803S/805S setup - now up and running, and yes, it's impressive!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzyjez
    • Oct 2007

803S/805S setup - now up and running, and yes, it's impressive!

In October 2007 I asked the question on this forum: "Is an 803/4/5 setup too large for my room?" To briefly recap, I was initially considering the 700 series, but was then trying to determine whether the 800 series would work for me given my slightly narrow room (12ft / 3.7m) and my wishes for both great stereo 2.0 sound and 5.1 for movies.

Well I received several responses, so Soundgravy, RebelMan, Briz vegas, BassThatHz and ShadowZA, I'd like to now say "thank-you very much" for your excellent advice and comments, and also let you know that I pretty much went with the consensus... and this was what I ended up with: Fronts: 803S, Center: HTM3S (on stand), Rears: 805S on stands, Sub: ASW825.

Are they too big? No, although it was quite a shock when we got all the boxes in the room... I did begin to think I'd made a major error of judgment, but once unpacked, they fit in very nicely. How do they look? Superb, they're in the cherry finish which is really beautiful. So how do they sound? Absolutely excellent (more on this later). Has this "project" succeeded? Oh, yes! (Well for now, anyway, but there's definitely a second phase yet to come, i.e. better amplification.)

I'm currently driving everything with a Yamaha 3800 receiver (140W/ch). Since this is a 7.1 unit, I'm able to bi-amp the front 803S, which does make up to some extent for this being a "lesser" amplifier than most on this board would recommend for these speakers. That point was raised by several people at the outset, but I needed to get the system working, and then bide my time for a while before I could consider a higher-end amp setup. Since this is my first foray into 5.1, the 3800 has been a very good way to get started. It does a great job of selecting/switching the various components -- certainly a far cry from my "olde" Quad 33 that it's replaced! I have a few issues but they're likely outside the scope of this forum. As I said, I find the sound to be excellent -- and it's a very pleasing sound, although I do get the impression that it's perhaps slightly compressed. This is true even at moderate listening levels; at higher volumes you can just sense a little harshness creeping in too -- both of these effects, I'm sure, are amplifier related and so are probably holding the speakers back from being at their very best. For the wiring, I bought a couple of reels of Liberty 2 pair x 12 AWG THX speaker cable and then spent what seemed like forever soldering on 4 mm plugs.

So that's my update on the story so far. One thing I'm curious about... the Yamaha (and I'd guess, many similar receivers) has an option to optimize the sound in some way -- you plug a mic into it and it runs through various test tones and pink noise bursts, etc. Then after a couple of minutes you get some graphs showing how it's adjusted its parametric equalizers to compensate for room and speaker effects. I spent a couple of days listening to the system after it had done this, but I always felt that sound was "hollow". So I then reverted to having no equalization -- in my opinion, a much better sound, and have not gone back in over two months now. It made me wonder if such automatic processes are to some extent taking away the natural sound of the speakers. After all, if you could equalize away such deficiencies, that would imply even cheap speakers could be made to sound equal to much better ones, yet that clearly isn't true. I suppose if you have a room that has certain strong resonances then you could benefit from suppressing those frequencies. What are your views on this topic in relation to use with high-end speakers such as the B&Ws? Is this just a gimmick so receiver manufacturers can put yet another logo on their front panels?

Thanks again for such a great forum.
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Thank you for the mention, jazzyjez. You've got a superbly matched system there as far as your speakers go. :T Wishing you many hours of pure unadulterated audio bliss.

I hope that you don't mind if I offer an opinion. To get the best possible sound out of your speakers (given that your source material is reasonably up to scratch), it is best that the signal is passed to the speakers with as little and un-cluttered interference as possible. A "good" component in the chain will help to achieve this whilst a "bad" component will draw attention to itself and be noticed. To get the very best out of ones system takes plenty of time, listening sessions and being careful especially in the realm of personal finances. Never ever mortgage your home in order to purchase hi-fi.

My own intention regarding upgrades is/was to get the very best equipment:
    - within a particular price range,
    - that added as little information as possible to the original signal,
    - that is/was well known to be good,
    - that has a listed specification that is recognised to be true,
    - and satisfied me during a listening session.

Having these as my goals plus having the support of finances and the family, it enabled me to take my time in component selection and go for the ones which met my selection criteria.

If I can mention this: A good pre-amp/surround processor is worth it weight in gold imho. So is separate power amplification, the best of which tend to be mono blocks. Of course a decent source player is essential as is proper acoustic room treatment too.

My advice is to take your time, scrutinize this forum as much as you can. Look at folks' systems as detailed in their profiles. Good brands to become aquainted with are Classe' (excellent match to B&W), Krell (my favourite amp brand), McIntosh and others. What is extremely important is that you try to spend as much time as you can in auditioning equipment using music that you are familiar with.

Good luck, keep us posted & enjoy the music. That's what it's all about.

Comment

• scanido
      • Apr 2006

Congrats on the new speakers!!!

When i first got my 803S I had them in my smallish bedroom (16' X 11') and also thought i made a mistake. I had to use the port plugs though as the bass was overwhelming, even running them on my RSX-1057.

I'm sure you should be fine with your Yamaha, as I ran almost the same setup on a receiver and as long as you dont push the limit of the speaker/reciever you should be fine.

I would leave the room correction disabled. Who knows what it's adding or taking away from the signal.

Any pics????

Comment

• joetama
        • May 2006

Originally posted by scanido
        Congrats on the new speakers!!!

When i first got my 803S I had them in my smallish bedroom (16' X 11') and also thought i made a mistake. I had to use the port plugs though as the bass was overwhelming, even running them on my RSX-1057.

I'm sure you should be fine with your Yamaha, as I ran almost the same setup on a receiver and as long as you dont push the limit of the speaker/reciever you should be fine.

I would leave the room correction disabled. Who knows what it's adding or taking away from the signal.

Any pics????
        I ran the Room Correction on my 703 when I first go them... Sounded like poo. SO I would defiantly leave the Room Correction off. I used it to get my delay but that was it.

The Yamaha is a decent product, but upgrading to something a bit better will shock you with the difference.
        -Joe

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Congrats on your new system Jazzyjez :T , you didnt think we would steer you wrong did you? :W

You are on the right track in your quest for audio nirvana, as you mentioned the next step will be to upgrade your upstream components, take your time in picking these out and if possible at all demo these in your own home, usually dealers will allow you to "check out" items for a weekend for this purpose.

Besides your upstream upgrades, you will also enjoy improvements with your system if you allow room for proper speaker placement and acoustic treatments. These two things are just as important as what equipment you choose, and can really make or break a great sounding system.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Mig17
            • Jan 2008

yamaha & BW is quite clean but yamaha never have the dynamic of Rotel 1057

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"