front, cabling:
    I hooked Marantz front: CD-6000KI Signature (interconnect Kimber PBJ) and DR-17 recorder/player (interconnect Van Den Hul D102Mk3), plus third CD player Onkyo DX-7210 (interconnect Ixos Gamma Audition II). My reference CD player Vincent CD S3 sleeps in the box last months. Old tuner Technics for warming-up. Speaker cables Audioquest Type 6+, full biwiring configured with 4 pieces of cabel, 3m each.

Room:
    About 26m2, ceiling 2,35m. Square form, living room, no acoustic treatment.

I have started first session with preliminary warming-up of the Vincent SV-236 amp via tuner, since the amplifier was boxed about three months. After about five hours at low-to-moderate level, I put the first CD in Marantz CD-6000KI, Joey De Francesco “Singin’ and Swingin’” (2001). Never met this CD as sound reference anywhere throughout audio press and Internet, but for me this is one of benchmark recordings for audio nirvana. Try and you’ll see – one of the best Hammond B-3 recordings ever made IMO.

First tones emerged as exciting, rich and joyful texture, perfectly accurate, with no sign of tweeter graininess so typical for brand new speakers (I limited amp’s level at “9-9.30 o clock” - perhaps upper db levels might showed some grainy artefacts?) - I’d guess there must have been some factory drill which has already broken-in 803S to certain degree. Bass fundament incomparable over N805 – much deeper, punchier, full bodied, with much better pitch accuracy than my older DM-604/604S3 (all 604s produce quite an unarticulated low frequency response, was often pitchless to my ears – boomy, sometimes unlistenable). I must admit some degree of boominess in 803S bass as well, likely due to poor speaker position, too close to the rear wall (only 40cm, due to limited space). There is a very deep bass pedal note on the opening part of tune 12 (Danny Boy) – 803S captured it and expanded throughout the room, causing glaces resonances all over. I’ve changed listening locations a few times, noticing a few positions in corners where bass was even too prominent. Pulling speakers forward, clearer of the rear wall caused boominess gone (unsuccessful manoeuvre with 604s at a time)! I can’t say that was the deepest bass I’ve ever heard – good woofer goes deeper, but 803S is HI FI device, not disco enhancer. Anyway, very satisfying bass for my taste.

Tune 4 (Did You Hear Him Holler) has one of the purest and richest organ tones I’ve ever heard. 803S - cold from the box - showed ability to portray that organ (listened million times on dozens of equipment) in totally organic, vibrant, fresh manner, if slightly colder (unwarmed-up amplifier?) and more laid-back than N805, which have been delivering freshness in abundance at a time. Don’t get me wrong, there was not any veil on 803S mids, just different flavour and very slightly laid-back (darker) timber of organ tones. It seemed that subtle degree of lesser midband openness compared to N805 might be just a break-in issue? Too early for final judgement, anyway, then and today, after only 100-150 hours. It is maybe ear/brain accommodation, but today I am not quite sure is it exist as smaller degree of openness. Just slightly different flavour - that’s all, I think.

Tweeter response was clearly tamed compared to N805, which strengthened mentioned laid-back, seductive, darkish flavour of 803S textures over N805. Very satisfying for me, since I’ve been finding N805 tweeter too extravert with good deal of my best recordings and unforgiving for poor ones... At a time, comparing it with DM-604S3, I found N805’ tweeter somehow “wideband”, delivering surprisingly more information than DM Series tweeters, so familiar to my ears for years. Easily notable if you concentrate on some good drums solo, on cymbals and so in particular... I felt the same with 803S, which employes the same tweeter as the Signature 800/805 line had (recently discontinued). I wouldn’t say I was able to distinguish it in clearest degree, but had an impression new tweeter not only tamed, but also for a whisker smoother and more musical over original N805.

Only fifteen exciting minutes of astonishing Joey De Francesco recording was quite enough to make me smiling, getting know that just purchased my best (and far priciest, of course) speaker ever. Showed very promising sonic abilities cold from the box, clearly outperformed N805... Plus, sweet imagination what a leap must be when introduce new amplification based on Halo A21...

Presented basic sonic picture was only strengthened by plenty of other CDs throughout next days of extensive listening sessions: Audiophile Reference SACD FIM 029 contents several timeless recordings - my favourite is Georgia On My Mind (tune 5), with warmest jazz-guitar solo I’ve heard. 803S enriched this delusively lush recording with new flavour of delicacy and self-confidence. Marvellous! Repeating the guitar solo several times, I found myself truly sunk into music... I love Dave Gruisin’ “Homage To Duke” (GRP 1993) because of full deep bass notes and excellent brass arrangements, perfectly suitable for testing transient speed (particularly tune 6, Caravan) - was done flawlessly by 803S. Steely Dan “Two Against Nature” emerged as one of the best pieces of music, and recording masterpiece too, latest years in my collection. Opening tune Gaslighting Abbie has stunning punch (bass/drums) and richness (electric guitar timbre), kicking the stomach every time, even through lesser equipment. I found low-end being fat, rich, easily delivered, emerging further potentials with prospective bigger amp behind... Diane Krall’ version of “Is You or Is You Ain’t My Baby” (compilation Greatest Jazz Melodies) contents a very bravely recorded cymbals, which usually sounds truly bright on tons of equipment so far. On my (and my audio fellows) surprise, we all perceived these cymbals, for first time so far, as quite normal part of entire sound picture - not as central event! There is a very representative compilation of jazz flute recordings from 60’s, published by Italian “Musica Jazz” magazine (1995). Most of compositions have incredibly well recorded flutes from 60’s, in the richest analog manner - this is absolutely fantastic how 803S played them. Last tune Duke Ellington’ Intimate Interlude has a astonishing bass clarinet intro - to die for! So deeeep, so clean, so spacious... Further listening of Chick Corea “Origin”, Naim sampler I and II (Hi Fi Choice), various other Diane Krall CDs, Quincy Jones, stunning classics from Bach, Shostakovich, Brahms..., especially Erato CD of Ton Coopman, Dutch clavicembalo player, helped me to acquire full picture of 803S abilities after a few weeks living with them...

As for imaging - fairly deep front-to-back perspective, even not the deepest (due to not-so-convenient room placement), which has becoming dramatically better when pull speakers further from the back wall... Pity that I must accept poor permanent speaker position in the living room - this is not America, I don’t have dedicated entertainment room. I would be able to survive with some boominess in bass region, I think, knowing this is placement artefact only. Left-to-right imaging seems to be the same like N805 before, means very respectable. 803S provides an illusion of overall bigger scene, which should be normal, given the bulk and higher price tag than N805. Interesting, when got approached closer to the speaker (about 80-100cm) and closing eyes, it looks that sound comes from some much larger source than the driver itself is.
    803S tends to pull solo instruments a bit forward and up, woodwind and brass in particular. I was slightly underwhelmed by portraying some female voices, spotting a bit nasal vocals, but only first several days. Now it seems to be gone as speakers passed some critical break-in 100-200 hours - exception remain some poor recordings from 50’s (Ella Fitzgerald).

After all, my question of a million bucks. How would the 803S play vs Dynaudio Confidence C1 standmount - far the best speaker I’ve heard before 803S. My fellow is planning to bring his C1s from Croatia soon. There will be a big session in my place...

Question of 10 millions. Is 803S my last word to B&W? I don’t know. Next pick has to justify sonically eventual upgrading and a small fortune to invest... I don’t feel 803D deserves this. Maybe 802D. If can afford 5k extra for speakers, and double larger living room... Never say never.

Cheers,

Zoran, Macedonia

PS: Hoping this too large piece of text will justify the time I’ve invested in terms of helpful set of impressions and info. English is not my mother tongue, so I apologize for language imperfection. Thank you all.

Aussie Geoff here - A great review Zoran, and thank you so much for taking the time to post it. I have taken the liberty of editing to put some spaces between paragraphs to make it easer for people to read through - I hope you don't mind....

Thanx Aussie, for kind words and editing - I don’t mind it, of course. Actually, I’ve reedited a few more verbal nuances plus for easier reading...

Zoran
    Last edited by Zoran; 07 August 2005, 18:28 Sunday.
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

Zoran, THANK YOU for such a wonderful review! I thoroughly enjoyed reading every word of your review. In any language, your passion and love of music is apparent. I too am considering upgrading. At the moment i have the 805S and would like to get either the 803S or 803D.

I look forward to reading more of your posts...

Congratulations on the new speakers!!!

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

About time Zoran! I have been waiting for your feedback on the 803S. However, your thorough review left out the comparisons and contrasts between the 803S and the older N803. Got anything to add?
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

A very well crafted review Zoran, which would have taken you a long time to write. An impressive range of music too!

Comment

• wca156
          • Jun 2005

Great review Zoran! However, my thoughts on the 803S's are different. I don't consider myself an audiophile, I just love music. Thirty years ago I had what I thought was a great set of speakers. I had them for about 5 years and I experienced music through these speakers. Well I raised a family and grew a business. All through this period I "listened" to the music rather than experiencing the music. A few months ago I decided to get a new system and as part of the system I bought the 803S's. I found that I could again get lost in the pure beauty of the sound. I could get passionate about the music and walk away invigorated like I did so many years earlier.

I'm sure other speakers could have done the same for me, but it was the B&W 803S's that I bought and they gave me back something that I didn't realize that I had lost. For that I'm very greatful.
          Bill

Comment

• Zoran
            • Apr 2005

Thank you friends for kind reception! I am truly happy we found the common frequency...

Tboooe, you make me proud on my first true audio review attempt! I would be really glad to know about your impressions on 805S, since my pair still sleeps in the box. I do not plan any surround (straight conservative two-channel-only guy!), just a second system in my smallish working room...

RebelMan, we have already shared some thoughts relating N803 vs 803S... I don’t feel myself able to make valid, serious comparison between the two, due to minor sonic experience with N803 - never owned them, I’ve been listening a pair of N803 only at dealer rooms (quite poor acoustics IMO), even many times, BUT with different amplification, sources and so... Any categorical sonic assessment under such conditions is being simply out of true...

I’ve spoken at a time only about anticipated technical advantages of 803S over older N803, due to newer technologies employed and 11 kilos extra bulk in case of 803S... Sound wise, I would guess certain sonic advantages in favour of 803S, but this is just anticipation, without direct sonic proof... Some guidance might be perhaps a HI FI Choice review of new 805S (a few months ago, not available on-line unfortunately), where 805S clearly beats N805 in all aspects, even sonically defeats much pricier, luxurious beauties Signature 805...

I will hook my 805S soon (waiting to break-in 803S completely), maybe within a month or two, so I will be able to make valid comparison to N805, since owned N805 a full year.

Thanx all once again,

Zoran

Comment

• tboooe
              • Jun 2005

Zoran: I have the 805S combined with Rotel rb1080 and nordost red dawn ic and speaker cables. They are only 3 weeks old so I am still getting used to them. My initial impression is that they are very clear and detailed and a little warmer than the 7 series. The midrange is smooth. The bass is tight but there is definitely something missing, but this is to be expected with such small speakers. In my small listening area, the sound stage is very good with excellent projection. When I really turn up the volume though, the 805s begin to fatigue a bit. The sound becomes leaner and more muddled as the speakers try to cope with the higher volumes. At low to medium listening levels they sound great. Maybe because of their size, they do lack presence. They fill the room nicely but do not seem to "own" the music and project it in a 3 dimensional manner.

Overall I am very happy with the 805S. Eventually these will move into my bedroom and I hope to get the 803S or 803D maybe paired up with a parasound halo or classe amp. I think I will keep the nordost cables as I like their immediacy and clarity.

Hope this helps Zoran. I would be curious to read your thoughts on the 805 after you have had a chance to listen to them.

Comment

• Zoran
                • Apr 2005

Yes, tboooe - bass issue is being always main complain with small speakers, including highest range of B&W - Nautilus 805 (as I pointed in the review above), and likely their newer version 805S. Obviously, B&W design team have been concentrated on other attributes, not on deepest possible bass from that size od speaker... Otherwise, 805 is being truly masterpiece of design.

But, not all standmounts have shy bass response. I have been listening various Dynaudio standmounts, from entry-level Audience 52, via upscale Contour 1.3MkII/1.3SE, to flagship Confidence C1 (friend of mine is true Dyn fan) - their bass performance is much more prominent. Of course, at expence of some degree of subtlety/delicacy in midrange, IMO (exception is Confidence C1 - sonic giant among standmouts).

I think fatiguing should be not issue with speakers of 805S format... I would recommend considering role of RB-1080 - I have played this amp with N805, and must admite becoming definitely underwhelmed in some aspects. 1080 behave well technically speaking, but I have been consistently acquireing impression that RB-1080 fails to capture last degree of musicality, warmth and finest nuances N805 was capable to deliver with other amps - even my cheapar Vincent SV-236 hybrid (not to mention McIntosh and similar high-end designs).

If you remain stick to Rotels, you could consider upgrade to RB-1090, which is claimed as much warmer and romantic sounding than 1080 (according to many editorial/consumer reviews available on Internet). Otherwise, Parasound Halo A21, even smaller A23 should provide romantic, lush, musical flavour you obviously need.

Zoran

Comment

• tboooe
                  • Jun 2005

Zoran:

I am actually in the process of looking to upgrade from the 1080 to a Parasound a21 amp and p3 preamp. I will also add a REL sub sometime in the near future.

I think the rotel's are nice equipment. Good value but you are right, they just dont get you the last degree. Parasound does not either but is closer. The evil thing about our hobby is that you keep on paying more and more for less and less improvement. I think I will stop at the parasounds...at least that what I tell my wife!

Comment

• Zoran
                    • Apr 2005

Tboooe. Be careful when choosing mating preamp. Avoid toys like RC-1070, if remain stick to Rotels - this is not serious design for level where you are. RC-1090 goes much further... If turn to Halos, P3 should be suitable match for smaller A23, but not for A21, just my impression - this big boy deserves something better. I'm planning to get Primare PRE30 stereo preamp - one of truly decent two-channel preamps for affordable money.

Never met anyone mated Primare and Parasound, but expect fine results...

Comment

• tboooe
                      • Jun 2005

Zoran, why do you think the halo p3 will not be a good match for the a21? I heard the Primare amps paired with B&W and they sounded VERY smooth. I am afraid that the pre30 is more than I want to spend right now.

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Zoran
                        Tboooe. Be careful when choosing mating preamp. Avoid toys like RC-1070
                        Zoran, comparing the specs for the RC-1090 and the RC-1070, they don't appear to be that much different. The 1090 has more line level inputs, phono MC input, and XLR output, but not everyone needs these. So why is the 1070 a toy? [In a B&W context of course]

Total Harmonic Distortion (20Hz-20kHz): 1090 = < 0.004%; 1070 = < 0.006%
                        Intermodulation Distortion (60 Hz : 7 kHz, 4:1): 1090 = < 0.004%; 1070 = < 0.006%
                        Line Level Input Sensitivity: 1090 = 150 mV/18 kOhms; 1070 = 150 mV/24 kOhms
                        Line Level Signal to Noise Ratio: 1090 = 100 dB; 1070 = 95 dB
                        Line Level Input Frequency Response: 1090 = 4Hz-100kHz, ± 0.5dB; 1070 = 4Hz – 100kHz, +0, -3dB
                        Output Sensitivity / Impedance: 1090 = 1 V/100 Ohms; 1070 = 1V/100 Ohms

Comment

• gauss
                          • Jun 2005

Thank's Zoran for a very nice review. :T

I have been on vacation for some days and came back yesterday and found that my new 803S had just arrived so it was interesting to compare my initial impressions to yours when I found your review.

I agree with your impressions, no boomyness though, but on the other hand I have my speakers about 1.2m from the back wall. Room size is similar but then every room is different acoustically.

I have to agree with wca156 too, these speakers really draw you into the music. I have listened to a lot of speakers lately, I also currently own a pair of PMC FB1+ speakers, many have been more spectacular but none have made me want to listen to the music as much as these. Sometimes I have found myself skipping tracks just to find something more spectacular or to find out just how that speaker would handle a particular sequence. The sad thing about these spectacular speakers is that with many recordings they have been unlistenable. These B&Ws are less bright than many of the speakers I have listened to recently, including PMC FB1+ (which are excellent at their price level by the way) which may to some extent explain why they are less spectacular with some recordings but on the other hand very musically satisfying. This is my first pair of B&W's but definitely not my last (I did promise my wife that I don't need to change speakers after this but if we should move and and I get a larger room in the future, those 802D's are very tempting).

I have felt that many speakers make the piano to sound a bit bright and exaggerated, but not the 803S's. I have also found 803S's to have a harmonic richness and fullness that I have found lacking in many other speakers.

So far however, I find that the bass is slightly lacking in depth, but this is likely due to lack of break in time. The 804S's I had on loan from the dealer before the purchase played more bass to my recollection.

I also found it interesting to read about how tboooe experienced his 805S's. I also found with the 804S's I had on loan that the sound became muddled and slightly strained at higher volumes (have not really cranked up the volume to very high levels with my new 803S's but so far I have not heard this). I have the same speaker cable as tboooe and with all other speakers I have tried I have found this cable to be on the lean side even though I admire it's positive qualities as pointed out by tboooe.

Finally I would like to thank the members of this forum whose posts have been of great help to me when deciding on my 803S's.

Comment

• Zoran
                            • Apr 2005

tboooe, bigburner

Did you receive my private mails? Could you post overhere, either tboooe or bigburner, interior pictures of both Rotel RC-1070 and RC-1090 (my post failed with pictures, possible computer/software error), just to see why do I call RC-1070 "toy"?

Zoran, Macedonia

Comment

• tboooe
                              • Jun 2005

zoran: I got your PM but accidently deleted it. Please resend and I will be happy to post the pix for you.

Comment

• bigburner
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

Zoran, I haven't received a PM from you. I'm interested in seeing those photos though.

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Zoran, thanks for the PM.

I don't think that the amount and size of electronics are valid criteria by which one can assess electronic equipment. I work for a multi-national computer company. If you look inside one of our 1985 computers it's far more impressive than a 2005 computer. A server in 1985 is the size of a large refrigerator and is packed with components. The equivalent server today has very few components in comparison, fits into a rack, and is 100 times the power. So I think that the specifications of a piece of electronic equipment are a more valid measurement of performance than the physical characteristics.

Of course all of the above should be read in the context of Rotel gear working in conjunction with B&W speakers, otherwise we'd be having this discussion in Club Rotel...
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Zoran
                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                                    Zoran, thanks for the PM.

I don't think that the amount and size of electronics are valid criteria by which one can assess electronic equipment. I work for a multi-national computer company. If you look inside one of our 1985 computers it's far more impressive than a 2005 computer. A server in 1985 is the size of a large refrigerator and is packed with components. The equivalent server today has very few components in comparison, fits into a rack, and is 100 times the power. So I think that the specifications of a piece of electronic equipment are a more valid measurement of performance than the physical characteristics.

Of course all of the above should be read in the context of Rotel gear working in conjunction with B&W speakers, otherwise we'd be having this discussion in Club Rotel...
                                    That's correct for most of digital machines...
                                    But, in my opinion, as far as we're talking about the components with analogue power supply - size DOES matter.
                                    Anyway, the RC1070 is more as a passive preamp, that's correct.

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Fair point.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"